Thread: Lets Talk Grips

Lets Talk Grips

How much do they matter? Oversize, midsize, taper, softness, stickiness, etc.

I personally like the Winn Dri-Tacs, but my driver and woods have Golf Pride grips that they came with and I like them because I can position my hands in the exact same spot every time based on where my lower thumb is with the lettering.

I don't have big hands, but have hit some clubs with mid sized grips and liked the results.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I think they matter a lot. Your grips are your only connection to the club and that is overlooked by most golfers. I change my grips, when playing and practicing a lot, every 3-4 months. I use the Golf Pride Align grips for the very reason you state plus i have aways loved the feel of a ribbed grip.

3. Member
    I bought midsize once and hated them. Changed everything. Size matters in golf grips apparently!

4. Member
    Had a pro tell me that you should go with the slimmest grip possible. He told me a larger grip will slow your swing speed. Even if it feels "better", it slows your swing speed.

5. Member
    Small hands here, when I was getting fitted for my Ping's they recommended a smaller grip size so that is what I did. For me it made a big difference in control, far fewer miss hits because the club face has rotated in my hand during the swing.

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    Had a pro tell me that you should go with the slimmest grip possible. He told me a larger grip will slow your swing speed. Even if it feels "better", it slows your swing speed.
    He was a bad pro.

Small hands here also, I play with the Winn Dri-Tac Grips. When I went through my club fitting they were very meticulous in fitting me into the right size grips. They measured my hands and narrowed down the grip selection based on size. Then, they put those on the clubs I was purchasing and performed multiple swings on the launch monitor. I rotated through several grip sizes and found the size and feel that worked best for me.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

Thanks for all the info.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    I went up to a midsize and felt like I had more control of the club, and it's just more comfortable in my hands. Between a XL and 2XL glove for reference
    Fish have fins, they swim

10. Fishing is a Passion
    Mens Cadet medium glove. I use original Golf Pride grips. Just cannot go wrong with them.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

11. Member
    Tour velvet 360’s once a year. Hot humid conditions here and that is what feels best to me.

12. Member
    I sweat a lot so i use cord grips, really liking the new Golf Pride cord Z grips, i moved up to the midsize grips, it seems to give me more control.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    Small hands here also, I play with the Winn Dri-Tac Grips. When I went through my club fitting they were very meticulous in fitting me into the right size grips. They measured my hands and narrowed down the grip selection based on size. Then, they put those on the clubs I was purchasing and performed multiple swings on the launch monitor. I rotated through several grip sizes and found the size and feel that worked best for me.
    That is the real benefit of a fitting. You get to try it and see the results at least on a shot monitor. It builds confidence which is your No. 1 weapon in golf. Much like fishing only more so. A golf swing is totally under your control. Catching a fish is not.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougN68 View Post
    I sweat a lot so i use cord grips, really liking the new Golf Pride cord Z grips, i moved up to the midsize grips, it seems to give me more control.
    Or you could move to upper Michigan and not sweat so much!

15. Member
    Right now my grips are all over the place. My irons came with golf pride Z-grip cord and have liked them so far. My driver, hybrid, and wedge has pure DTX grips which feel great and have been fantastic. 3 wood has golf pride 360 grip which I’ll replace next spring

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    I think they matter a lot. Your grips are your only connection to the club and that is overlooked by most golfers.
    +1 on this

To begin, everybody has their own personal preferences. I know and have played with people that: didn't know you could change the grips(lol), didn't really care what was on their clubs, had or have a mish mosh of different grips and clubs, have grips so shiny I've asked if they waxed them the night before. Find something that works for YOU and YOUR game.

Call me a snob but I use the Golf Pride NDMC grips, standard size with 2 layers of double sided tape on my irons. My second option is the Super Stroke S-Tech (similar to the Tour Velvet). I like the feel of the cord grip under my left hand(I'm a righty) and the lack of cord under my bottom hand.

I highly recommend a grip fitting or at least finding a place that has different grips and clubs available to try out. Once you've narrowed it down, regrip a club that gets a lot of use (short iron or a wedge) and see how it performs on the course.