This will get your attention

I called my broker yesterday and we bought a CD for $250,000.00. He was having some trouble entering the order and he accidentally put in the incorrect amount 25,000 instead of 250 (they were priced in $1000 increments). The order got cancelled since I didn't have enough cash in the account. Then he fixed the order and I bought the CD. So I wake up this morning and open Quicken which downloads all of my account information. It said I had a negative $23,000,000.00 balance in the account. This account is just bonds, cds, and a few equity ETFs so that sure didn't seem right. I called my broker and everything was fine on their end and no open orders etc. and I checked the account from the site itself and it was fine. Apparently Quicken must have downloaded the cancelled transaction and did not see it was cancelled. It cost me one pair of clean underwear. Nothing like seeing a big red figure like that.

2. Member
    That's what led that Robinhood kid to commit suicide...

Certainly not a laughing matter and I'm glad it is all good in the actual accounts...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

3. Member
    Sue Quicken!

Underwear is expensive these days.....

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

I had a similar panic attack recently.

I was doing something with Tesla investor relations and was verifying that I was a TSLA shareholder. So I had to give them my account information. No problems. But then several days later, on a Saturday I get a text message alert that there was suspicious activity on my Etrade account. Of course I immediately go to log in and my account has ZERO holdings. So there I was on a Saturday morning thinking my account had been wiped out. I was pretty panicked. The only thing that kept me from completely losing it was that it was a Saturday, how could you sell my holdings on a Saturday. Fortunately I was able to talk to someone at Etrade. Etrade locked my account and by doing so hid all my holdings from being viewed. But the first person I talked to told me he couldn't see my holdings either but that someone in Virginia was trying to access my account. I had to be transferred up the ladder to get to the bottom of the situation. Apparantly the system that verifies shareholder information is located in Virginia and for some reason it took several days for my account to alert me of the activity and the first person I talked to didn't have the security clearance to see the details of a locked account. It really sucked for about an hour that morning.
    Thanos was the hero

5. idbefishing
    Wow, I'd have flipped the fk out