Thread: What Pivot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Pivot?

I'm not sure how the market was ever pricing in a pivot next year given where inflation is but it looks like Powell set them straight today. Inflation will be tamed even if it impacts the labor markets and the overall economy. Looks like the market finally is taking him at his word.

2. Member
    Yup. Got some great deals today during the sale.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Crazy that this market bounced as high as it did.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    Had an order in effect for 60 days for an ETF that I lowballed. Not only was it placed friday afternoon, I could have gotten it even lower. Looking to pick up WMT or XOM on monday. I like deals that I can hold long term, buy and forget about them for the most part.

Powell cannot tame inflation with the Government spending money like a drunken sailor. Next thought is with people spending less because of inflation, will the Government think they need to throw more money in the form of stimulus, free college, handout for businesses etc and defeat the Fed's attempt to reduce inflation and the money supply ? Never ending cycle. Maybe if they (the Federal Reserve and the Government) kept their hands off a free market economy, we would not see the large boom and bust cycles.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    We need the boom and bust cycles. Busts to clean out the garbage companies and booms to take a profit and make lots of money from the buying opportunities given during the busts.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Member
    I got puts out on HD and AVGO at some low prices (250 HD) and 450 on AVGO. They got sort of close to hitting when it fell last time so we shall see. Going to be picking up alot of SCHD in another account if it falls under 73 this week.

7. idbefishing
    Why SCHD? is it a long term hold for dividend type of deal?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I got puts out on HD and AVGO at some low prices (250 HD) and 450 on AVGO. They got sort of close to hitting when it fell last time so we shall see. Going to be picking up alot of SCHD in another account if it falls under 73 this week.
    SCHD hit 72 and change…I’m slowing adding to my position as I think it will go lower.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Why SCHD? is it a long term hold for dividend type of deal?
    It is a dividend growth ETF that yields around 3.5%. It has sticks like PG, PEP, LMT. Im buying it in one of the accounts that I dont monitor much to make my life easier.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    SCHD hit 72 and change…I’m slowing adding to my position as I think it will go lower.
    I put orders in at 74, 73, 72, 71 and 70. Going to add on the way down.

11. Member
    I put orders in at 74, 73, 72, 71 and 70. Going to add on the way down.
    Great idea. I love dividends on any stocks or ETFs I own. SCHD is a good one. I also buy SCHV on hard dips. Not as good as SCHD but it still pays out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Great idea. I love dividends on any stocks or ETFs I own. SCHD is a good one. I also buy SCHV on hard dips. Not as good as SCHD but it still pays out.
    Dividends are the way. A paycheck for a job you don't have to show up to since you are the owner.

13. idbefishing
    Does your brokerage just reinvest the dividends automatically or they pay out then you do it manually?

Would you buy VIG at 143?
    Last edited by idbefishing; 08-30-2022 at 08:49 PM.

14. Member
    Does your brokerage just reinvest the dividends automatically or they pay out then you do it manually?

I manually choose whether I want dividends reinvested. I have some VIG in my retirement account but I like SCHD better.

15. Member
    I've got about $5k sitting at Schwab that I'm DCA over the next month or so into QYLD covered call ETF. Very solid monthly dividend and much better than sitting in a bank. It may also rise in value before I need the money when the housing/business markets crash and new opportunities present themselves lol.....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I've got about $5k sitting at Schwab that I'm DCA over the next month or so into QYLD covered call ETF. Very solid monthly dividend and much better than sitting in a bank. It may also rise in value before I need the money when the housing/business markets crash and new opportunities present themselves lol.....
    Take a look a JEPQ. It is similar to QYLD but the structure is a little different in that they use Equity Linked Notes and sell calls on the NDX while holding individual stocks in the QQQ in an actively manage portfolio. It is new so not much history on it to look at though.

17. Member
    Take a look a JEPQ. It is similar to QYLD but the structure is a little different in that they use Equity Linked Notes and sell calls on the NDX while holding individual stocks in the QQQ in an actively manage portfolio. It is new so not much history on it to look at though.
    I'll check out JEPQ later today...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

18. Member

I get all my Dividends in cash. That way I can decide when to buy the stock or ETF…when it’s on sale.

19. idbefishing
    Dividends are pay based on number of shares right? does it fluctuate much?

20. Member
    I got 40 JEPQ at an even 45, then it dropped, then came back up again...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast