Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Avid aluminum boat reviews?

Looking for opinions, never really loved the Ranger aluminum, always felt the quality was a bit lacking. Now looking at Vexus and Avid boats but strongly prefer the Avid dealer and have heard lots of stories about Vexus hull issues.

Anyone here have an Avid aluminum that they have run for a few years and can give honest feedback? I like the Yamaha, I like the dealer, just want feedback on the actual boats. Considering this XB19 here, the dealer has an XB20 coming soon as well that I want to look at: https://www.midsouthmarine.com/New-I...arine-12830884

2. Member
    Seen couple running Rayburn, never really up close. Dealer in Lufkin carries them Ranger and Tracker again haven’t stop to look.
    Vexus looks good there lack of warranty turned me off when looking last month. Really don’t want to be the test dummy for new technology.
    Fiberglass infused aluminum turned me off.

3. Member
    Fiberglass infused just means they use fiberglass components on an aluminum boat. Things like foot pedal tray, consol, certain trim panels etc.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdixer View Post
    Fiberglass infused just means they use fiberglass components on an aluminum boat. Things like foot pedal tray, consol, certain trim panels etc.
    “ this hybrid combination of aluminum and fiberglass delivers a clear, one-two punch to yesterday’s old school designs.”
    Vexus website

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
    “ this hybrid combination of aluminum and fiberglass delivers a clear, one-two punch to yesterday’s old school designs.”
    Vexus website
    Marketing lingo, its an aluminum boat with some fiberglass pieces. Nice boat, at least the one I rode in was. I've not seen an Avid boat, they look nice on the laptop.

6. Member
    i was expecting the 18xb to be a hot seller, but haven't really seen anyone talking about, or posting videos on youtube.

7. Member
    I have an 20xb that i have owened for about 6 months and absolutely love it. I came out of and 2003 alumacraft bass invader and the avid is night and day different. Its a very quiet ride compared to the alumacraft and much smoother. I love all the storage but have not totally figured out how i want it set up yet. Handles rough water well and pops right up on pad with no problem. I only have the 175 on the back and im running 56-57 fully loaded. Message me if you have any other questions

8. Member
    Marsh Man Masson, an Outdoor Writer and YouTuber, who lives in Slidell, LA, owns an Avid. He fishes the LA Marsh on a weekly basis, so he could give a reference on them.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

I could have gone aluminum or fiberglass with my recent boat search. Vexus warranty and hull issues turned me off with them. The dealer where I purchased my Caymas carried Avid and they are a nice boat with a nice price. I ended up with a leftover Caymas that cost way less then a comparable aluminum boat.

10. Member
    If speed is not your top priority, or if money is not an issue, and if big water capability is important to you, I would take a look at the Lund Pro V Bass. I honestly think it’s the highest quality aluminum hull going, and unlike other aluminum boats, the Pro V rides smoother than fiberglass. Of course, every boat has its pros and cons, but if the quality of the hull is your top consideration, I think Lund's are at the top of the heap.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 11-26-2022 at 12:53 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slabstacker View Post
    Looking for opinions, never really loved the Ranger aluminum, always felt the quality was a bit lacking. Now looking at Vexus and Avid boats but strongly prefer the Avid dealer and have heard lots of stories about Vexus hull issues.

Anyone here have an Avid aluminum that they have run for a few years and can give honest feedback? I like the Yamaha, I like the dealer, just want feedback on the actual boats. Considering this XB19 here, the dealer has an XB20 coming soon as well that I want to look at: https://www.midsouthmarine.com/New-I...arine-12830884
    2022 and up Vexus 1980 and 2080 are .125 hulls and transom. From what ive heard at a few different dealers they have had no issues with that new hull.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

Biggest issue with Avid is getting a response from the factory and lack of dealers. The new 21XB is nice but from what I read, factory response to dealers and owners is just crickets and its been this way for quite some time. If it was me, i would be getting the Vexus just because the factory support is outstanding.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    The designers of the Vexus aluminum left there and went to Avid and designed that boat. The initial differences in the hull, transom and internals are negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbless View Post
    The designers of the Vexus aluminum left there and went to Avid and designed that boat. The initial differences in the hull, transom and internals are negligible.
    Actually the other way around, the Avid engineers were hired by Vexus to help them get started.
    I also have a 20XB with the new 200 SHO. Love the boat, had a Ranger aluminum, which was a nice boat, but this one is at a different level. My last boat was a Bass Cat Jaguar so I have been at all levels of the spectrum.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

15. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT180 View Post
    Actually the other way around, the Avid engineers were hired by Vexus to help them get started.
    I also have a 20XB with the new 200 SHO. Love the boat, had a Ranger aluminum, which was a nice boat, but this one is at a different level. My last boat was a Bass Cat Jaguar so I have been at all levels of the spectrum.

Sorry Sir, you are incorrect, The gentleman left Vexus to go to work at Avid , not the other way around

I stand corrected. I will have to check my source again, as it comes from someone “very” well connected to the industry, not street or internet talk. I will say they did get the aluminum gauge correct the first time.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I could have gone aluminum or fiberglass with my recent boat search. Vexus warranty and hull issues turned me off with them. The dealer where I purchased my Caymas carried Avid and they are a nice boat with a nice price. I ended up with a leftover Caymas that cost way less then a comparable aluminum boat.
    What speeds are you seeing loaded with that 150?

18. Member
    I know nothing about the Avid but I have a friend that loves his 20XB with a 200. It sure is a good looking boat.

19. Member
    The problem with Avid and Vexus both is the motors are too small, If I was spending that much on an aluminum it would be an Xpress or Crestliner.

20. Member
    They turned on Ranger years ago, now they are turning on Vexus and Avid before they even get into the first turn. Crestliner has had it's own issues with hulls.

May the circle be unbroken by and by Lord by and by...

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast