Z18 Rotten Bunk Help

One of the side bottom bunks on my 2017 z18 has rotted and the bolt fell out. Used duct tape to keep it on the L bracket and got it loaded today. I’m thinking the easiest route is to order another 4 ft carpeted 2*4 off Amazon. Can someone tell me the bolt size please? Any other suggestions appreciated!
    Last edited by SuzukiSS; 10-02-2022 at 07:41 PM.

2. Member
    If one is rotten you probably will have issues with the others sooner or later. I would replace all four. I replaced the bunks on my trailer with new wood and Gatorbaks very shortly after I brought the boat home. I had a set on my previous trailer and wouldn't leave home without them. I'm not sure of the bolt size but you should be able to pull one from another bunk and see what size it is.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

I agree got new bunk boards front Nitro in my garage. When my new boat comes in I'll replace them with gatorbaks

4. Member
    Replace all of them. Buy boards from your local lumber yard. Cut to size, cover, get all hardware needed. Launch the boat and replace the boards in the parking lot. When finished go fishing.

5. Member
    I was told by dealer they are 3/8 lag bolts

6. Member
    Thanks guys! Ordered new carpeted bunks off Amazon. After fishing took old bunk off used it for template to drill pilot hole into new one. Used simple socket set to unbolt old one and put the two new bolts in. Easy 10 min process.

7. Member
    I replaced all the bunks on my Z9 trailer a few months ago with treated 2x4’s and Gatorbacks. Looks great, loads / unloads easily and doesn’t hold water like carpet so it dries very quickly. Cost me about $400 but I’m very happy I made the switch.
    2014 Nitro Z9, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Solix 12’s at console, Solix 12 at bow, Minn Kota Untrex, Garmin 8610 with Garmin Livescope, Minn Kota Talons.

Post 2017 Z21 Gatorbak tips

For future reference, on a 2017 Z21:

·2 bunks are 4’-7” long
    ·2 bunks are 5’-7” long
    ·2 bunks are 11’-7” long

When I replaced my bunks (with pressure treated 2" x 4" and Gatorbak covers), I used 3/8" x 1-1/2" 304SS lag bolts, fender washers, and lock washers. Pilot hole for the lag bolts should be 11/64" (for pressure treated pine). Also recommend putting a small amount of lubricant (paste wax, marine grease) on the lag bolt (threads) before installing (makes installation a lot easier).

You need (for a 2017 Z21) at least 188 304SS screws for the Gatorbak covers. I recommend 1" #10 304SS, truss or modified truss head (wood screw). A pan head will also work, but the truss (or modified truss) head will provide more surface area to hold the cover in place. Here's a chart I made to make sure the screws were evenly placed.

Gatorbak screw spacing.jpg
    The soldier, above all other men, is required to practice the greatest act of religious training -- sacrifice. - GEN Douglas MacArthur, Thayer Award Address delivered 12 May 1962, West Point, NY