17 ZX250 - Parasitic draw on battery from main switch panel?

Hey guys, I've been trying to chase down a draw on my battery and wanted to just throw a post up here to see if anyone might have already experienced the same thing and could give me a lead in the right direction.

I've replaced a bunch of connections and actually tested each negative lead to the battery for draw with my multimeter - But never really identified anything that "should" be drawing the battery down...But when everything is back together it seems as if there is a draw when the main power is on. Right now my suspicion is that it's in the main switch panel because the red light under the power switch no longer comes on (but it still works, I assumed the light burnt out) and I had a blown fuse on the aerator timer. I hear an intermittent clicking noise from under the switches that I think is the livewell timers? I don't think they are supposed to click when not on?

Is it possible those are bad, remaining on all the time? Any one else ever had to chase the switch wires around have any advice? I will keep working at it, but wanted to see if I could get a tip or two from you guys if you have them.

Thanks!
    -Logan

2. Member
    Not all years are the same, but on mine, when the panel "power" switch is on, it energizes the relay for horn and 12v (cig lighter style outlet). That relay will have a slight drain. There are 2 other relays that I can't figure what they're for but not sure if they energize with power on or only when pump or whatever is turned on. Anyway, these 3 relays are at bottom of my fuse box. Also, with "key on", if you have an hour meter gage, it will make a ticking sound, but no battery drain when it's off.
    note: relays will click when turning on or off...or trying to.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

3. Member
    Thanks I'll check those out.

And by drawing it down, I mean it's killing an X2 31AGM faster than I believe it should....With two HDS9's and active target on and nothing else (main power on, but no pumps or anything running, this was a test in my garage) I get about 7 hours of run time before the battery is at a point where I'd want to turn it off. I know that's a good amount of time, but I fish electric only lakes a good bit where I'll be out for 8 or 9 hours without turning motor on so it's a concern for me. In the past, I could fish all day with 2 units on (before AT installed) and be fine on a group 27 interstate dual purpose, so the fact my X2 is worse off is why I'm concerned.

I had the X2 checked and it's supposedly fine, though I'm not ruling out that it's bad if I can't find this phantom draw.
    -Logan

4. Member
    ok, I thought you meant just the switch on (with nothing else) was draining it. The things I mentioned should have little effect compared to what your 2 graphs use.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    Just some general thoughts as far as testing goes, if you have a volt meter or an amp clamp start taking some readings at the battery. Power on and see how much draw you have. Disconnect areas you think are issues and see what kind of draw you actually have. If it all seems inline maybe you have an issue with the new battery and not a draw. Or you will find what’s causing the excessive draw and fix it. Kind of a pain but a lot of electrical can be. Get a plan of attack and take it one item at a time. Maybe you know all this already, either way best of luck.

6. Member
    did you just answer your question? "...I could fish all day with two units on (before active Target)..." try turning that battery eater off and check again. Quite a few guys (me included) added a separate battery to run the AT module. My way of diagnosing is that if I make a change and then a problem develops it is more than likely the change caused the issue somehow... and like was noted earlier, the new battery could be faulty.
    Hopefully you'll get it figured out soon, post the fix, and we all can learn.

7. Member
    Check the ignition switch. When the keys off make sure it’s actually off

8. Member
    I have the same issue going on right now, did you ever figure your issue out?

9. Member
    The power pole power on my boat doesn't go through the on/off switch. I use the circuit breaker for the power pole to turn it off. If I forget, it will completely drain the battery.
    Last edited by chwebmaker; 05-30-2023 at 01:13 PM.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

10. Member
    This really isn't the same situation as the OP but this might help someone or prompt some input. My FX21 (2010) seems to draw off the main cranking battery even if my key pad main power switch is off. Maybe it is the auto bilge pump switch. I know the pump itself isn't running or anything else for that matter. There are no clicks or other sounds. I charge all 4 batteries with the MK 460PC after every trip until it shows full charge (solid green lights) for all batteries. I unplug the charger. If the boat sits for say (3) three weeks and I hook the charger up before going out the next day the trolling motor batteries come up to full charge very quickly. The cranking battery which is an Odyssey Extreme 31AGM Marine (new) takes a while to come up to full charge. The situation is very puzzling. Could it be the auto bilge sensor unit? Does the outboard draw any juice just being hooked up? Over the winter I took all the cables off the main battery except the MK charger leads. I would hook up the charger every 4 weeks or so it it brought the battery up to full charge very fast so I believe the problem is not the battery. I'm thinking of installing an isolation switch so that with the switch off the only thing on the battery will be the charger. Any opinions about my situation? Does the battery drawing down indicate a short or some electrical problem? What do you think about installing the master switch? Thanks