Rear Pedestal base replacement

Howdy folks,

Next up on the punch list for my newly acquired champion is replacing the rear seat pedestal base. The rear seat base is currently a non removable fixed style base pictured below. I would like to have a normal pin style that is removable so my co-anglers will have room to stand and fish. I assumed this was not original so removed it and started digging. I stuck my head in the livewell to check underneath, and it appears there was originally a slide and lock pedestal base that the previous owner removed, then covered the hole up with a thin layer of fiberglass, re-carpeted, then mounted the current fixed base on top of the deck. Here is the pic from inside the livewell.

I have searched the internet for the original slide and lock style base but have had no luck finding one. This would be the easiest/cleanest solution as the base would line up with original rectangular hole, but from what I understand these were a pain in the rear and everyone got away from them for a reason. Is my best option to buy a standard square plate base and just make sure the hole i cut lines up inside the old base hole? I would like to install it under the carpet and have recessed screws so there would be minimal stuff showing on the deck and easy on bare feet. Anyone have any similar experience replacing pedestal bases on these old champions? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    What year model? And you might post a pic of your front base.

3. Member
    I have a 1994 190 DC. Unfortunately I cannot see the front pedestal as the previous owner covered it up with padding and new carpet. He then installed a new base further back as he said the original seat placement was too far forward for him with all his electronics and livescope and trolling motor. However, based on feel and from what I can tell, it is also the original slide and lock style base

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Slide n lock would be right for that year. Not the best design, IMHO. Have you checked out the newer snap— loc pedestals and bases?
    You might like them as well as the pin type. I think BPS and Great Lakes Skipper carries them.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Slide n lock would be right for that year. Not the best design, IMHO. Have you checked out the newer snap— loc pedestals and bases?
    You might like them as well as the pin type. I think BPS and Great Lakes Skipper carries them.
    Slide N Lock would explain the rectangular bolt pattern. Unfortunately, I don't think they are manufactured anu longer. But R&R Design still has them on their website. You might contact them if you don't make any major alterations. Slide & Lock Seat Pedestals | Fishing Boats | Ski Boats | Texas (rnrd.com)

6. Member
    I think this may be my best option. Found this base on BPS and from a little measuring it looks like it might line up with the old base and allow me to use the previous screw holes if I am lucky. Would it be best to use screws to fasten it to the deck, or bolts and washers with lock nuts? I should be able to access underneath it through the livewell to bolt it on. Pedestal.jpg
    Last edited by CoachClark; 09-13-2022 at 11:27 AM.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    That might just work. You could use some large fender washers on bottom site of the fiberglass to help support it if needed.

8. Member
    I mcgyvered my original R&R seat bases to hold an offset kingpin style seat base for the bow. Can't seem to upload a pic. I used the one you posted for the rear. It drains into the livewell.
    Last edited by RickCamilleri; 10-25-2022 at 04:21 PM.
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

9. Member
    Here's a link to my post back in 2019
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...ight=Seat+base
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite