VJ150ELATR Fuel issues

Yesterday at the ramp I went to start my '93 Johnson 150. I advanced the throttle a little and used the primer solenoid. As usual it "hit" once and then I turned the key without pushing in and it fired up. Immediately I had a continuous alarm, so I shut it down. I decided to just put the trolling motor down and fish for a little bit by the ramp. After a while I decided to see if it would start and if the alarm was still going off. I did pump the primer bulb just a few times to make sure it was firm. I'd done this before the initial start up. Just a couple pumps and it was good. The motor started without too much trouble and no alarm was going off, but it definitely wasn't running right. Long story short, it will idle and will rev in neutral, but in gear it will only run low RPM's before dying. Pushing in the key when it sputters does help it stay running while in gear. It won't come even close to getting on plane. I put it on the muffs in the driveway and It'll start and rev fine in neutral.

So I'm assuming this is a fuel issue. I've had the motor 6 years and here's the work I've done: two carb rebuilds: after the first carb rebuild I had bad "heat soak" symptoms, but after the second rebuild that issue was almost non existent and it's run great ever since. I've rebuilt the VST, and replaced the powerpack previously. I've also replaced the exterior fuel hose and primer bulb. I have never replaced the fuel hose under the back deck or knocked out the anti-siphon valve, so I guess that's next. If that doesn't do it, I'm guessing it's time for a new fuel pump. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Member
    i would upgrade all fuel hose asap (that has not already been done.) can you run it off of an external tank and retest it? those old fuel hoses break down and plug up -- have a fuel filter to check out for debris?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Have you checked the inline fuel filter?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Have you checked the inline fuel filter?
    I checked the filter at the VST and it looked okay. I can be at the lake to test in 10 min so water testing is not a big deal. I’ll change the hose.

Thanks

5. Member
    A lean 2 stroke is a soon to blow 2 stroke
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Update on an old post. I replaced the fuel line under the deck and the VRO. Basically have the same result, but can’t even get the motor to stay running at all for more than a few seconds. Noticed fuel spilling out the primer solenoid when I’d push in the key. There is a big crack in the cap on the top. Obviously I’ll replace the cap, but can that cracked cap be causing all of my issues?

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes, if you have a local dealer he can get you a primer solenoid repair kit if not you can order OEM parts on many of the online parts houses. Order the parts by your model number. www.marineengine.com is a good site.

8. Member
    Thanks—got one ordered already.

9. Member
    The primer solenoid cap was the answer. Runs like a champ on the muffs anyway. I do need to replace the red valve and o ring because the red part is cracked and the o ring isn’t tight in the new cap, thus leaking when I push the key in.

Thank you guys!

10. Member
    Replaced the service valve and took it to the lake. Motor runs amazing on the muffs. In the lake, not so much. It starts great but I get an inconsistent horn when I’m the water whether I give it throttle or it’s just sitting in neutral. Being afraid it was low oil alarm I didn’t run it much at all. Back in the driveway today it runs great and you’d swear it’s ready to go. No hint of alarm in the driveway. Any suggestions on what to look at next? It’s difficult to describe what the alarm sounded like it was almost like a continuous alarm that was being interrupted vs steady on off pluse as described in the manual for low fuel.

Also I need to replace the 3/16 line that runs from the port side rail behind the throttle bodies to the air box. My first attempt at purchasing the hose got me one with too thick an outside diameter. And too thin inside.

11. Member
    Update: Long story short, I replaced the water pump and it’s now running great.

Long story for entertainment purposes and maybe someone can learn something: this was the first time I’ve replaced the water pump since I’ve had the boat and it was long over due. The old impeller looked fine but I couldn’t get it off the drive shaft. Ended up having to take a dremel tool to it and cut it off. After that I assembled the new pump and got the lower unit back on without too much trouble. It pretty much slid right on. I bolted it up and was feeling pretty good about myself when I looked on the back deck of the boat and noticed the gasket for the impeller housing sitting there. What an idiot. I felt like puking. Round two went fine and I got everything bolted back up. I took the bottom starboard carb off to get the linkage hooked back up. The motor ram great in the driveway. After that I changed the spark plugs.

A trip to the lake yielded a motor that started great and would idle, but that’s about it. I could go about 4 mph and it would die. Pushing in the primer wouldn’t help anything. The motor sounded like it was firing a cylinder or two short. Maybe a coil I thought? At least I wasn’t getting any alarms!

This week I pulled the cowling off. The plan was to check compression and check for spark. There was an obvious issue—after replacing the spark plugs I didn’t hook up the bottom port plug wire. What an Idiot. Back to the lake today everything worked great and I even caught a couple fish. I did check the compression with a harbor freight tester I just bought. They were all reading like 30 psi low, but were all close so I’ll chalk that one up to a bad tester.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't beat yourself up over it, things happen and # 6 isn't that easy to access. Good job getting back up and running properly.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Don't beat yourself up over it, things happen and # 6 isn't that easy to access. Good job getting back up and running properly.
    Thanks Fred!