Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Honest Opinions on Ranger Aluminum

Considering moving into a Ranger VX1888 in the coming future, and in all honesty the idea of having a 225 and a pretty decent loaded up package far under what a Ranger 1888MS or Lund can get me, though the Vexus ADX is actually pretty competitive. Now I am not asking about which brand is better, they all have things I like and dislike. My question really is what everyone's opinion on the fit/finish and quality or durability of a new Ranger aluminum. I know many complain about the Ranger customer service, so I think that one is pretty documented, but I will have a really quality dealer so I think that should help as well. More concerned with the boat and trailer itself. I see Ranger aluminum boats all over just curious how durable they have been overall, especially now that they have moved locations, not implying that is a bad thing just didnt know if things have changed for better or worse. I dont have much of a chance to see the VX1888 unfortunately, not many around, so really looking for honest opinions of the aluminum line. Appreciate everyones feedback. Again not looking for what brand is better thread, there are plenty of those haha.
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 10-05-2022 at 09:00 AM.

2. Member
    My 2017 RT188 has been one of, if not the most trouble free boats I’ve owned.

My only regret is not getting an aluminum trailer so I could use it in the bay down in Florida.

No issue with my tin. I was able to get the Aluminum trailer, no carpet in the boat as I fish Salt, Brackish, and Fresh water. Wiring could have been neater under the helm, but on other issues.

Now that Range is under a different owner, I do not have any idea what the quality of Ranger is now.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    I was speaking to a couple gentlemen fishing my dock this weekend out of Ranger Aluminum 188 (I think) about 3 years old. I was a really good looking rig, so I asked him how he liked it. His response surprised me. He pointed out an outward dent in the front where some internal structural bracing had shifted during a recent rough ride. Said it had been back to Ranger once and is going again this winter for the same issue. Said he definitely would not buy another because of the downtime and the structural nature of the problem. Just food for thought since you are investigating.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

5. Member
    I have a 2017 198P that has been trouble free. I was a little pissed off at how poorly it was prepped and how much loose, missing and extra hardware was left in the bilge and battery compartment. The trolling motor batteries were wired for 12 volts to the 24 volt trolling motor. But these were all dealer issues. After I got her cleaned up and wired correctly it ran great and has been a great boat.

6. Member
    I do not know anyone with a Ranger aluminum boat that is not very happy with the boat overall. There are several down here and we see a lot at the ramps and a lot trailered down by snowbirds. I cannot remember personally talking to anyone that fished one down here that did not like their boat.

Mine is great. I do not know of much I would change about it except some small things I have done that sort of personalizes it....nothing major. They are fine boats. If you find one with a decent price, I say to buy it. I am not sure it is as good of a boat as when made in Flippin.....but still a good boat. The only boat that I might trade for is Xpress.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    My dealer has just started offering the Vexus and Lowe line, which says volumes. I have looked at the fit/finish of the White River Rangers and they have taken a step back. They no longer have the Channel trailer, which is huge IMO. A dear friend, who is a Service Tech, is not impressed.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    My RT188. 2 words> LOVE IT.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

9. Member
    I've owned a 2016 rt188 and now a 2021 rt188p. I can attest to the comments about overall fit and finish and even quality being a step back. Some specifics are the trailer, not just the tubular construction but all of the components are cheaper. The hitch, lights, fenders, you name it. You can just tell it's the cheapest materials they could source. My front deck has developed several spots where the floor pops and creaks. I'm assuming the welds holding it to the vertical supports have failed. Honestly wish I'd kept the 2016.

10. Member
    You covered it in your introduction, ask your really quality dealer what his experience is with Ranger should you need them to be involved. Your dealer can only do so much until he is handcuffed by the manufacturer, this goes for all dealers and manufacturers, but some manufacturers support their dealers and customers much better than others.

11. Member
    Really like the Ranger.....trailer not so much being a tube. However, I up graded the TM and Electronics.....a considerable improvement. Also the dolly wheel and jack.....went to a Fulton.

12. Member
    So sounds like most people who love them had them before the switch, guys who have them post seem to like the boats but can tell the quality went down as well as the trailer, which is a big deal to me. Price didnt though haha. Enough said, I guess it confirms my reservations. I've owned a few Rangers in the past just have heard mixed feedback since the change. Think the aluminum line was most affected. Thanks for the honest feedback, prolly should have bought one back in 2017 haha. Sure they are still fine rigs, just lots of options out there to consider

13. Member
    I don't know when it was changed but the newer ones have a pretty crappy livewell system. It only has fill on non timed and recirculate on a timer, so you can't bring in fresh water on a timer, which is how I leave mine most of the time, can't run it on constant recirculate either. Even the cheap Tracker 175, 190 and 195s all have a much better livewell with two pumps one for fresh water and one for recirculate/ pump out and both can be ran on a timer or constant.

14. Member
    Had a 2013 Lowe Stinger 175 . Just picked up a 2021 rt188P. I liked the way the Lowe fished .
    There are some things on the RT that could be done better , but everything about it is better than the Stinger was.
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

Only thing I like about mine is it doesn't draw much water and plans fast good for skinny water.

Doesn't ride well, If its windy it blows all over the place, Slow Ficht POS but if I fixed this it wouldn't plan as well.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

16. Member
    I just ripped the carpet up on the front deck of mine last night. Mainly because i've always wanted to try a padded deck but also to try and find the deck noise. Well I found it, the deck floor is riveted to the braces. Several loose rivets.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogib View Post
    I just ripped the carpet up on the front deck of mine last night. Mainly because i've always wanted to try a padded deck but also to try and find the deck noise. Well I found it, the deck floor is riveted to the braces. Several loose rivets.
    I think I would like the padding as well....I just do not want black as the color...it would be way too hot down here. But i would like the feel and softness I think... as you move along with this project would you shoot me a PM with what you learn or how it went?? Thanks.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

18. Member
    I had a 2014 RT188. It was a great boat. Great fishing decks, front and back. I would still have it it the hull did not crack. It was sent back to Ranger twice for the cracked hull. Dealer felt the hull should have been replaced, but the fine print in the warranty said other wise. After the second repair, we sold it and moved to a Lund. We fish from the Ohio River to Lake Erie.

Good luck with your decision.
    2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875
    Mercury 200 Fourstroke Pro XS
    Hummingbird Helix 12 Console & Bow

19. Member
    No problems with my RT 188 to date.
    No such thing as a perfect boat as I have owned 7 over the last 50 years.
    All will have issues is used over time.

I have a 2014 RT188 that I bought new. I haven't had any problems with the boat or trailer. I do not fish large, rough waters, so it's perfect for what I do. While I do love my boat, I wish Ranger hadn't gone the cheap route on some components. Flimsy windshield, and end caps on the rub rails to name 2. That said, it still fishes great after 9 seasons of use.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast