Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Thank you for the comments. Extremely helpful...
    I did get the new Boyesen reeds. Whish I had waited for your comments. The motor runs quite well.... On the muffs that is. Not tested on the water yet.

What should I be on the lookout for when on the water? I hate to have to replace them after paying $185 for the new reeds.

The air regulator is indeed the problem.
    I ran the motor on my shop compressor and increased the air pressure to 80 PSI on the air rail overcoming the air regulator by volume.
    The engine ran smooth as it should and the fuel pressure was solid at 90 PSI.
    I will have to buy a new one. Any suggestions where to purchase for a better price ? $275 seems high.

Again, really appreciate the support of this blog. The comments are very helpful.
    Last edited by Flipper2022; 10-16-2022 at 03:13 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Holeshot and top-end would be the two areas to watch with the reeds.

You can lookup/order parts on our website, by serial number, and there's a discount code in the Sponsors Forum for orders $110 and over that gives 10% discount and free GROUND shipping.

If the screen on the underside of the regulator (remove for inspection) is in good shape, it may be possible to "fix" that one. Not a procedure I'm getting into on the forums, but you could PM me your phone number. ONLY if the screen is intact (if it's not, you're replacing it anyway).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you EuropeanAm, I sent you a PM.

Dump the boysen reeds, TDR only
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Update and conclusion..... for those interested.

After I completely checked the air and fuel regulators and tracker valve, the issue was solved by doing three things.
    Replaced the rings in the compressor. Replaced the reed valves in the air handler. Replaced the air regulator.

It was not just once thing causing the idle to be bad and the fuel pressure to the low.

Ultimately, the air regulator and new rings in the air compressor solved the fuel pressure issue.
    The idle came back to 98% normal after the reed valves change.

The motor still has a rough idle when first starts. I am told this is an "Optimax thing"
    It is true, when operating temp is reached, it runs really well.

I am getting 5000 RPM at WOT on a 17 pitch Mirage Plus prop. The boat's dry weight is 1900.
    Getting out of the hole is good as well.

Thank you all for the input and suggestions.... special thanks to EuropeanAM for always being there....

Safe boating to all...

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper2022 View Post
    Update and conclusion..... for those interested.

After I completely checked the air and fuel regulators and tracker valve, the issue was solved by doing three things.
    Replaced the rings in the compressor. Replaced the reed valves in the air handler. Replaced the air regulator.

It was not just once thing causing the idle to be bad and the fuel pressure to the low.

Ultimately, the air regulator and new rings in the air compressor solved the fuel pressure issue.
    The idle came back to 98% normal after the reed valves change.

The motor still has a rough idle when first starts. I am told this is an "Optimax thing"
    It is true, when operating temp is reached, it runs really well.

I am getting 5000 RPM at WOT on a 17 pitch Mirage Plus prop. The boat's dry weight is 1900.
    Getting out of the hole is good as well.

Thank you all for the input and suggestions.... special thanks to EuropeanAM for always being there....

Safe boating to all...
    You got bad information on that one, when things are right, they have very good cold starts and a perfect idle cold
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^

AND you need to get that engine to at least 5650rpm at WOT.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    You got bad information on that one, when things are right, they have very good cold starts and a perfect idle cold
    Leon- if the injectors are all within 3% variance and dead-center in acceptable flow range, absolutely.

Very seldom is this the case, however. Having talked with him, I suspect "rough idle" might be a broad description.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12