Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A question for those who’ve had rotator cuff surgery?

How long before you can fish? I had three tears surgically repaired Tuesday and hope to spend a week on Headwaters on Florida late Feb or early March. Is that a realistic goal?

I’m binge watching “Lord of the Rings” trilogy with my ice machine on the shoulder working a squeeze block right now LOL.

2. Member
    I would think you would be OK. Make sure to do all of the physical therapy and I would think you could fish then.

3. Member
    As stated above your physical therapy will determine a lot about the out come of your surgery. If you fish around some local waters before hand you will see what condition your arm and connecting body parts can with stand for a week of fishing.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

4. Member
    I tore the labrum off both shoulders a year apart. With the sling on I still fished tournaments a few weeks after surgery. Had to crank the rod low when the right had the sling. Do the therapy or they will have to do surgery again. It breaks up scar tissue. I split a cord of wood at the 9 month mark and it really helped with the motion on the right.

5. Member
    I had 2 screws and 3 Tethers in my rebuilt right shoulder and I was casting 4 months after surgery. My doc was impressed that I recovered so fast. I really stuck with PT and ate really healthy foods. I guess it just depends on your body and health. Just don’t over do it and tear your shoulder up once you start feeling better and listen to your doc. Make sure you get a good PT tech. Good luck.

6. Member
    Mine was frayed and had it fixed last june/July. Did therapy but like a moron, overdid it once I went back to work and had it done again. This time it's taken alot longer to get my strength back in it than it did the previous 2 times I had it done. I madenit out 1 time this year, and my left arm from cranking reel was wore out in about an hour. Everyone is different, father time sure don't help any at all either

Quote Originally Posted by Kicktheirbass View Post
    Mine was frayed and had it fixed last june/July. Did therapy but like a moron, overdid it once I went back to work and had it done again. This time it's taken alot longer to get my strength back in it than it did the previous 2 times I had it done. I madenit out 1 time this year, and my left arm from cranking reel was wore out in about an hour. Everyone is different, father time sure don't help any at all either
    Fishing wasn’t that good this year if that helps.

8. Member
    I had Rotator Cuff and bicep reattched in May of this year. I have not had time for fishing, but after 10-12 weeks, I was mostly recovered.

I started Therapy 3 days after surgery. Between Therapy, ice machine, and following Doctor’s orders — everything has gone amazingly well.

I used the rope/pulley at home multiple times per day, plus other exercises therapy provided.

The rope/pulley was a good part getting range of motion back and keeping me ahead of schedule at Therapy.

Good luck, John.

9. Member
    Thanks guys! That news gives me hope, I’ve got nothing better to do than rehab.

10. Member
    Had left done (I am left handed) Jan13 and the right Mar31'st was fishing awkwardly by July , somewhat less so now hope to be normal by spring.

11. Member
    I had R rotator cuff repair surgery Sept 8 (3 weeks ago) to reattach the tendon which was completely torn off the bone. The surgeon said my surgery went perfectly. I am in a sling with an abduction pad for 6 weeks with NO unsupported lifting of my R arm permitted outside of stretching by PT. My surgeon (who is a bass fisherman) has told me that I cannot fish for 6 months following the surgery, so in my case, March 8.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Fishing wasn’t that good this year if that helps.
    Bad fishing is better than no fishing...lol

I had my shoulder done in 2001. One thing to keep in mind, while you are in the trussed up immobilizer make sure you keep your pit clean and dry. I didn't at first and that was a huge mistake. Very very painful rash. I ended up using a cloth with gold bond powder on it.
    Sheldon Linhart
    Excelsior Springs, MO
    1995 Dynatrak /Yamaha Pro V150

14. Member
    As mentioned the physical therapy really helps. I had mine done in 2005 and had an Alaska fishing trip 4-5 months later and I was fine. I remember it did take longer until I could play tennis.

15. Banned
    I wouldn't recommend this but I swear it's the truth. I had my surgery on my right shoulder on Wed and fished a team tournament on Sat same week. I was wearing a sling and casting with my left hand. Honestly my plan was just floating in the boat with my buddy but was feeling good enough to fish and ended up catching 5 keepers and we weighed all of them for our total weight. I still bust his balls and tell him I outfished him from the back of the boat with one arm tied behind my back. LOL

16. Member
    My doc told me he would fix mine if I promised not to tournament fish for 1 year. I could do some fishing when the movement pain was gone, just not tournaments.
    3 1/2 hours of surgery, I didn't want to fish, well for the first 2 weeks. Setting the hook was the worst. Started tournaments about 10 months after surgery.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassfriend View Post
    I wouldn't recommend this but I swear it's the truth. I had my surgery on my right shoulder on Wed and fished a team tournament on Sat same week. I was wearing a sling and casting with my left hand. Honestly my plan was just floating in the boat with my buddy but was feeling good enough to fish and ended up catching 5 keepers and we weighed all of them for our total weight. I still bust his balls and tell him I outfished him from the back of the boat with one arm tied behind my back.
    LOL
    I’m pretty sure we’re related - I had mine done on Monday three weeks ago. 5 anchors for my cuff and biceps. Wife left me alone for 4 hours the day after surgery, so I thought it would be a good idea if I got on my zero turn and knocked out a little grass mowing. My widowed elderly next door neighbor ratted me out - wife was back in 10 minutes, came tearing down the driveway, jumped out and promptly confiscated my mower key, my tractor key, my boat keys, and my Jeep keys. Pretty much left me dead in the water with nothing to do.

Pretty amazing to me how little pain I’ve had from the surgery.

Had both shoulders done. I fished about 4 or 5 weeks after each. Would only go out for about 5 hours to start, on right shoulder only threw bait casters to hold rod in opposite hand. On left shoulder only spinning rods to hold rod in right hand. Take it easy don't go hard.
    Also keep your elbow against your side. That way when you cast or do anything you don't put any stress on your shoulder.
    If your shoulder gets tired or sore go in.

You can any use this time to graph your lakes to get to know them better
    TCnSD
    Terry Chenowth
    Santee, CA

2003 Ranger 195VS
    2011 Etec 200HO
    No Problem I'm on fish...

19. Member
    I have had 4 surgeries on my rotator cuffs. Both arms. The recovery time for each surgery was different. It depends on the amount of damage done to your shoulder.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    4 months or better. Take it easy as its an easy thing to re-tear. Just when you feel like all is well because you feel ok... internally you still need more time. Id wait till spring. Shoulder surgery SUCKS!

3-shoulder surgeries for me so far and needed another now but I'm putting that off.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast