Bass Tournament in a pontoon??

My wife is dead set on a pontoon and I am ready to upgrade boats. Of course my vision is a 21 ft bass boat but wives can well ya know.

Is it feasible to fish smaller bass tournaments in a fishing version of a pontoon? I mean they have decent size livewells, upgrade on the TM and electronics for sure. I would imaging the wind would get you, the lack of speed would get you. I do not know how shallow they can go safely and I would have to change my casting for flipping. Most lakes are medium and a couple can get pretty rank when the wind gets up. Plus side is since we are now both retired, kids grown, we can have them, grandkids, friends for fun days too and even some intercoastal fishing for reds etc. All boats are very expensive now and I am 59 yrs old so I am looking 5-20 yrs down the road as well as 2023.

Thoughts?

2. Member
    I don't fish any tournaments but we bought this earlier in the year. Been bass fishing out of it and, while it's no bass boat, it does better in my opinion than a pontoon. Tahoe 1950 seats up to 10, they also make a 2150 side console and a center console in the 2150.

I set it up with a Terrova 24v trolling motor, the Hummindird Helix 7 and it has a livewell just behind the bow.

It runs mid to up 40's wide open with the Merc 150 pro xs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former Owner of a 2007 Ranger 180 VS 150 2 Stroke Vmax

I brought this up early in the year , I have a 223F Ranger and it set up with 36v ghost front and rear lowerance units and I know it can be done , I fish docks , seawalls , riprap , everything I did in my Sterling but a lot more comfortable . I'm 70 and don't care what people think , I can run around 44 mph but don't .

What motor ya got on it to run 44? My wife is on me hard to sell my old bass boat cuz my knees and age. I will always have the local tournament bug tho

Tiny boat nation a page on youtube collaborated with pond-tini and it turned out really cool. Their biggest pontoon model is rated for up to 40hp.

Oh I would want at least a 20 ft and the biggest motor allowed. Some rough water lakes I go to

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinoh View Post
    I don't fish any tournaments but we bought this earlier in the year. Been bass fishing out of it and, while it's no bass boat, it does better in my opinion than a pontoon. Tahoe 1950 seats up to 10, they also make a 2150 side console and a center console in the 2150.

I set it up with a Terrova 24v trolling motor, the Hummindird Helix 7 and it has a livewell just behind the bow.

It runs mid to up 40's wide open with the Merc 150 pro xs.
    I'd try to convince the DW on this instead, I'm not a fan of Tahoe but a pontoon, better with a tritoon, is like a sail on windy days. They do make nice floating docks to fish from, I don't think I'd do a tournament in one though. We love our Tritoon and I have fished from it, but I'm no bass fisher, so I can't compare it to a bass boat.

Good luck with your choice.
    2021 Lowe Tritoon SS 210 WT powered by Mercury 150 ProXS
    2019 Ram 4X4 3500 SRW HO CTD