Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Exclamation Boat just WON'T PERFORM with a 200+hp Engine: WHY?

Since I've been seeing boats, answering posts, and talking to NUMEROUS folks that have been having difficulties achieving good performance, I'm going to take a few moments to share the top few reasons we are seeing:

1. Demand Linear not achieving 100% Demand (hotfoot and throttle cable improperly set-up)

2. WEIGHT where it's not supposed to be, NO WEIGHT where it IS supposed to be. SERIOUSLY!!! If you mount an Ultrex, (3) graphs, and custom brackets for 3 said graphs on the BOW, you should NOT be surprised when your boat does not perform. You've literally tacked a couple hundred pounds on the BOW of the boat. Then... some of the same boats swap out 3-5 Lead-Acid (or AGM) batteries to Lithiums, often pulling as much (or more) weight from the stern of the boat. This causes the stern to ride HIGHER, the bow to ride LOWER, resulting in more boat in contact with the water at top speed. No reasonable amount of trim will ever compensate for this.

3. Excessive Setback (especially when combined with #2)

4. Over-propped

5. Dragging Power Poles

While there may occasionally be an actual engine problem, it is completely UNREALISTIC to expect an engine to carry the loads/weight-distribution that is described in #2 and perform even reasonably well.

*** Simple Testing Hint: If you suspect your boat may be victim of #2, remove as much gear as possible from the bow. Add 80-120# of SAND (double-bag the sand) and place it on top of the back deck, at the very back. Go run the boat and try different trim/jackplate heights... if you see IMPROVEMENT (at all) in performance, you are on the right track.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Scraps
    My dealer violated #1 for me. Showed up on the VV.

I have personally violated #5 on several occasions. No joke, it does slow a fella down.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I am just amazed that ppl have to be told this. It should be common sense.

4. Member
    One other thought that I see and it ties to #2 and #3 is running jack plate too high and or the wrong prop for the type of hull. Some hulls need lift to perform and running the jack plate too high won't generate the lift needed. This can also happen with the wrong prop type.