First travel trailer

Just purchased our first travel trailer and should be picking it up this week (Thursday).
    I’ve been doing a lot of reading and online information seeking to get as familiar as I can before easing our way into setting up at a campsite. It’s an R pod 192. Tried to stay small and no slide out was our main goal. I know the quality of these trailers may not be the best but we plan on doing our due diligence on upgrades and preventative maint on known issues with cheaper trailers.
    Ordered heating blanket install for tanks, small sway control bar and brake controller for the Durango were the only add ons we did.
    Not planning on doing super cold use but will likely be out in sub 32 nights from time to time.
    Looking for any tips for a newbie on anything you veterans or other newbies can offer up.
    I plan on heat tracing the sewage drain lines and valves sometime since they are below the belly enclosure.
    Again not looking to be out in major cold weather since this is not a four season trailer but will be looking into sealing and possibly insulating the belly at some point.
    We looked at soooo many trailers and actually came back to this one which was our first pick on our first day out. Almost went with a Grand design MK17 after seeing someone mentioning the Grand design brand on here.
    They are super nice on the inside. Just ended up being a little too wide and a little heavier than I wanted to go on my first trailer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Congrats!! No advice except to join any forums online for the R Pods and gain from their experience. Enjoy!!

3. Member
    Spend your first night fully set up at home in your driveway. Test everything, cook at least one meal and sleep in it. You'll be surprised how many trips you make back into the house to get something you need...
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    Spend your first night fully set up at home in your driveway. Test everything, cook at least one meal and sleep in it. You'll be surprised how many trips you make back into the house to get something you need...
    Thats prob a good idea. May have to put it in the yard due to severe slope of driveway. It’s rained for most of the week so it’ll have to be after it hardens up some.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Congrats!! No advice except to join any forums online for the R Pods and gain from their experience. Enjoy!!
    Yes, thank you. I was looking at one online but I think they wanted a ID of the camper so they could verify ownership or something.
    I will def join a few of those.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    Sound advise.
    We keep a camper stored at the lake year round. We have a Rockwood Roo 233 expandable. Its an older model and i have done a ton of work on the thing as it was pretty rough when we got it.
    I have replaced the entire floor new tires last year. Beds, etc.
    When we firs got ours we left it set up at the house for a week maybe more just cleaning it and going through things we wanted in it. Now we have everything in it we need and just restock when needed like shoping for the hosue. Wife has one of the little note pads hanging in the camper like a shopping list. If we need plates or cups or whatever she writes it down and we either get it while we are camping if its jsut flat out or if its jsut something we are getting low on we bring the list home shop for the camper than the next trip we take it all back.
    After camping in big tents for years the camper has been great and we will probably never go back to a tent.

7. Member
    I would suggest a tpms system. Flats can do a lot of damage to a travel trailer.

with that make sure you have the needed tools/jacks to change the tires. Might want to have a 12v pump with you as well.

we carry pieces of 2x12 cut to various lengths to park on to help level. Some use the plastic pads instead. With the rpod that wouldn’t be too heavy.

of course a good selection of tools for when it requires attention- because it will. Get a electric meter for testing. Also a surge protector- these can check the service at the pedestal when hooking up.

we are in a 37’ class a dp (diesel pusher) so we tend to carry “stuff”.

keep a good attitude because it will be an adventure.
    currently boatless

Thanks for all the advice. We have most items mentioned above: surge protector, pads for stabilizers and tongue jack, I bought the tire leveler jack hoping that would be easier than other leveling methods, good heavy rubber chocks from harbor freight, water pressure regulator and filter, the TT came with installed TPS sensors for pressure and temps.
    I will certainly grab a good tool bag and put together a decent tool supply/volt meter. Need to get a bottle jack so thanks for the reminder on that.
    Im sure we will forget some items the first few times out but we will likely only be staying 1 to 2 nights for a while and fairly close to home so it won’t be a huge deal. Making some lists will be very important. Items list, check lists for setting up and tearing down.
    I hope I never forget to check/ fill the water heater before flipping on the electric to it. I know that takes the element out within minutes. A hanging reminder by the switch seems like a no brainer.

9. Member
    Plenty of YouTube videos available with great info. Create checklists - lots of things you can forget otherwise. My wife and I have been RVing for decades and love it. Good luck.

10. Member
    Join forestriverforums.com that’s who manufactures the R-Pod. They have a specific sub forum for R-Pod owners.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

11. Member
    Get some memory foam bed toppers for a better night sleep.