Thread: Jigs

Banned

Jigs

Fall fishing, if you had to guess what percentage of what you're throwing is jigs when the water gets into the 60s-50s in the fall? Football, finesse, etc.?

2. Member
    I've never really had a tone of success with a jig once the temps drop. My fall go to's are the typical jerkbaits, swimbaits, ds, so maybe 10% is jig. That being said... I've been practicing for an event this weekend and have been absolutely crushing smallmouth on a 3/4 black/GP with the z-man batwing trailer. Probably going to be the only rod on deck come saturday.

I don't tend to throw them a lot for largemouth in the fall for whatever reason. I know they work, and I've caught some of my bigger fish on full-size football and flipping jigs in the fall. It's just more fun to catch them on chatterbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, and jerkbaits I suppose. When it gets too cold for cranking and other cast-and-wind baits, I usually catch them on jerkbaits or blade baits.

Smallmouth, if they're not hitting a jerkbait or topwater walking bait (which is an absolute weapon for them at the water temps you mentioned), a finesse football jig comes out and almost always gets it done. I throw them a LOT in the fall. When it gets really cold, like below 40, blade baits or dragging a tube seems to work better. No idea why a tube works any better than that finesse football jig in the really cold stuff, could just be in my head, but I've tried both and the tube almost always does it. Of course you can never count out the drop shot for smallies, though I throw it less in the fall than any other time of year.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I mostly fish for smallmouth in the fall and I can get by with 5 baits. Basically in order from most productive:

Football Jig
    Ned Rig
    Swimbait
    Jerkbait
    Blade bait

i picked up some 2.75” tubes so I plan on trying those this coming fall
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Banned
    95%

I always have at least 2 jigs tied on at all times of the year.
    When the temps drop i still keep them on i just fish them slower and my trailers are much different. I dont use a trailer that has a lot of action like i would when the water is warmer.
    I use something for a trailer that just bulks the jig up. then fish it slow and deep. Most of the time its heavy football jigs.

7. Banned
    Good information. I've wondered if I should keep jigs tied on once the temp drops, so the question. Thanks all.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    I've never really had a tone of success with a jig once the temps drop. My fall go to's are the typical jerkbaits, swimbaits, ds, so maybe 10% is jig. That being said... I've been practicing for an event this weekend and have been absolutely crushing smallmouth on a 3/4 black/GP with the z-man batwing trailer. Probably going to be the only rod on deck come saturday.
    So how did the jig bite go?

9. Member
    Always a jig on deck

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Always a jig on deck

Yep. It's such a myth that they are only a cold water bait. They catch fish year round. Have won money throwing jigs in July and August many times.

11. Member
    I like to fish with moving baits in the fall if possible but I fish a jig anytime the fish are not chasing moving baits. Probably throw a jig 50% of the time.

12. Member
    I like a smaller jig with thinned out skirting in the fall / winter. If you see isolated wood and docks they hold heat and you can connect with some big girls. I always try reaction first, then if its apparent it’s not happening, I will happily switch to the jig and grind out a few.

One of the main jigs i have added in the last few years that I really rely on a lot is a Jewel Pee Wee Football Jig.
    they have a small profile, come in 7/16oz and have a thinner skirt than the heavy cover football jig.
    have been a real fish catcher for me the last couple of years.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve C. View Post
    So how did the jig bite go?
    Commit to the jig and you'll be rewarded. Took the win.

There is always several rods dedicated to jigs. With that said, there is many variations of jigs, and that is dependent on the body of water. a Standard 1/2oz is a staple. when fall comes around i start to move to Hair. I may have 3 variations of bucktail jigs tied on, as the water cools, the plastic trailer becomes pork. the smaller and slim profile mimics the crayfish pretty well. During that fall time I will go to a smaller compact jig with sparse fine rubber also. Rubber vs silicone is colder water, the rubber will be more alive and move just sitting. During that point where the fish move shallow, a feather jig (marabou) can be a lot of fun.
    So yes, jigs are a key bait for me in the fall...... I have been making all my jigs since the 70s and did sell for a while.