Verado 250 Pro Power Steering

2018 Verado Pro Serial Number: 2B480756

Hello All, move this as necessary if it does not belong in this section but I thought it should go here as the power steering seems to be a part of the verado. I have a 2018 Verado 250 Pro.

I am having a steering problem where it "feels" like the power steering pump or some component within has stopped working. It "feels" like the resistance you get when the Verado is not running. Sometimes, it feels like turning to the right is smooth like it should be but its almost like i have to turn the wheel twice to get the same amount of turn. Also, i never hear the relief valve going off like normal. Turning to the left feels like if there is zero power steering.

with the motor off it feels pretty much the same except i can hear the fluid being pushed around, or what sounds like it should be.

This started after I installed lithium batteries on the left side. I replaced the 3 group 31 AGM batteries for my trolling motor but left the AGM cranking battery. I also installed a Stealth1 charger which is supposed to keep voltage up on the 36V Lithium once the alternator on the verado charges the cranking battery. Based on very limited voltmeter tests i do get about 41.2 over on the 36V lithium so it appears that is working.

I "think" its a power problem. These are the things i have done to try and test the problem: Cleaned the battery terminals and all the connections that were hooked to the cranking battery. Tested the 60A fuse thats connected to the power steering pump and it checks out as well.

The only thing I can come up with is to try a different battery or look again for a missed connection. The motor starts fine and battery still has ~12.5V after sitting off the charger for a day or so. I did also look inside the power steering pump and everything looks clean as a whistle from what i could see, fluid level is full as well.

I am out of town at the moment so I dont have quick access to my serial number but as soon as I get home I will update this post

Any way that I could try and isolate the problem further?
    Last edited by caddyjoe77; 10-16-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added Serail Number

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're in the correct forum. If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Further steps to isolate I would recommend:

1. Make sure you have CLAMP style terminals on your AGM: Place engine cables, steering pump cables, and CLEAN POWER on these posts.

2. DISCONNECT the Stealth System from the engine cranking battery. Isolate the cable ends to prevent and shorts/problems.

3. CHECK STEERING PUMP FLUID LEVEL WITH ENGINE RUNNING. Use ONLY Mercury Synthetic Power Steering Fluid.

4. Run the boat (CAREFULLY) to determine if the problem persists or ceases.

5. Problem Persists: Have the PUMP tested. Your pump may be failing (new pump is a slightly different configuration and requires some adapter hoses).

6. Problem gone: Well of course, congrats. Now determine if it was the Stealth System or not (though MANY use theses, I am not AT ALL fond of the system- Mercury recommends either a Battery Isolator OR an ACR kit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you Don. Glad to input the serial number as required when i get home. One the road this week :)

4. Member
    Ok, had a little bit of time this weekend. Power is getting to the pump, checked via wiring before the breaker, and at the 60 A breaker. 12.34 V the whole way.

So, in my mind its looking more and more like a pump issue. Unfortunately, i wont get to test with the ear muffs on until this weekend with the work travel.

plan is to check the fluid with the engine running, and if that fails take to the local verado mechanic and hope that it's covered under Platinum warranty. If it is the pump, I would say that isnt the best pump, motor only has 220 hours on it. Maybe I just got a lemon.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-16-2022 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Unrelated material

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A lemon? Really?

It's called a failure.

If the pump doesn't run, there's a driver and circuit that need to be tested/checked.

Your SERVICE CONTRACT (not warranty) would normally cover the Trim Pump if it's defective.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    wow Don, sorry to ruffle the feathers. Didnt mean it was a lemon as a bag on Merc, always been a Mercury guy. Halfway said in jest. Thanks for the correction on the SERVICE CONTRACT -- my dealer I bought it from in 2018 even called it a warranty.

Im sorry I am not as well versed as someone of your caliber, can you help me find which driver and circuit I should check? no need for caps, i can read.
    Last edited by caddyjoe77; 10-16-2022 at 05:33 PM. Reason: clarity

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The test procedures for the driver circuit are covered in the Factory Service Manual.

Perhaps the SIMPLEST method is to connect the Purge/Bleeding tool direct to the pump and confirm that the pump does, or does not work correctly. That gets things headed in the correct direction pretty quickly.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM;[URL="tel:12712062"
    12712062[/URL]]The test procedures for the driver circuit are covered in the Factory Service Manual.

Perhaps the SIMPLEST method is to connect the Purge/Bleeding tool direct to the pump and confirm that the pump does, or does not work correctly. That gets things headed in the correct direction pretty quickly.

awesome. Thank you. I will try to locate/purchase the factory manual

For the other option, a standard bleeding tool would suffice?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No- the Verado power steering setup requires the activation/purge tool to run the pump and cycle fluid properly.

10. Member
    Ok thank you sir.

11. Member
    dropped off today, hopefully a tech can fix. will update with fix once I know

12. Member
    pump shot. One on order hopefully will get here this week and get back on the water soon.

Don, based on the numbers i was told, this could be the 6th mod/revision?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will be the newest generation- which requires one hose and adaption.

I'm sure there have been at least 6 part number super-sessions by now.