MK Ultrex 80lb non-Link: NO GO

To say that I have loved this troller would be an understatement, BUT...
    The other day we had it out and used it all morning. I have the larger and smaller remotes for it as well as the compass "puck." I mix it up using the foot controller and the remotes. It worked great all morning. We decided to motor to another location and put the troller back down and NOTHING. It would steer just fine. The remotes were communicating well as the smaller one's commands would show up on my larger one and both remotes could steer, anchor, etc., but there was NO prop spin. We turned the power off and on via the foot pedal switch and even killed power to the unit altogether for a bit, but these "resets" also did nothing to help. The speed on the LCD also registered correctly the speed of our now wind-blown boat. The speed power selections would show on my remote as I changed them with either remote and showed the turning prop icon, but no actual prop spin took place.
    I retried everything out of the water at my house with the exact same results. I took the top cover off of the unit and found a small fuse. Visually, it looked fine. Testing it post to post across the top with a voltmeter, I showed over 24v. I then placed the voltmeter to the much larger feed wire connectors to the wires that go down through the shaft to the motor. I showed some fluxuations in the voltage across the two while changing the speed outputs to the troller, but never saw steady voltages or anything more than 3 volts.
    Feeds to the troller do include a breaker, but this was never thrown while in use. All utilized troller functions and GPS worked fine until the second location and since.
    Any ideas? Hoping for a cheap, easy, non-time consuming fix!
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Member
    Water intrusion in the Motor. To verify remove the prop and loosen the bolt near the skag. Partially deploy the motor and check for water coming out of the bolt hole.

3. Member
    I will do this! Thank you, Bradrodfish!! I never actually suspected this really, figuring the breaker would have went. If this is the case 1.) I need to find where the water came in and fix it 2.) dry out the motor 3.) hope it wasn't terminal. Correct? Anything I need to add to this? Any further recommendations?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Voltage across a fuse means it is blown. But that’s for noise reduction in your electronics and has nothing to do with your problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Voltage across a fuse means it is blown. But that’s for noise reduction in your electronics and has nothing to do with your problem.
    Shouldn't you mean NOT BLOWN if there is voltage across the fuse :?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Shouldn't you mean NOT BLOWN if there is voltage across the fuse :?
    No a good fuse should measure very close to zero volts. A blown fuse will measure supply voltage across it.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    No a good fuse should measure very close to zero volts. A blown fuse will measure supply voltage across it.
    on the ground side?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    on the ground side?
    Measuring across it means one meter lead on each terminal of the fuse. It will be near zero if the fuse is good since the voltage is the same on both sides.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Measuring across it means one meter lead on each terminal of the fuse. It will be near zero if the fuse is good since the voltage is the same on both sides.
    so voltage drop! got it
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    I mis-stated the voltage across the fuse. You are correct. I learned something if that was put in there to somehow help with noise reduction in other electronics. Thanks! That is why I love reading these threads.