Thread: Nickajack

Nickajack

Is the grass matting up yet and is there any sign of a frog bite yet ? I live an hour and a half from Marion County boat ramp and really don’t want to burn that much gas without having an idea what to expect. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Dont know about the frog bite but the grass is matting .

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

3. Member
    No first hand experience, but after checking the Chick fishing forum on FB, I would wait a couple more weeks at least. Maybe the weekend after Labor Day.

Ok cool, thanks for replying guys

5. Member
    There are all kinds of fishable matts on Nickajack. However, the frog bite has been slow because they are pulling so much water. The fish have been out of the matts and on the grass edges chasing bait. We have caught some frog fish, but most have come on other topwater baits. It's bee two weeks since I have been down there though.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

Think I'm going to go down tomorrow and try around mid lake and maybe up toward downtown and below the dam.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

I plan to go Thursday (09/15). Hopefully the cooler temps have them moved up in the matts

I put in at Sullivans and fished up and down the river area and caught 5 there. Mostly smallish fish with one nice 3.5lb fish. Loaded boat and put in at the park in downtown and probably caught 40-50 mostly small spotted bass on cranks through downtown area. Not the best day but catching that many was still fun. The 3.5 did come out of a grass mat. I would agree that they seemed to be out in front of the grass or on the drop offs.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

We fished from 9 am until 4 pm. We threw frogs all day, had six blowups and boated two. All our blowups were within the first six to eight feet of the matts, no action further back in the matts. The cheese is better on some matts than others

10. Member
    I took my son Saturday evening and caught 25 to 30 fish but only 5 keepers. 2 on frogs and 3 on a one knocker spook on the edge of the grass.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Dual Console
    115 V-Max SHO

We went again yesterday and wow was it tough. We only fished frogs and punched the matts, we had zero blowups on frogs and maybe three solid bites punching. Ended up only catching one punching in seven hours. Also noticed the matts on shallow flats are already starting to bust up and disappear