Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GoPro Users - powered stick vs seat post type stick

Posted a GoPro question a while back in the phototography forum, and got crickets... so figure for this one I'll just post here. Caught my personal best recently, and realized I suck at selfies so started looking for a better idea for the next one :). Decided to try the GoPro route, thought it would be cool to have other on the water footage as well... So picked up a GoPro 9, and am looking at two different "pole" mounts - the Yolotek Powerstick, and the Yolotek Boom Micro (non-powered) for 3/4 seat post mount. Seems like most guys who are serious about this have mulitple mounts/cameras, but I'm looking to just start out with a simple single setup.

I originally thought to get the Powerstick, it's the one most talked about being used on bass boats. But it would require having Nav lights (or stern light) powered on all the time. I have a Hydrilla Gear PP light wired into my Nav light wiring, so that means my PP light would be on all day. Not sure if that is an issue or not ie navigation rules, or would be an appreciable power draw on top of powering the Powerstick?

Other option is a seat post mount pole and just using an external power pack which I also have. The Boom Micro is a 24-36" pole - while the powerstick goes up to 53" IIRC. They do have a taller Boom Stick but it's out of my price range.

And lastly, I guess the lowest cost option would be to use GoPro's Roll Bar or tube mount and just mount it on a rear seat pedestal post - but seems like it might be too low?

Plan is to run Gopro on looping mode for the duration of the day, so capturing time on front deck as well as being able to highlight any nice fish caught, plus shooting some "running" videos down the lake at 60-70 mph. Basically your "Ken Smith-like" experience :).

So I guess a few questions...

As far as viewing angle, any preference between center pole vs stern light pole, which would be on starboard gunwale?

Is there a preferred height, ie is the boom micro tall enough at 24-36", or do you need a taller setup ie the 53" pole?

And the aforementioned concern about stern light on PP running also day if going with the powerstick.

I have tried various heights, locations, and mounts all over my rig. What has worked best for me is the camera (GoPro 8) mounted about 24" up on a stern light pole. I have the camera angled so that it covers the area slightly above head height as I'm standing on the front deck and somewhat centered. This allows the camera to see the water to starboard front, the entire deck almost back to the live well, and a fair amount of water on the port side (what's not screened by the boat itself). I run the camera on a waterproof USB setup so the running light is only a running light. I get about 5 hours of video on each card. I have not had any issues with speed or rough water. The only downside to this setup that I have experienced is if you a have a co-angler fishing on the back deck they will gravitate to standing in front of the camera. If no one else offers up input and you want specifics on this set-up as a starting point let me know.

Screen shot to show the view from my set-up
    Screen shot.jpg

Thanks, looks good. So 24", less than I expected, although I like the lower hieght in general from a practacility standpoint if nothing else. Cost between the PowerStick and Boom Micro is a wash, which I though was odd since one is powered and one is not.

I'm leaning towards the seperate power option as well - since the 9 & 10 have some overheating issues, most recomend running on external power without the battery installed to allow better cooling.

I'm considering the Media Mod case too - it's spendy, but adds a mic jac which would be a $50 cost addon anyway, so in my head that makes the case only $30. Plus it also adds external USB for charging/powering. That plus some of that Yolotek putty would work ok I think.

You may want to look at this site to see if this would be an option for you. I have been running the aluminum case/external power cord on both of my GoPro camera's for a couple of years and they work as advertised.

https://3brpowersports.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    You may want to look at this site to see if this would be an option for you. I have been running the aluminum case/external power cord on both of my GoPro camera's for a couple of years and they work as advertised.

https://3brpowersports.com/index.php
    That's a pretty nice looking case, but leaves me w/o ability to use external mic, at least best I can tell... but will dig into it some more - thanks.

7. Member
    I’m a cave man so I’m very challenged when it comes to go pro . But what I have found that works for me since I fish a lot by myself during the week is… put your phone on video mode and switch the viewer around on it so you can sit it on the seat in the cockpit and it will be looking at you. Turn it on and record yourself holding your giant in all different poses in the video. Turn off the video recording. Now go back and watch it.. you can manually scroll through it and find the exact instant you like best and stop it there.. With my iPhone I then take a pic of that part of the video… Even a caveman can do it

8. Member
    I run two cameras. The rear view, I use a paint pole strapped to a seat pedestal with some stainless steel hose clamps. You can get a camera paint pole adapter to attach the camera. I also will use a suction cup mount on my windshield if I have someone fishing with me. For the second camera I use a chest mount. I use the chest camera for audio and I do not use any external mics. The only time I use an external mic (usually a lav mic) is if I’m talking to the camera trying to explain something. I use a power bank to power each camera. There’s some links to the gear I use in description of my videos.

https://m.youtube.com/c/eFishin/videos

Thanks, never even thougt about a paint pole... all kinds of ideas out there.

I currently have a Rode also, so looking to either use the 3.5 GoPro adapter, or just use the MediaMod case which has mic port and charging port built in already. Leaning towards the MediaMod case at this point, and a seat pole type mount and ext battery pack to start with. I though about getting an older model to save some money just getting into it, but wanted the stabilzation/horizon leveling bits so went with the 9. Heck it was only $50 more than the Hero 5 which a lot of folks recommend for a first gopro, but no stabilization/hypersmooth, so figured i go ahead and get the 9. The 10 had lots of overheating complaints, heck now they are already talking about the 11 lol.

If I really get into it, i could see adding a 2nd camera at the windshield, but will stick to one "overall view" camera for now.

10. Member
    I have a 7 and the 3.5 mic adapter can be a pain. If it comes unplugged the slightest bit I loose audio. That’s why I don’t use an external mic while fishing. Not sure about the media mod, never used one. So hears one more thing, get some silicone disks the kind you use to plug your ears for swimming and use it to seal up the USB port to keep water out of it. You can find it in the pharmacy section at your local big box store.

11. Member
    I use the YoloTEK PowerStick and like it. You can see how well it does on my YouTube channel (Marc Marcantonio). I really like that it is powered all day off just my anchor light switch. It covers all the action pretty well.
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Greentrout View Post
    I have a 7 and the 3.5 mic adapter can be a pain. If it comes unplugged the slightest bit I loose audio. That’s why I don’t use an external mic while fishing. Not sure about the media mod, never used one. So hears one more thing, get some silicone disks the kind you use to plug your ears for swimming and use it to seal up the USB port to keep water out of it. You can find it in the pharmacy section at your local big box store.
    Actually same as you, I'm not sure that I acutally need an external mic just for typical fishing vids, and it might even be obtrusive (ie the dead cat blowing off) for runs down the lake. So think I will try it withought an external mic first, even though I already do have the Rode ext mic from another camera setup.

Here was some testing, just had it sitting on the center seat since I have no mount for it yet, wanted to test how long it would run in 4k on the internal battery before overheating and shutting down.. Mic picked up the music playing from a JBL Flip speaker fine, and you can also hear the pumps when I raise the PP's. Next time out maybe I'll actually talk to it haha...

<I removed this vid due to music playing in the background, which YT doesn't like apparently >

Do the silicone disks work better than the silicone putty yolotek sells? Or is it the same thing?

Here's a wind noise check - again no mount so just holding free-hand, and internal mic...

Last edited by 78Staff; 09-14-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I use the YoloTEK PowerStick and like it. You can see how well it does on my YouTube channel (Marc Marcantonio). I really like that it is powered all day off just my anchor light switch. It covers all the action pretty well.
    Yes I like that centered view - your recepticle is more centered - I recall that from previous vids. Mine would be on the starboard rail so would have more of an angle... although that might look fine too I suppose.

I just don't know if having the PP stern light on all day (since it's wired to the stern light recepticle) would be an issue or not. I guess I still have the option to power externally with a power pack even if I use the powerstick, so would have choice of two power options that way. Need to search for some angled views on YT I guess.

14. Member
    I ordered silicone ear plugs as someone suggested here awhile back. They work great and were cheap enough from amazon. You can smash and mold em any way you choose and can be reused.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Actually same as you, I'm not sure that I acutally need an external mic just for typical fishing vids, and it might even be obtrusive (ie the dead cat blowing off) for runs down the lake. So think I will try it withought an external mic first, even though I already do have the Rode ext mic from another camera setup.

Here was some testing, just had it sitting on the center seat since I have no mount for it yet, wanted to test how long it would run in 4k on the internal battery before overheating and shutting down.. Mic picked up the music playing from a JBL Flip speaker fine, and you can also hear the pumps when I raise the PP's. Next time out maybe I'll actually talk to it haha...

Do the silicone disks work better than the silicone putty yolotek sells? Or is it the same thing?

Here's a wind noise check - again no mount so just holding free-hand, and internal mic...

sounds pretty good. You can always boost the sound some in your editing program too. Just be careful with background music. YouTube like to put copyright strikes for stuff like that. I think the silicone disk are the same thing as what Yolotek sell, except they sell it for a lot more.

Did your 9 overheat in 4K?

Quote Originally Posted by Greentrout View Post
    sounds pretty good. You can always boost the sound some in your editing program too. Just be careful with background music. YouTube like to put copyright strikes for stuff like that. I think the silicone disk are the same thing as what Yolotek sell, except they sell it for a lot more.

Did your 9 overheat in 4K?
    Oh yeah, absolutely lol. But I knew it would, common issue with the 9/10 - 10 is even worse. Most suggest running on ext power without battery installed to keep from overheating, but I was just playing around, and was curious how long it would go.

Forgot about copyright... it's not a published url and since it was just a test I will take it down... thanks.

So the only reason I haven't bought the Yolotek powerstick is not sure about the stern light being powered on all day... should I be concerned about it, or would it be a non-issue? From a navigation regulations standpoint I don't think there is any problem. Looks like the stern light (only) pulls about .5ah. Not sure how much the GoPro/USB Power would add.

I mean plenty of folks use the powerstick, just don't see many that also have a pp light powered from the nav light socket as well (which is the default wiring setup for both the RMP and HydrillaGear lights).

18. Member
    So the only reason I haven't bought the Yolotek powerstick is not sure about the stern light being powered on all day... should I be concerned about it, or would it be a non-issue? From a navigation regulations standpoint I don't think there is any problem. Looks like the stern light (only) pulls about .5ah. Not sure how much the GoPro/USB Power would add.

I mean plenty of folks use the powerstick, just don't see many that also have a pp light powered from the nav light socket as well (which is the default wiring setup for both the RMP and HydrillaGear lights).
    Not sure I am understanding what you are saying...the PowerStick plugs into the anchor light pole socket, or in the bow light socket for that matter. The anchor "light" isn't used, just the socket, so the anchor light isn't running all day creating a problem or using power.
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Not sure I am understanding what you are saying...the PowerStick plugs into the anchor light pole socket, or in the bow light socket for that matter. The anchor "light" isn't used, just the socket, so the anchor light isn't running all day creating a problem or using power.
    For those of us who added lights to our powerpoles, the default wiring install is to connect it to the anchor light pole socket wiring - so that it turns on when you use your factory nav light switches. So by powering on that circuit for the powerstick, my anchor light will be on as well.

20. Member
    For those of us who added lights to our powerpoles, the default wiring install is to connect it to the anchor light pole socket wiring - so that it turns on when you use your factory nav light switches. So by powering on that circuit for the powerstick, my anchor light will be on as well.

So that is what you meant...now I understand your situation.
    ciao,
    Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast