Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2007 VZ250TLR not starting.... on the ramp :|

Ok Yamaha gurus... tell me what I am missing here.

I have a new-to-me 2007 Skeeter 20i with a 2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR. I don't think the original owner did much maintenance so I skipped ahead on a few things:

1. Replaced both low pressure pumps
    2. Removed/cleaned VST and replaced the internal filter (no evidence of water, was reasonably clean)... did NOT replace the high pressure fuel filter... seemed ok
    3. Replaced 8 of the 10 basket "mystery" filters. All were actually in good condition so I'm sure the other two I couldn't get to are likely in same condition
    4. Replaced primary fuel filter and cup... previous individual stripped the plastic theads. That filter was rather dirty.
    5. Removed and cleaned the fuel injectors
    6. Replaced 10 micron fuel/water separator
    7. System primed normally
    8. Replaced the starting battery

There's probably a couple more maintenance things I did, but I cannot recall them right now.

Last night in the driveway, I hooked up the water and cranked the engine. It cranked right up. I let it idle for about 10 minutes. I pushed the throttle forward (still in neutral). Was concerned about the obvious miss until I remembered #3 and #4 don't engage until in gear. Wiped that sweat away. I put in forward at idle then reverse at idle. All sounded fine. Both 25 gallon tanks are over half full. Ready to go.

This morning I head out to the lake and get on the ramp (typical angle) AND IT WOULD NOT START!!!!! It turned and turned and turned over, but would not start. Confused, I started checking on things. Primer bulb was not flat, so I gave it a squeeze. Could only give it a little squeeze because it was pressurized. Motor was all the way down. Batteries were engaged (switched). Kill switch lanyard was in place. Power was enabled on the dashboard. Would not friggin' start so I had to pull it out and take it home.

When I got it back in the driveway. I did nothing but remove the cowling and turn on the water. IT STARTED IMMEDIATELY without any hesitation?!?!?!?!?

WHISKEY. TANGO. FOXTROT.

Ok, fine folks at BBC... what could possibly be the deal? Will try to examine the gas in the tanks, but when I pulled the VST, there was not water contamination that I could tell.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by spinkick63; 10-14-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades

2. Member
    I have seen some complain of not starting in the water but would on muffs. One member had this issue and it was the exhaust tuner had melted and was causing their issues.

3. Member
    Interesting. Not familiar with the exhaust tuner, but will research it. Thanks for the input.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

4. Member
    I have an 08, every I dunno maybe 30-40 times my engine will not start. Check everything and all looks good. This is not always cold, last time it happened was at the ramp, I could not start it to load. I wait 3 minutes or so and then it fires up like nothing ever happened. All maintenance on mine is up to date. It’s random as F, I have read tho I’m not the only one who experiences this. Not saying that’s yours, just saying it’s a thing.

5. Member
    I had random not starting issues on mine. Ending up being something in the vst tank acting up intermittently so I got another one off of eBay and haven’t had that issue yet. Did you try starting it quickly out of water at the ramp or trimmed up higher in the water?

6. Member
    No. Was going to but got sidetracked putting things up and forgot. So, I started it in the driveway when I got home. Water pressure on the exhaust is starting to sound like the direction to follow.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

7. Member
    I pulled the lower unit off. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the exhaust passages looked normal to me. That lower gasket needs replacing though.
    exhaust - up.jpgexhaust - lower unit.jpg
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

8. Member
    Ignition switch and kill switch tested. Works as expected. :|
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

9. Member
    Silly question maybe...but did the motor run before you did the maintenance?

10. Member
    Valid question. Yes. The motor ran (on muffs) before I bought the boat and before and after maintenance.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

11. Member
    You said when you got back to driveway and removed cowling that it started. Have you checked all the wiring and connectors around the block? There's very little space inside cowling and easy to pinch or rub wiring/hoses when removing and installing...just a thought.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

12. Member
    I had a similar issue. My HPDI would start fine in the driveway, wouldn't start at the ramp. If I applied throttle, it would start, but I had to stay on it to keep it running. I ended up taking it to a mechanic and they slightly adjusted the TPS voltage. It basically kicked up the idle speed and has run much better since. I think vibrations over time can throw things out of whack. It may be time to take it in for an adjustment.

13. Member
    Thanks. I tried bumping the throttle. Didn't change anything. It simply kept turning over. This is why I think the kill wire is involved somehow. I tested both the ignition switch and kill switch. They behaved as expected. Nothing intermittent. The other end goes to the ECU/ECM per service manual.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

14. Member
    McQuaig... everything is secure. All plugs are in, all wires tucked. All screws secure. Engine is pretty clean, no corrosion. I wish it would be something simple like that.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinkick63 View Post
    Valid question. Yes. The motor ran (on muffs) before I bought the boat and before and after maintenance.
    But you didn't run it on the water before doing maintenance? that throws my idea out the window...that something got jacked during maintenance.

Go back, slide it off the trailer and try to start while level in the water.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

17. Member
    I won't doubt the possibility of messing something up, but replacing those filters was as about straightforward as it goes. Now that I think about it, the first time I launched the boat it started normally, reversed, then forward into a slip where it died. Guess I posted that in a different thread. Then I replaced the battery and filters.

So, whatever went wrong apparently happened on that first day. I just ensured there are no obstructions in the exhaust pathways. They are all clear too.

Will try to crank it in a tub/bucket before I go back to the lake with it. Putting on the water with no power.... nuttin' to it. Putting it back on the trailer with no power... major mofo.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

18. Member
    Not to HJ thread, but having some of the same issues on a 2008 225 HPDI 2. Rebuilt with 2 new pistons an sleeves, new med pressure pump, rebuilt hp pump, injectors flowed and tested, new coil, new tps, oil pump primed and cleared of air. Mechanic says the only way it will start is starting fluid then dies. Replacing Injector drivers this weekend. This thing is driving me crazy. Any info greatly appreciated

19. Member
    Glad I'm not alone on this one. :) I sent an email to a Skeeter/Yamaha rep I have been communicating with since I've had the boat. Hopefully, he will find a tech with some suggestions.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

20. Member
    Another thing to check is the shift interrupter switch (#19 in the attached parts pic I think). It cuts engine power for a fraction of a second when shifting between neutral and fwd/reverse to make the shift easier. It could me loose or bad, preventing fireup. Actually, now that I think of it I'm not sure if that's the interrupter switch or a "start in neutral" switch...but worth checking out. Stern drives have interrupter switches, but not sure if outboards do...
    parts.JPG
    Last edited by McQuaig; 10-19-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast