Thread: 9/17 report

9/17 report

Got on the water 6am…. Stared with top water and got a few blow up but no hook ups. Couple little guys with a bladed jig. Than about 8:30 the storms hit, very bad lighting!! Worst I’ve ever been out in. I should have went back to the truck! But stupid me stuck it out, then there was several monsoon downpours! Good thing my pump works good because it must have pumped out 20gal of water. After all that the bite got really good on a spook right on the bank, a jerkbait on steep banks, and a jig around structure. Nothing over 4lb but my best 5 weighted 14.77 so not a big bag but still fun. Water temp was 73-74* I believe. I’m excited to seen 60’s temps.
    3E2E1485-9BE1-4347-9FF7-45F0B6744F9A.jpeg
    0A6CCAC4-EE00-4075-88EE-B15CE6D9F34A.jpeg

2. Member
    Not a bad day at all (the fishing, not the weather). We've been hit with a lot of lakes having algae blooms up here, so I decided to try my luck at a very small lake on Saturday morning. Thought the conditions were really good for a topwater bite of some kind, but only had one bite on a frog and I don't think it was big enough to get the bait in it's mouth. Wound up catching just three on a chatterbait and the biggest was only about 16-17 inches. Got several short strikes on a swim jig as well, but they just weren't eating it. This lake is extremely weedy so I was very limited in what I could even try. Like you, I'm looking forward to the water temps starting to cool down and hopefully the big girls starting to feed up.

3. Member
    Thank so much for responding. So one bait I’ve had some luck on in the weeds/grass is a zoom speed worm. I use a 1/4oz weight and a 4-5ot worm hook, T-rig it maybe put some dye on the tail? Sometimes they just don’t bite I’ve had lots of those days myself.

4. Member
    That is one bait I'm embarrassed to say I've never tried. Not sure why, but always feel like that is a Florida bait and I've just never used. I feel like I get stuck on certain baits that I have confidence in and just have a hard time straying away from using them. Do you just straight retrieve it or do you lift and drop, or do something else?

5. Member
    I pretty much just straight retrieve with a 6:4 reel. I do the same thing as well, I have confidence baits that are always on the deck but this year I’ve made myself try lots of other things. But it’s hard to beat something you feel is right.