Mercury Tracker 125?

I'm looking at a 99 tracker Mercury, but I can't seem to cross reference any of the numbers on the plate, open to advice. I appreciate your help.

jeremy lin wallpaper

What information do you desire? It is a an inline 4cyl and is a 2+2 carburetor motor. Max RPM is 5250. These motors idle on 2 cylinders then the other two come on line about 1800 RPM. They are reliable but an ancient design. Use good 2stroke oil plus having them free of carbon and a good link & sync procedure will make it an easy starting one too. YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK/REPLACE THE FUEL LINES. That era was bad for deterioration from ethanol.

First Start of the day Procedure:
    1. Pump the bulb firm
    2. Push in on the center button on the throttle.
    3. Move Throttle to the high idle position
    4. Turn key to “On” without cranking the motor.
    5. Push key in and count to 10.
    6. Crank motor.
    If it stalls repeat 4-6 but only count to 5.

After the first start, normally, you just have to pump the bulb then crank it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    What information do you desire? It is a an inline 4cyl and is a 2+2 carburetor motor. Max RPM is 5250. These motors idle on 2 cylinders then the other two come on line about 1800 RPM. They are reliable but an ancient design. Use good 2stroke oil plus having them free of carbon and a good link & sync procedure will make it an easy starting one too. YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK/REPLACE THE FUEL LINES. That era was bad for deterioration from ethanol.

1. Pump the bulb firm
    6. Crank motor.

Your advice and information are appreciated!

I just don't understand why I can't cross reference one of these numbers that are on the tag.

It's funny you say it's an ancient design, I had a mid-70s Evinrude V4, and then I stepped it up to a 1988 90 horse 3 cylinder... I want the four-cylinder Mercury cuz I know it's easy to work on
    Last edited by leckbass; 10-14-2022 at 09:32 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's because the "tag" is an EMISSIONS tag.

Look at the Starboard Side of the swivel bracket. There should be a light gray tag there with the engine's Serial Number (it's identifier).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's because the "tag" is an EMISSIONS tag.

Look at the Starboard Side of the swivel bracket. There should be a light gray tag there with the engine's Serial Number (it's identifier).
    I was able to have the owner send me a picture of the freeze plug

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post

1. Pump the bulb firm
    6. Crank motor.

/\/\/\this 100%/\/\/\
    Man, knows the engine and very well......I've got the same engine, 125, I ran the 115 before that.....very reliable, tough, pretty powerful, the shift to 4 cylinders @ 1800 is no biggie, but, you'll know it when it happens. I've loved both of them. They're easy to service yourself....plugs, filters, etc.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    /\/\/\this 100%/\/\/\
    Man, knows the engine and very well......I've got the same engine, 125, I ran the 115 before that.....very reliable, tough, pretty powerful, the shift to 4 cylinders @ 1800 is no biggie, but, you'll know it when it happens. I've loved both of them. They're easy to service yourself....plugs, filters, etc.
    I bought it! Can't wait to get it on my boat. Need to replace the trim motor and the Tilt tube and then I'll hang it on a stand and get working on everything else.

8. Member
    Congrats! You get er locked in and they're a fine outboard....