Triton TR196 Repower

Has anyone repowered an 05ish Triton TR196 with a 200hp Suzuki 4-stroke?

Any feedback is appreciated.

TIA!!
    Last edited by LJ Javelin 190; 10-12-2022 at 10:24 AM.

2. Member
    I am not able to help you.....but considering a very similar decision.

2011 Stratos Walleye Boat - 150 Mercury ProXS 2 stroke.....and putting a Suzuki DF175ATX or DF200ATX instead.

The issue here is the last order of Suzuki's took 13 months to get to the midwest....since they still aren't very common.

But I am looking for reliability instead of having to replace a major part every year (10-20 hours) on my Mercury. Only 300 hours on it right now. So not needing the fastest speed or the best acceleration....especially since my current setup can go 44 mph....but I am seldomly over 30 mph in 2-3 foot waves on the Great Lakes.

As for a 150, 175, and 200 HP Suzuki....they are all the same 4 cylinder, and all the same weight. So no reason not to get the highest HP available.

3. Member
    I don’t have a Suzuki but know many that do and love them. You may want to research the 200hp. I read a post about the torque being a challenge for heavier hulls. No bash at all, just want you to be happy with your purchase. If I ever repower, it will be a Suzuki. Best of luck with your project.

Repowered friends 19' Champion Fish n Ski with the 200SS. With the 21" pitch Suzuki watergrip prop it will run almost 60 with 2 people. Holeshot isn't perfect but not bad, easy fix but he doesn't want to try other props. I truly feel that a 21" Pitch Scorpion prop would be the perfect for his boat. Also, while driving his boat the Suzuki likes trim and run up a little higher. He's on his 3rd year with the engine and hasn't called the dealer once.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Thank you all for the feedback. I want a reliable motor, and top end isn't as important to me as reliability and gas consumption.

6. Member
    I’ve got my 2000 Cobra 20ft bass boat at my local Suzuki dealer right now getting a new 200hp installed. It’s the standard 200 motor not the SS model. We will be testing some props to see what suits it best. Looking to get low 60s with it on WOT.
    2000 COBRA 201D
    Suzuki 200 4 Stroke

7. Member
    Well....I got someone to put a deposit down on my Mercury 150.

So I put down a deposit on a DF 200 ATX, so a 25" shaft. I will have to change the controls.....but this should happen in early December up in Michigan. So should make it back out on the water around December 10th. Just in time for the last few weeks of walleye fishing before ice in.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crawlerHarness View Post
    Well....I got someone to put a deposit down on my Mercury 150.

So I put down a deposit on a DF 200 ATX, so a 25" shaft. I will have to change the controls.....but this should happen in early December up in Michigan. So should make it back out on the water around December 10th. Just in time for the last few weeks of walleye fishing before ice in.
    nice! Congratulations!

What gauges are you going with? Digital or analogue?

9. Member
    The marina thought my current analytical gauges would work.....although they didn't know about the trim gauge.

10. Member
    At the VERY least you need a Suzuki analogue tacho, the one linked below that has the 4 warning lights along the bottom. Its available in white or black face. I dont know whether or not your existing trim gauge will work with the new engine.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...r-28p54773.htm

Apart from each light having a direct purpose (temp, oil pressure and over rev warnings) the check engine light will flash a series of flashes if the engine has a fault, and the sequence of flashing is a code that tells you what is going on. There are many, many such codes, without the lights you don’t know whats going on, and you might continue to run the engine, causing damage. Eg water in fuel code. IMO absolutely essential to have that info.

Also the oil light will flash a code after the first 20 hours and then every 100 hours as a service/oil change reminder.

I dont know what your boat’s dash looks like and whether it would suit, but these days, the standard in bay and offshore boats is a digital gauge, most commonly the Suzuki SMG4 gauge, its square with rounded off corners. Can be linked to your NMEA2000 network so it gets speed data from GPS and then it also shows speed and fuel economy.

Note that in the video SPC controls refers to the fly by wire models, mechanical control engines only show gear position as neutral or not. But SMG4 will have troll mode built in for your new engine. SMG4 also shows all fault codes on the screen.

SMG4 also has a feature where you can download a app to your phone, link to the engine, and upload a file from the ecu giving all engine diagnostics and sending it instantly to your Suzuki dealer to help them diagnose any issues.

Here is a link to have a look at it to see what you think. Its “very nice!”

I would just put it out there that ideally you want a trained and experienced Suzuki mechanic to install the engine. More often than not, problems we hear about with new engines are because someone did something “like we always do that” rather than how Suzuki wants it to be done. They are sensitive to voltage and if the electricals arent connected up exactly as per installation instructions and/or the boat’s electrical system is not up to scratch, its an invitation to problems.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-04-2022 at 09:31 PM.

11. Member
    I like my 200, not the SS model, but it cost more so I did't get one. I run an "offshore" large diameter prop with a moderate pitch because it works and was cheap. Good hole shot on a 20 foot Stratos tops out at 60, on the rev limiter.
    Quiet, and so far dependable. I think a Merc would be faster but mine does what I want, and gets me back. I installed it myself so-to-speak, used aa manual jackplate to find the best depth. They only have 10 PSIG water pressure so use a 15 pound gauge full pressure.

12. Member
    Thank you for the guidance Moonlighter.....I misspoke when I said the Marina. I should have said the salesperson from the Marina.

They have been selling Suzuki's for a few years, and service them. That is about the best you can get in Michigan, as out of the 1 million plus boats in Michigan....I would guess Mercury is 75% of them, and you never see a Suzuki on a boat.

So I expect to hear a little bit different from the Marina service center when the see the boat for the first time perhaps a slightly different story on what needs to be changed.

I won't be trolling with the big motor, as I have a 9.9 kicker on the boat as well.