Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Yep, my Mercruiser had that switch that was on the shift assembly attached to the motor. I'm pretty sure there is an equivalent switch in the control box on outboards (at least this one). However, I think if it is not in neutral, the motor won't turn over at all.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades

2. Member
    Update for anyone following... I called Yamaha customer relations and explained the behavior and what I have done so far. I have done everything the rep would have suggested so he talked to a colleague. He came back and said it sounds like an exhaust obstruction. I would agree 100% if I could see one. The pathway is clear as far as I can see.
    Before pulling the powerhead, I'm open to ideas once again.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

Again, take it back to the water, put it in and see if it starts level. We had a guy in our club and the motor would not start on an angle. If it s the case you have a fuelsupply issue.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinkick63 View Post
    Update for anyone following... I called Yamaha customer relations and explained the behavior and what I have done so far. I have done everything the rep would have suggested so he talked to a colleague. He came back and said it sounds like an exhaust obstruction. I would agree 100% if I could see one. The pathway is clear as far as I can see.
    Before pulling the powerhead, I'm open to ideas once again.
    Maybe the tech means the exhaust relief might be plugged (the small exhaust outlet just below the cowling). That may explain why it runs out of water but not when submerged at the ramp where it wouldn't have enough exhaust pressure to push it thru the prop under water.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    Boats... yes. I will get it back to the water. It will be after I test it in a tub in the driveway. I certainly understand your point. The second time I put the boat on the water, I left plenty of slack for the boat to sit level on the water (rather than the ramp) and it still would not start.

McQuaig... no. They were referring to internal blockage. As for the exhaust port you're talking about, I actually removed that last night. It is clear. no obstructions. Just couldn't be something so simple.

Gonna whip out the scope here in a bit. Will keep you posted.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

6. Member
    Naturally, new cheap-azz bore scope would not work. Old cheap-azz bore scope quit working. SMH

I could see clearly up to the exhaust ports. no obstructions. That is just about ruled out.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

7. Member
    Still lurking with no suggestions. Thank you for the updates tho.

Unrelated, get a Fulton f2 winch if you don’t have one. When mine wouldn’t start last time I had to load by hand. I put the trailer a little deeper and the winch got it up easy as could be. 08 21i so pretty heavy pig too.

8. Member
    Thanks for the winch suggestion... just might have to do that. Exhaust pathways are completely clear so far. With borescope I could clearly see all exhaust ports. The chamber for the top exhaust port was clear as well. Just need to verify exhaust path from tuner/manifold to this top port is clear.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

9. Member
    Ok all... got the bore scope working. I can clearly see all 6 exhaust ports. There are no pathway obstructions in the main tuner/manifold or around it (muffler?). The pathway for the upper/idle exhaust port is completely clear. It appears to sit OUTSIDE the muffler (that's what the parts diagram calls it). What I could not verify was the very small rectangular port in the upper/idle exhaust "shaft". I'm guessing if the lower unit is submerged at idle, the exhaust is forced out a smaller port to this rectangular port. And that is a guess for sure. The rectangular port is too small for the bore camera so I can't look for obstruction in that area. Anyone familiar with this?

exhaust_port.jpg

Found some pictures on eBay of the exhaust guide and manifold extension (again, part names from parts diagram) that clearly shows the top and bottom of each component. It appears that the two exhaust channels are surrounded by a water jacket. I still can't figure out how the idle exhaust get routed to the upper exhaust port.
    exhaust_guide1.jpg exhaust_guide2.jpg man_ext1.jpg man_ext2.jpg
    I haven't found any good all-the-way-around pics of the muffler yet. Anyone know the actual pathway for the upper exhaust port?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

10. Member
    Next update... Got the new damper seal today so I was able to put the lower unit back on. I had to remove the impeller housing because the front lip of the sea goes under it. The aluminum insert/cup/whatever stayed in place. I put the damper seal on then the impeller housing. BTW, there was airflow out the upper exhaust port.

First test... cranked up with the muffs. Instant start. However, I noticed the tell tale wasn't telling much but there was plenty of water coming from the seam from the lower unit and mid unit. Guessing that's not what it's supposed to do which means the housing gasket likely moved. Sound about right?

Second test... I had a plastic storage box JUST big enough to put the lower unit in water instead of using the muffs. Instant start. Exhaust airflow out the upper port. Good, but still scratching my head over this ordeal.

Third test... I went back to muffs and tilted the motor way too high. Instant start. So that eliminates a kill operation from motor being tilted too high.

Next test... back to the ramp. What a PITA.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

11. Member

RESOLVED

Put it on the water this morning. It ran a little rough, but it ran. I didn't push it too hard this trip but everything worked as it should. I finally have a boat I can use!
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

12. Member
    So... What solved it?

13. Member
    Yes, that is definitely on the list to verify/eliminate. Will pull boat back into the driveway this weekend, weather permitting.

However, I thought I updated this thread... shame on me. Got the boat on the water this weekend other than it running a little rough. Otherwise, no issues.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12