Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GMC Sierra Denali Adaptive Ride Control - OK for Towing?

I have a 2000 Suburban with Ride control and, although that 5.3 and 4 spd. tranny is a dog on inclines, it is smooth pulling my 20'1" Viper Coral with ProMax 300. It also has coil springs.

I've pulled with my friends' 2016(?) Short Box Silverado 1500, and GMC 2500 and 3500. The 3/4 and 1 ton suspensions seriously don't feel the weight of the boat at all, to the tune that I have to remember that it's even back there! But, the Silverado 1500, while powertrain is plenty strong, on the freeway rides like it's contantly going over short dips - boing...boing....boing, like it's oscillating up and down.

I'm currently looking to pull the trigger on a Sierra 1500 Denali. Tried the baby Duramax, and while it pulls off the line, it's a real dog at highway speed (no offense to those that got it for MPG), so I'm getting the 6.2 powerhouse. I originally wanted standard box, but short box is easier to come by. Will the Denali ride like crap with my boat behind it, like my firend's Silverado, or will the electric shocks make it smooth like my Suburban? I DO realize his Silverado is older, and that my even older Suburban is heavier in the back and has coil springs. Or, do all 1500 trucks ride just ride worse, in generral, than a Suburban?

Oh, and I thought the longer the wheelbase, the smoother the ride. Is that true? Because when test driving the Short Box Denail with 147" wheelbase, I noticed that it doesn't ride as smoothly has my 130" Suburban. Will the 157" standard box ride better than the short box?

While feedback from anyone with experience towing with a newer Sierra 1500 Denali would be appreciated, any feedback would be most welcome, because I am a bit apprehensive about spending $70k+ only to find out later that my 22 yr. old Sub rides nicer.
    Last edited by MrLeadfoot; 10-12-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

2. Member
    My best advice would be to try and find one on a lot someplace, even if it’s a little older. That suspension I am pretty sure has been available for a couple years. Then test drive it. Take it home and hook up the boat and see. I know it can be hard to find stuff but I don’t think I would drop that $ without a test drive.

To answer another question you had, yes all 1500’s ride worse. The trucks have leaf springs while the suburban, tahoes, avalanches have coil springs.

The one other thought I have, and I don’t know if it could be used on that new Denali or not would be helper bags in the back. I have some in my truck and makes towing a lot smoother and more stable.

3. Member
    I recently bought an 2012 Avalanche used because I thought they looked cool, and I still do. I tow my 20' Stratos with it, it seems to tow just fine. I aklso have a Silverado which I used for 270,000 miles. The Avalanche rides very smooth, which is due to the coils I believe.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I recently bought an 2012 Avalanche used because I thought they looked cool, and I still do. I tow my 20' Stratos with it, it seems to tow just fine. I aklso have a Silverado which I used for 270,000 miles. The Avalanche rides very smooth, which is due to the coils I believe.
    I think your Avalanche is on the same chassis as my Suburban, and the ride is actually pretty nice in my Suburban. Mine has 240,000 miles on it now, so it's time for a new something, even if just for peace of mind towing my boat and taking long trips, which is why I am looking. My Sub is a 2000, so that motor only had 277 HP and 325 ft. lbs. torque, so it's a dog on inclines, which is why I want something more powerful. Even the 5.3 today with 10-spd is much stronger, but since EPA is the same, I'm going for 6.2L for the extra oomph which is will be nice in the hills.

I expect the truck to be a little rougher because it's designed to tow more, but I don't want "porpoising" while towing. Is your Avalanche substantially smoother towing your boat than your Silverado was?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    My best advice would be to try and find one on a lot someplace, even if it’s a little older. That suspension I am pretty sure has been available for a couple years. Then test drive it. Take it home and hook up the boat and see. I know it can be hard to find stuff but I don’t think I would drop that $ without a test drive.

To answer another question you had, yes all 1500’s ride worse. The trucks have leaf springs while the suburban, tahoes, avalanches have coil springs.

The one other thought I have, and I don’t know if it could be used on that new Denali or not would be helper bags in the back. I have some in my truck and makes towing a lot smoother and more stable.
    It's hard to get people to allow you to tow your boat on a test drive, which I understand, hence my questions.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

nothing will compare directly to the suspension of the SUrburban or an Avalanches coil over handling/towing...
    i am now on my 3rd 4 door SIlverado with the 6.2L... YOU WILL LOVE THE POWER...the ride of the Leaf Spring Suspension will never match the COIL overs, BUT the Denali's are known for the softer ride and still will be great in comparison to your friends 2016 Silverado...
    Enjoy your new Denali... you will...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeadfoot View Post
    It's hard to get people to allow you to tow your boat on a test drive, which I understand, hence my questions.
    That must be an area thing maybe. We and other places around here will encourage you to take a car for a day, do your routine and put a few hundred miles on to make sure it suits you. Apologies for the recommendation.

8. Member
    That said that would be a deal breaker for me.

oops on the double post

9. Member
    I think your Avalanche is on the same chassis as my Suburban, and the ride is actually pretty nice in my Suburban.......................................... .Is your Avalanche substantially smoother towing your boat than your Silverado was?
    I think the ride is a tad softer but there's no additional sway towing a 20 foot Stratos with a 200 HP four stroke. The ride with up to four humans on board is much quieter and smoother when not towing.

10. Member
    Get a long bed and a 6.6 diesel.Out does the 6.2 gas for towing.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Get a long bed and a 6.6 diesel.Out does the 6.2 gas for towing.
    That's what I originally wanted, but it's too much money and likely too much truck (not to mention rides stiffer when used as a daily driver without a boat on it) for towing a bass boat 2-3 times a month in the non-winter months.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

12. Member
    I have a 2019 GMC Denali with a 6.2 and am pulling a Ranger 18 520L 250Merc Fully loaded gas and tackle its around 4000lbs???. The truck pulls like there no tomorrow around here in the NE and on the interstate. I have to use cruise control so i dont get myself in trouble going down the road. Hill are a thing of the past truck doesn't even burb. Go with the 6.2 you wont be sorry

13. Member
    That's what I originally wanted, but it's too much money and likely too much truck (not to mention rides stiffer when used as a daily driver without a boat on it) for towing a bass boat 2-3 times a month in the non-winter months.
    I have a 17 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 6.6 Duramax 6-sp Allison, it doesn't know my bassboat is behind it. I have the tires set at 55 psi all the way around and empty it rides very well. Wife and I took it on a 2000 mile road trip and we were very happy and comfortable. No need for 80 psi on a empty truck in my opinion, makes it ride to darn rough.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet[BS] View Post
    I have a 17 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 6.6 Duramax 6-sp Allison, it doesn't know my bassboat is behind it. I have the tires set at 55 psi all the way around and empty it rides very well. Wife and I took it on a 2000 mile road trip and we were very happy and comfortable. No need for 80 psi on a empty truck in my opinion, makes it ride to darn rough.
    Mines an 2018.By far best truck ive owned.Rides about the same as the 2014 half ton I had.As far as I know you cant get a 6.2 gas with a long bed or 36 gal tank.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstbass View Post
    I have a 2019 GMC Denali with a 6.2 and am pulling a Ranger 18 520L 250Merc Fully loaded gas and tackle its around 4000lbs???. The truck pulls like there no tomorrow around here in the NE and on the interstate. I have to use cruise control so i dont get myself in trouble going down the road. Hill are a thing of the past truck doesn't even burb. Go with the 6.2 you wont be sorry
    Thanks so much for the feedback!
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet[BS] View Post
    So many people, including people I know, switch to the half ton because they say the same 2500/3500 ride too rough. As mentioned above, that's what I originally wanted but the diesel is just too much money, and I'm not sure I want to take on a gasser as big as the one that comes in that size truck, especially if I decide I want to daily drive it.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Mines an 2018.By far best truck ive owned.Rides about the same as the 2014 half ton I had.As far as I know you cant get a 6.2 gas with a long bed or 36 gal tank.
    You are correct. The short bed is small, the regular bed is passable, but the 24 gallon tank is darned small. My current Suburban has a 32 gallon and my previous one had a 40. I think they shrunk them for weight to help get better mpg, but the shorter range is what bothers me about that.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

18. Member
    I have 0 issues with the ride of the newer 3500's The GM's do drive nicer than the Fords but they both ride good. I would NOT go with a diesel for what you are doing as you are not working it and that is even more important with the emissions now. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

19. Member
    I have a 2021 GMC 1500 Denali with the 6.2. This is the 4th 6.2 I have had, going back to 2013. Fantastic engine with no issues with any of them.
    First ones had 6 speed,this latest is 10 speed. I was worried if I was going to need to use the tow/haul mode with the 10 speed if only pulling 3500 lbs. Not a concern with minimum trans shifting, even with the 3.2 rear.
    By the way, with the 10 speed and that rear, I get between 23-24 mpg on open roads at 65-75 mph and nothing hooked to it.
    I do always run 93 gas even though it is not strictly required on 2021 and newer.
    I keep all gas records and it is almost break even for cost per mile for the 91 vs 93 and I firmly believe it runs better on 93.
    Good luck finding a 6.2. My dealer says he can't order any 6.2 that gmc is pushing the diesel as only option.
    2021 Ranger RT188
    2021 Mercury 115 PXS CT 4S 3B038093
    Va Tech '69, '70, '74

20. Member
    Thanks so much for this detailed reply. Helps me a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by homebody View Post
    I have a 2021 GMC 1500 Denali with the 6.2. This is the 4th 6.2 I have had, going back to 2013. Fantastic engine with no issues with any of them.
    First ones had 6 speed,this latest is 10 speed. I was worried if I was going to need to use the tow/haul mode with the 10 speed if only pulling 3500 lbs. Not a concern with minimum trans shifting, even with the 3.2 rear.
    By the way, with the 10 speed and that rear, I get between 23-24 mpg on open roads at 65-75 mph and nothing hooked to it.
    I do always run 93 gas even though it is not strictly required on 2021 and newer.
    I keep all gas records and it is almost break even for cost per mile for the 91 vs 93 and I firmly believe it runs better on 93.
    Good luck finding a 6.2. My dealer says he can't order any 6.2 that gmc is pushing the diesel as only option.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast