New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

how many times can you wet sand an older Ranger ???

I have a 1990 Ranger 374V I wet sanded it back in 2011 and touched up back in 2016 it's feeling a little rough to the touch on the top cap and looks a little hazy or off colored in spots do you think I could give it another touch up with the wet sand and be ok on the top cap???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I have a 1990 Ranger 374V I wet sanded it back in 2011 and touched up back in 2016 it's feeling a little rough to the touch on the top cap and looks a little hazy or off colored in spots do you think I could give it another touch up with the wet sand and be ok on the top cap???
    I would think so; would have to see pics to give better advice.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

3. Member
    Has the flake started turning silver yet? A test that I happened upon by accident, was the I pressed a strip of vinyl electrical tape on the glass on a warm day. The flake texture showed right through

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    So you want me to stick a piece of tape on the top cap and see if I can see the flake in the tape???? Or see the roughness in the tape

5. Member
    On mine, you can see the shape of the flake right through the tape.

In most cases you are not feeling flake….as the gelcoat deteriorates from the surface level it starts taking the shape of the flake below so a lot of times what you’re feeling is the unevenness of the flake below which is making the impression on the gel above. Of course if the flake is changing colors as you’re sanding you are in the flake….that’s a easy one. twitch if you’re interested buzz me and I’ll be glad to help you through your project or figure out that you have to work with. Number is on my website…we may have spoken in the past..?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thanks crank68 yes we have spoken in the past was just curious as to what I was gonna try ,might keep it for a spring job as the weather is starting to turn and i don't have a garage so will be in touch thanks

8. Member
    Some pics from last year.

zzzzbaby11.jpg

zzzzbaby111.jpg

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    some pics of mine today IMG_6090.JPG IMG_6089.JPG IMG_6088.JPG hope this helps

If I’m seeing this correctly “on my phone” I think I see some porosity in the cloudy areas…. I believe you’ve told me your boat is stored under cover outside. If so I have seen when stored in this way when the cover lays on the gel it can create issues. I just fixed a Ranger fishermen type boat from Maryland that had issues from years outside with the cover on the gel.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    How would you go about this situation and keep it from getting worse ?? She's going to be 33 yrs old and still looks pretty good overall

12. Member
    Gotta love not Kickin' the old boats to the curb! twitch, I admire your loyalty. If I didn't have old stuff I wouldn't have anything at all.

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Gotta love not Kickin' the old boats to the curb! twitch, I admire your loyalty. If I didn't have old stuff I wouldn't have anything at all.
    Yeah there just like classic cars in my eyes and I love them just as much proud to have an Oldie but a Goodie...

14. Member
    90's model you should have plenty to work with. Back then, they sprayed them alot thicker than the newer models. I've worked on a few that you couldn't sand the gloss off before reaching the flake underneath. Makes repairs really difficult.

15. Member
    Not to hijack the thread but my stratos has a bit of what I would describe as “sun bleaching” on the top of the rails in spots. What’s weird is that I’ve high speed buffed the areas with compound and they are extremely reflective and smooth, but I cannot seem to get rid of that cloudiness to restore the deep dark blue colour.

any suggestions?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

16. Member
    if it's cloudy, you have oxidation. If oxidation isn't removed before or during buffing, it clouds back up quickly. I always wetsand all my buffjobs first.