Black Label/WEC crank bait help

I would like to try some of the Black Label crank baits that are based off of the Zoom WEC. Can you anyone help me get started with which model (and colors) to start with? I'm thinking maybe the Hickster and the Wreck. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rodster14; 08-23-2022 at 06:18 PM.

2. Member
    I really like the Hickster in chartreuse magic

3. Member
    The Wreck is the only one I use but is definitely a fish catcher. Deflects very well

4. Member
    The Wreck in Foiled Gizzard Shad and River Bream. The Peanut in DC9, Foiled Gizzard Shad, River Bream.
    Last edited by Reelfoot; 08-26-2022 at 10:20 AM.

5. Member
    I had actually gone ahead and ordered a Foiled Gizzard Shad and River Bream, so I must be on the right track. I can't wait to fish them. I will likely try a Hickster next.

6. Scraps
    I like the Wreck. Like the 2-2.5in size baits in the balsa B type body shape. Good for fishing hard cover. Not so great deflecting casts off docks thogh.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Another good option if you are looking for something similar to the old Zoom WEC E1 squarebill would be the John Hott H1 squarebill. Very similar and although more expensive than the Black Label, at only $21.95 each it's not bad for a custom balsa bait.

8. Member
    I am loving the Black Label wreck (especially the River Bream color). I am also using the Hickster. Is there a deeper diving crank that is based off of a WEC?

I just recently got one each of the Wreck & CB (circuit board lip) baits in shad patterns. Beautiful baits. Just waiting on the water to cool down a bit more
    Ranting incoherently

10. Member
    A few others in the Black Label line that get overlooked are the 1.5 and Prowler square bills .. I would also add the Shiver 7 ..Wobbler and Prowler MR..