Ranger 520r vs vexus 21

Anyone came out of ranger and into a vx 21 ?
    How is the ride and overall comparisons? How much farther out of the water does the vexus sit out of water, and does that hurt the fish ability in the wind?

2. Member
    I can't comment on the difference between a Vexus and Ranger. The VX21 is my first bass boat. But I do know that it sits high in the water. I have noticed that the boat does catch the wind when fishing. But I just manage it with the gps anchor and Raptors. Because of the higher deck, I found it is much easier to pitch and flip baits. Grabbing a fish out of the water with my hands is a bit of a stretch.. but I've fished with my dad in his 1993 champion for 29 years... and it sits much lower... No stretching to lip a fish!

I do select lakes based on the wind. I'm too worried about getting a scratch so I go to bigger lakes in Oklahoma with less submerged timber. And if it's too windy, I just stay home and wax my boat!

I've had my VX21 for exactly 11 months today. I have no regrets about my purchase. I did not test drive any new boats. Just did a lot of YouTube watching and finally got to see a Ranger (not the R) and a VX in person... and chose the Vexus....

3. Member
    I have a 2022 VX21. Previous boat was a 2013 520C. Not much difference in height while in water, if any. I’ve hand the VX21 next to several boats in the water including my 520C, which I sold to a buddy of mine. I also have a buddy with an older Ranger 520VX I believe. Sits about the same as well. I had a Champion 210 that was higher in the water. Sitting on trailer is a different story. The VX21 is much higher while on the trailer. As far as ride, my opinion is it’s a much better ride, especially with the air ride seats. I always said my Champion 210 had a better ride than my 520C but the Vexus is better than both. My wife has been in all my boats and she says it the best riding boat I’ve ever had so far. No issue fish in the wind. You should try to get a demo ride if possible.

4. Member
    Sorry for the typos. Sent reply in a hurry ��

5. Member
    I have owned 6 Rangers in the past, 3 of them being new 21’s and I can tell you hands down the VX is a better boat all around. My 2010 z521 was my favorite of them all. With that said, I didn’t notice a lot of difference in fish ability on the front deck other than more room on the Vexus. Speed about the same but better holeshot with Vexus. Rough water ride and comfort Vexus steals the show. The biggest advantage is the Vexus is just built better, no crappy plastic, loose screws and so on. Don’t get me wrong I do believe Rangers are good boats but I honestly don’t care for the L or the R models fit and finish. The R boat has some cool features for sure but time will tell on how they perform and how reliable they will be. I hope this helps. PM me anytime if you want more details on my setup

6. Member
    I went from a 2016 Z520C to a VX20. Was all set to order a Ranger 520R until I drove a demo. It had some good features but many quality issues and chine walked badly.
    My co anglers rave about the Vexus compared to the Ranger. Much better ride, more spacious, much better co angler rod storage. I think it does sit a bit higher above the water but fishes just as shallow as the Ranger. I've fished in heavy wind with no problem. Because of the deeper vee it does rock a tiny bit more than the Ranger if a wake boat goes by. But its no problem. Very happy I went with the Vexus.
    Last edited by rangerranger; 11-12-2022 at 10:06 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    I went from a 2016 Z520C to a VX20. Was all set to order a Ranger 520R until I drove a demo. It had some good features but many quality issues and chine walked badly.
    My co anglers rave about the Vexus compared to the Ranger. Much better ride, more spacious, much better co angler rod storage. I think it does sit a bit higher above the water but fishes just as shallow as the Ranger. I've fished in heavy wind with no problem. Because of the deeper vee it does rock a tiny bit more than the Ranger if a wake bot goes by. But its no problem. Very happy I went with the Vexus.
    I concur with rangerranger. I have a VX20 and it is exactly as he stated.

8. Member
    Vexus is by far better then any Ranger I have owned. Latest was a 14 520c Better in all categories.

9. Member
    Came out of a 2018 521C to a VX21. Mine definitely sits higher in the water than any of my Rangers did and like was said before, it’s a little stretch to grab fish over the gunnel especially with the arched hand rails but it isn’t terrible. It catches more wind but isn’t too bad. These boats come out of the hole like a rocket and every person that’s been in my boat, including myself, says it’s the best riding boat, especially in rough water they’ve ever been in
    Last edited by Koma; 06-26-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing