Any idea why this is happening now?

20220925_191027.jpg20220925_191041.jpg20220925_191046.jpg

I have raised the motor to the 3rd hole. But I have zero trim and I'm blowing paint off the lower unit.. any ideas? I just put a Power Tech NRS 13.25 x 19 pitch prop on the boat 2019 190tx.

2. Member
    We need some more information on the motor. Was it in the first hole when you got the boat? Is it a 90 hp or 115hp?

3. Member
    How much weight is in the back? Do you have lithium batteries?

4. Member
    Motor is too high. Lower to hole #2. NRS props have a nice cup. What is your WOT RPM?
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Motor is too high. Lower to hole #2. NRS props have a nice cup. What is your WOT RPM?
    With a stainless prop they generally run best with the motor in the 3rd hole from the top, unless you have too much weight in the front and not enough out back.

6. Member
    PXL_20221002_012402350.jpgSame paint in same place coming off my Merc too - and many others talk about it over in 4 Stroke Merc forum. Likely unrelated to your motor position. If still in warranty, I'd ask my dealer to fix it, it's a defect.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

7. Member
    Its a 2019 115 non pro xs. I had the motor raised to the third hole due to recommendations on the forum.

8. Member
    WOT RPMs is 5600 5700 with very little trim available.

9. #FRB
    My 2016 Merc with 201 hours has paint coming off in the same place. Not bothered by it in the least bit because that and the scratches on the skeg adds character. Shows the boat has been used.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    What do you mean by zero trim? You start trimming up and she just blows out or just starts bouncing really bad?

11. Member
    Start to trim and it blows out.

12. Member
    Do you still have the manual trim bolt installed? Looks like a bolt in the second to last hole, so that would explain the blow out and it greatly affects hole shot. You motor should trim down flush with the transom.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

13. Member
    I'll have to look.. Thanks for the advise as usual.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I’ve never understood why Mercury started painting the lower units on the ProXS silver. Seems they’ve caused a problem for themselves.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaldow View Post
    Its a 2019 115 non pro xs. I had the motor raised to the third hole due to recommendations on the forum.
    I recently replaced a 115 Optimax with a 115 4 stroke non ProXs and had a similar problem. It was obvious the Tech mounted the 4 stroke in the same holes as the Optimax (second hole) and I was confused until I found this Mercury Service bulletin. We dropped the motor one hole and it solved my problem.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

16. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I recently replaced a 115 Optimax with a 115 4 stroke non ProXs and had a similar problem. It was obvious the Tech mounted the 4 stroke in the same holes as the Optimax (second hole) and I was confused until I found this Mercury Service bulletin. We dropped the motor one hole and it solved my problem.

Funny you mention this. My boat is a 2016 and the first year or two of the 4-stroke being the only option. I've always felt like my motor should be on the lowest holes instead of second to lowest like it is now. If they mounted it in the same holes as the 75 Optipop that would make sense. All that said, if they lifted the warranty void on the older Tracker hulls like they seem to have on the new ones when it comes to poles and plates a 4" hydraulic plate might be in my future. I do need to move the center of gravity back after putting so much weight up front. No other place to put said weight since the Ultrex added most of it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Funny you mention this. My boat is a 2016 and the first year or two of the 4-stroke being the only option. I've always felt like my motor should be on the lowest holes instead of second to lowest like it is now. If they mounted it in the same holes as the 75 Optipop that would make sense. All that said, if they lifted the warranty void on the older Tracker hulls like they seem to have on the new ones when it comes to poles and plates a 4" hydraulic plate might be in my future. I do need to move the center of gravity back after putting so much weight up front. No other place to put said weight since the Ultrex added most of it.
    I should have mentioned that my motor is on a 4 inch factory installed set back plate.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching