Bunks on the trailer

What do you put on the bunks to help the boat slide out into the water?

2. Member

Vinyl downspout cut in half. been on 3yrs. and showing no signs of wear.

3. Member

4. Member
    More water!

5. mikesxpress

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    More water!
    +1
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    More water!
    Always worked for me.

8. Member
    Before I installed ultimate bunk boards,which work great, I was staying at a place on Lake Champlain where you launched from a almost level shoreline. It was so flat that it was very hard to get the boat off the trailer without backing your truck way into the water. Got a can of silicone spray and sprayed down the carpet on the bunks and for the rest of the trip the boat would slide off the bunks with no effort at all.

9. Member
    My bunks start get squeaky when loading and unloading about twice a year. I just spray them down with silicone when they do so, and they are good for months. Boat slides easier and squeak gone.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I use Slip-Sticks. Just do not take your bow strap loose until you want to unload it, because as soon as you do, bam, it is off the trailer!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Thanks for all the idea's!

12. #FRB
    Ultimate Bunk Boards work great for me. They make me look like I'm better at loading and unloading than I probably am because my hull can be notoriously hard to load on a trailer in stock form. I'll probably never have carpet on my bunks again.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I've been using Flavor Furniture Polish for about 12 years with fiberglass boat with no problems at all.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

14. Member
    Ultimate Bunk Boards here as well - no maintenance or additives needed for a smooth and easy on/off.
    This is my second boat with them. Never going back to carpet on wood.

There's benefit from a boat not easily sliding off.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    I’ve used the pvc 4x4 sleeve cut in half on an aluminum boat, and Gatorback covers on a fiberglass boat. Both worked great.

17. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    There's benefit from a boat not easily sliding off.
    For sure when someone's in the tow vehicle for a quicker in/out such as a tournament situation. When solo the easy slide is amazing for backing off the trailer without giving a cold powerhead all it has if you're not backed in enough. Only downfall I see is on steeper ramps you have to sometimes keep the big motor running and in gear while you hook the nose hook. No biggie as long as it's easy to get in and out of.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    For sure when someone's in the tow vehicle for a quicker in/out such as a tournament situation. When solo the easy slide is amazing for backing off the trailer without giving a cold powerhead all it has if you're not backed in enough. Only downfall I see is on steeper ramps you have to sometimes keep the big motor running and in gear while you hook the nose hook. No biggie as long as it's easy to get in and out of.
    This is what I've found, great for solo use, but almost counter productive for tournament/team events where you have a group of guys with a "system" of helping eachother load and launch, etc. There's no quick drop or pullout because you have to make sure you are hooked until water is under the boat, or before being pulled out. With normal bunks you can just ride the driver seat in and out, but with slick bunks I actually stand on the tongue while being backed in, once boat is "safely" over water I unhook, jump in and back off. Coming out, I load to winch stand, but have to jump up and hop out and hook up before the driver pulls away. Always have to be cognizant to make sure the driver is aware of this, as it's not the norm - don't want them to start pulling out when you bump the winch stand :(.

For these reasons, imo for tournament fishing or team/group fishing I would just stick with standard carpeted bunks and be diligent about maintenance on them. But if you are solo fisherman most of the time they are great (except at steep ramps - they can get sketchy at times).

19. mikesxpress
    More than one bass fisherman has dumped his rig on the ramp pavement by not having the boat clipped to the trailer. That's launching & loading. Doesn't matter what type bunk material you have, momentum & gravity will always prevail.