Thread: Pellet Question

Pellet Question

My pellet grill season is winding down. I'll depend on my gas grill for my limited outdoor cooks during the cold months. This is my first year with a pellet grill and I'm curious what some of you guys do at the end of the season with the pellets in the hopper? I live in northern Illinois and I'd like to know if I can leave the remaining pellets in the hopper for the winter or should I remove them? I know the outside air is drier during the winter months but wonder if some how the pellets will absorb moisture over the winter even though the grill is covered when not in use.

2. Member
    Recently got a RecTeq and was planning on using it all winter. Never crossed my mind not to.

3. Member
    If not using it for a while I would scoop or vacuum out the pellets and let the grill run out with it lit. Too much moisture from temperature changes could cause for a pain this spring
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    Why limit to warmer months. They work just fine in the cold weather.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    If not using it for a while I would scoop or vacuum out the pellets and let the grill run out with it lit. Too much moisture from temperature changes could cause for a pain this spring
    Thanks for the response. Your thoughts are similar to mine. I too wondered about the frequent temp change and it's possible effect on the pellets. There is a pretty good chance my pellet grill will sit idle for almost 5 months. I plan on cooking this years Thanksgiving turkey on the pellet grill and then cleaning it up after that cook. I'll remove the remaining pellets to be on the safe side.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Why limit to warmer months. They work just fine in the cold weather.
    I knew I'd probably get your question. :) For me it's really nothing more than a matter of convenience. My outdoor living/fun area is broken up into 2 levels. An upstairs deck and downstairs patio with a gas fire pit, my pellet grill and an eating area for 8. My gas grill sits on our deck just outside my kitchen patio door and is much easier to access particularly during the time the weather can be inclement.

7. Member
    If you store it inside in a garage leaving pellets in the hopper shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes I use mine in the winter and some winters I never touch it and I havn't had a single issue with the pellets. Winters here are mostly lower humidity so if anything the pelts actually get drier.
    John the Garage Doorman

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    This. I'm not in the cold but in the heat and humidity so If I know I'm not going to cook for a couple of weeks I empty the hopper and run it dry.

9. Member
    Always have stored grill inside no heated shop and use it a few times a month all winter. Never had an issue with humidity in the pellets.

10. Member
    I have had my RecTec for over 4 years and cook on it year round. If you don’t plan on using it through the winter my recommendation is to cook until the pellets in the hopper are gone and then do a thorough cleaning.

11. Member
    Use mine all year around--no problems---------YET !