Drotto Bow Latch on a Basscat Trailer?

Has anyone installed and used a Drotto latch system on a Basscat trailer?

have seen some here on other boats and they seem to work well.

Would be installing on a 2022 Jaguar trailer.

Thanks.

2. Member
    From their site:
    Most BassCat boats have a trailer that have a 3 1/2″ or larger gap in the roller bracket as you can see in these examples. Typically the bow does drop when launching so we recommend the roller attachment as well seen here. It is recommended you double check your measurement before ordering if yours does not look like any of these examples, but this is commonly used on BassCat boat and trailer setups. For these examples we recommend the Large Model Latch with roller here.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

3. Member
    I have one on my 2008 Puma trailer, works great, one of the best investments I have made especially if you are launching or loading by yourself...just one key is not to get the trailer too deep you want to make sure the front set of bunks are out of the water so they push the bow up into the drotto. I should also add it does push your boat back about 1inch or so on the trailer so if you have a tight fit in your garage it might be a problem. I had a friend that had that issue...

4. Member
    Looks nice I need to look into this being I launch by myself 95% of the time.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Is there a link to the recommendation in post #2? I launch my Sabre FTD alone most the time. I’ll likely need to install a 10” roller on the front cross member to prevent the bow from bumping the bow roller when I launch, but the Drotto would certainly make things easier.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Powerloading is a ticketable offense on Michigan waters. I can’t imagine using the drotto without powering the boat up the trailer. Powerloading is defined as anything over idle.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Member
    Not a problem for me. No such rules anywhere I would ever fish.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Powerloading is a ticketable offense on Michigan waters. I can’t imagine using the drotto without powering the boat up the trailer. Powerloading is defined as anything over idle.
    I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I would need to have knee boots with me at all times.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Probably as many boaters getting a ticket for power loading as drivers ticketed for using cell phones while driving. In other words, none.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I would need to have knee boots with me at all times.
    Agreed. Most boats are pretty hard to load centered in the trailer without some bunks being out of the water.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Get as far up the trailer as possible coming in. crank till the bow is on the roller, get back in truck and back down a bit. Get back in boat and climb over the bow. Finishing cranking. Raise motor. Get back in truck and pull out.

I launch alone a lot.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Probably as many boaters getting a ticket for power loading as drivers ticketed for using cell phones while driving. In other words, none.
    Whether they are handing out tickets or not (and they do), it pisses off everyone else around at the launch as it blows a hole in the bottom of the ramp that can tear an axle off a trailer that backs in to far.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

The real issue in most of those locations is the ramps should be longer and further in the water. They simply stop ramps too short at many northern and northeastern locations. Often it’s at older launching locations as they were made for a time when boats were smaller and loaded entirely different. Those areas have not adapted to the newer methods that originated in the 1970’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Whether they are handing out tickets or not (and they do), it pisses off everyone else around at the launch as it blows a hole in the bottom of the ramp that can tear an axle off a trailer that backs in to far.

Following. Looks like a cool design from their YouTube video I just watched.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The real issue in most of those locations is the ramps should be longer and further in the water. They simply stop ramps too short at many northern and northeastern locations. Often it’s at older launching locations as they were made for a time when boats were smaller and loaded entirely different. Those areas have not adapted to the newer methods that originated in the 1970’s.
    I’d say the real issue is the trailer design. Basscat is the only brand boat that I see have an issue loading on non powerload lakes.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

16. Member
    I would like to put one on my 2019 cougar but would like more info myself and would like to see or have input from someone who has one installed on a basscat