Step Down Shelf added to ZX - Also added Amped Drawer

Just wanted to follow up on my previous post about adding the step down to my '16 ZX225. Ordered the part from my dealer, wasn't exactly cheap but is made of aluminum, with re-enforcement - very sturdy, and fits the flare/profile of the walls perfectly. It's actually part no SP52000133 for a ZX250, for anyone interested.

Anyway, mounted up with some #12's and it's rock solid. Then I contacted Tracey at Ampd Marine about thier step drawer, which they recently have been working to modify to work with the 15-17 ZX/FX - previously they only had one for the '18 and up model years. After some discussion I wound up purchasing the center box organizer set which I was also interested in, and he also sent out a pre-production drawer to test fit - we would use my ZX as a test mule of sorts.

Everything worked out great, imo. The orgainizer dropped right in, as it's been in thier catalog for a while now so no suprise there. Still figuring out exactly how I want to set it up, but am impressed so far.

The drawer was a bit tricker, the install is straitforward enough, but you have to kind of finagle the drawer in place to connect the slides due to the way the step down area narrows as it flow aft - I don't think the 18' and up models have this issue. But once it's in it's a nice snug fit. The latch is adjustable, so you have some leeway in how it shuts against the step as well. Great little option for us ZX/FX guys who are lacking that center storage the *XR guys got :). Currently have my scale and some culling/livewell gear in it, a few tools with room for more.

Here's a few pics... Big thank you to Tracey at Ampd Marine for working with me on these items. I've also got thier cooler insert and rear bilge tray which I've posted on before - have been very happy with all their products. Definitely check them out if looking for some storage/organization options...

2. Member
    Nice!

3. Member
    That’s really excellent. It’s amazing sometimes how a small thing like that little drawer for tools can make a big difference.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Yeah I am very happy with it, both the step and the drawer.

Funny story, first time out after installing the step was a T, so launched early/in the dark and kinda forgot about the step - almost busted my a$$ the first time I stepped down from the deck to the cockpit when launching the boat... I was like... "oh yeah..." lol.

5. Member
    Came out great, glad everything bolted up without fabrication

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Yeah I am very happy with it, both the step and the drawer.

Funny story, first time out after installing the step was a T, so launched early/in the dark and kinda forgot about the step - almost busted my a$$ the first time I stepped down from the deck to the cockpit when launching the boat... I was like... "oh yeah..." lol.
    I know that feeling all too well, it’s easy to forget about changes. Muscle memory is a real thing for sure.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

7. Member
    What did this upgrade cost if you don’t mine me asking ?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan triton View Post
    What did this upgrade cost if you don’t mine me asking ?
    The step was $180-ish, IIRC. That's step only, no hardware, instructions, etc lol. My dealer also charged me shipping so it wound up being just over $200.

The Ampd items (Drawer, Organizers, Bilge Tray, etc) the prices are on thier website - https://ampdmarine.com/

9. Member
    I have the drawer installed on my FXR. It’s flimsy, but useful. I since noticed that a friend, who recently purchased an FXR, had a second seat pedestal mount added and it went through that step with the base attached below (easy to do with the access from the floor “trash bin”). I think I would rather have the 3rd seat location than the drawer in hindsight. Putting one of my pedestal seats there during trailering would also serve as a cover support at a much needed location.

10. Member
    Do you by chance have the skeeter part number for the step? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterMac View Post
    Do you by chance have the skeeter part number for the step? Thanks
    It was SP52000133.

12. Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I have the drawer installed on my FXR. It’s flimsy, but useful. I since noticed that a friend, who recently purchased an FXR, had a second seat pedestal mount added and it went through that step with the base attached below (easy to do with the access from the floor “trash bin”). I think I would rather have the 3rd seat location than the drawer in hindsight. Putting one of my pedestal seats there during trailering would also serve as a cover support at a much needed location.
    I would like to have that trash bin, but my model year pre-dates it apparently. I just use the cooler instead. My buddy has a Bass Cat which has a third seat base as well, basically right at the rear of the front deck - it's a nice thing to have.