R.I.P Lake Sabatia In Taunton

FYI,
    If you haven't been to Lake Sabatia in Taunton lately you will be in for a big surprise. They have started a 4 times a year weed spraying program.

They have in all reality killed the lake. It being a very shallow fertile lake it is conducive to growing weeds of all kinds. The spraying has affected almost all the weeds in the lake as Millfoil and Water Chestnuts were their main targets.

The river inlet to Sabatia had such a stench from rotting vegetation and the water condition in this area was so fowl that I had to leave the area.

Speaking to the folks on the lake they said that this is a 3 year 4 times a year program spraying program. I explained to the home owners the only ones that win are the people spraying the weeds.

They said it cost them $125,000 for the program.

Another lake we lose to the weed sprayers.

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Wow didn't hear about it but thanks for the heads up they did the machine thing at Long Pond Freetown in a few areas , no sure how it affected things yet haven't spent enough time there.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I’m not a scientist but it sure seems like the lakes they treat get worse every year not better along with killing the fishing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    I’m not a scientist but it sure seems like the lakes they treat get worse every year not better along with killing the fishing
    Exactly. And they look gross because they removed the only filters in the lake that were keeping them cleaner/clearer. Too many moron lake front homeowners doing stupid shit to these lakes...

Monponsett looks like a cesspool now after several sprays this year. Those people think they’re smarter than they actually are.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

The dynamics of the oxygen levels/water quality while the weeds dying has a tremendous effect on the fish population. I spent a bit of time with the NFWS service and the weed management of ponds. Did fish shocking (blast to do BTW) and weed harvest (machine). Spraying on small shallow bodies is not recommended, from the fish population side. On large bodies where there is only sections, it can be done. (note the argument if any should be done). If the demand in made to harvest, the Machine method is more desirable, does not effect the water quality as drastic as spray and still leaves some habitat for the fry and young to hide from predators. When you make it a fish bowl with spraying it upsets the year class of the fish population. Keeping a healthy year class progression is essential to the fishery. Note Machine harvest vs. spray is a cost issue too, the manpower and equipment drive a high cost to execute.

That's what the state of Mass does. Mass just goes in and kills everything. They don't care about fishermen.

Move to Maine like I did, the fishing is great and they take care of the fishermen here.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Don’t listen to Al. He’s really old and his mind wanders and he just starts spewing words. Pay no attention , fishing sucks.
    Proud Army Dad

9. Member
    Al,is the most reliable octogenarian I know!
    Red Sox in 6!

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Also the Nip in Raynham went there couple weeks ago water very low still and chocolate brown no weeds to speak of and hardly any pads not sure if it was treated but it's nasty... Spent a couple 3 hours there then bailed and went somewhere else that bad
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Al,is the most reliable octogenarian I know!

Yea, thanks Phil, but not there yet.........

Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    Don’t listen to Al. He’s really old and his mind wanders and he just starts spewing words. Pay no attention , fishing sucks.