Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prop for XRS with 300R

XRS, 300R, 1.75:1, 1-5/8" P to P.
    I have been running a Power Tech BRV5 in a 28 pitch the last year and a half. I have never been pleased with that prop especially top end. I cracked an ear this past Saturday so I am in the market for a prop. (ca-ching). I did try a Bravo 30 inch for a day a while back and not particularly impressed with it. I ran a Bravo on my 20XD (250XS, 1.62 gears) and was pleased with it but, the XRS is a different beast with the weight more forward.
    I am waiting for a response from Mark Croxton (anybody have experience with his Razor?) I have also reached out to Steve's Custom Props in Texas for his take on this. It seems to me the XRS with the 300R has been problematic to get set up correctly. Frankly I have fought this boat-motor combination since I bought the boat over a year ago. Excessive steering torque finally resolved, terrible hole shot finally fixed so, now I am looking for a little more on the top end while keeping blades intact. In the last 6 weeks two props with slung blades, Promax 30 and a Power Tech BRV5 28 pitch.
    I know Mercury is pushing the Max 5 but, good grief it must be gold plated and the lead time is ridiculous.
    Any comments, advice, experience is welcome.

2. Member
    Ronnie, I run a 30 Bravo for tournament loads and 32 for light/fun days. I had my 30 worked by Mark and it woke it up some for sure BUT I just slung a blade on it so looking for new prop also. I tried a promax 30 and liked how quick it was, not the greatest top end but really fun to drive. Also tried a 30 Max5 and liked it but too much steering torque. How did you keep the Promax from blowing out at holeshot break-over? Did you have a blowout ring and feather it? I was considering trying the power tech BRV5, what did you not like about it? Sorry for all the questions.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    Questions are fine. My blowout problem on both the Promax and the Power Tech were solved with a Bailey foil. I had a used Promax 30 inch borrowed from the prop shop that was balancing and polishing my prop and I slung an ear on it, $500 down the tube. As I am sure you know the Pro Max has a smaller barrel leaving a pretty big gap but, with the foil, the hole, shot was acceptable.
    Power Tech BRV5: Before the foil it you ran the motor more than a 1/2 inch above the pad it blew out pretty bad. My top end was crap with the BRV5 unless at least 1-1/4 above pad and it took for ever to get it to break over. Again the foil solved that and at my current height of 1-5/8"+ the hole shot for me was OK. Frankly hole shot is not all that important to me. I do not mind a small feathering just for a second right at break over. Even at 1-5/8 above the top end is not particularly good. Some of that could be my driving in that my two previous Bullets were 20s and I am getting pretty long in the tooth. The BRV5 just does't do anything particulary good but is fair over all.
    Welcome to text or voice 256.762.0360

4. Member
    Be very careful with the foil on that lower if it is a 300R sport master. It can be very expensive to fix.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

5. Member
    When I slung a blade off the pro max the foil likely saved major damage to the anti ventilation plate. Why the warning on the 300R?

6. Member
    This should be a good thread, my XRS is weeks away... I will run a bob's hydro with a 31 bravo, any thoughts on this combo? Also, is it just me or have new prop prices just gone thru the roof... $2200 to $2500 for a Max5 and $900 to a $1000 for Bravos...

7. Member
    Send me pm and a phone number. I'll send you a pic of a hole shot plate.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davisx View Post
    This should be a good thread, my XRS is weeks away... I will run a bob's hydro with a 31 bravo, any thoughts on this combo? Also, is it just me or have new prop prices just gone thru the roof... $2200 to $2500 for a Max5 and $900 to a $1000 for Bravos...
    I think that will be a great combo. My only thought is that it might not be a great tournament prop unless you don’t mind a slow holeshot or your partner having to get on the deck to break over. I run a 30 bravo (just slug a blade, grrrr) for tournaments and a 32 bravo for anything other than when I need my live wells. The 30 is decent (not great) out of the hole when wells are full. Runs about 84 loaded. The 32 is not a tournament prop but runs 92 when solo and is a fun prop. As I mentioned I slug a blade on my 30 and had to get a new one. I already sent it to Mark Croxton and am waiting on the mail to get it back to me.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Spoke to Mark this afternoon and he suggested a BRV4 in a 29 inch. He said the 4 blade will be faster and Power Tech run about 1+ inch stiffer in pitch than a Bravo. With the foil, hole shot will be OK. Per Marks instruction, I am going to lower the motor about 1/4 inch.

To: DAVISX I agree with jaxbass on the 31. It will be sluggish especially with the weight of the hydro JP.

10. Member
    Personally i think the bravo sucks. It does not holeshot great, it does not accel great, it does not lift the bow great. They slip like crazy on topend, It kinda does nothing good.

At 4500rpm i run 55mph with the bravo, at exact same rpm i run 60-62mph with my performer. Both the same pitch prop, both worked.

With the performer i can feel the hole boat is lifted out of the water,Kinda felt like what my 20XD felt. my bravo makes the boat feel like its heavy and does not want to lift out of the water. kinda feels like im driving a skeeter or a ranger.

I have a Ron hill copy of a CNC cleaver 5 coming. Pretty anxious to try that.
    Last edited by hyperflow; 08-25-2022 at 07:15 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperflow View Post
    Personally i think the bravo sucks. It does not holeshot great, it does not accel great, it does not lift the bow great. They slip like crazy on topend, It kinda does nothing good.

At 4500rpm i run 55mph with the bravo, at exact same rpm i run 60-62mph with my performer. Both the same pitch prop, both worked.

With the performer i can feel the hole boat is lifted out of the water,Kinda felt like what my 20XD felt. my bravo makes the boat feel like its heavy and does not want to lift out of the water. kinda feels like im driving a skeeter or a ranger.

I have a Ron hill copy of a CNC cleaver 5 coming. Pretty anxious to try that.
    I tried a Performer 30 BC brand new and it dragged really bad out of the hole, didn’t do well on my boat even after holeshot. I wonder what your prop guy did to it to make it run so good? If we lived closer I would love to try yours. Did you ever get that Mad EFI? Really curious of how this prop performs.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

12. Member
    Power Tech actually requested I talk with Mark before ordering. I liked the Bravo on my 20XD. The little bit I ran one on my XRS it was just ok at best. The Bailey Foil solved the hole shot problem across the board. Bravo, Power Tech BRV, and Pro Max all did well out of the hole.

13. Member
    Thanks Ronnie, great info.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    D2kstang has an xrs & 300r 1.60. He said in another post that the mad efi 28 has been the best prop for his rig so far. He recently got a stock 28 performer BC 4 and pm’d me it was better than the mad prop except that it slipped a lot on holeshot breakover.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    D2kstang has an xrs & 300r 1.60. He said in another post that the mad efi 28 has been the best prop for his rig so far. He recently got a stock 28 performer BC 4 and pm’d me it was better than the mad prop except that it slipped a lot on holeshot breakover.
    More good info!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

16. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Its really interesting to read about the differences in how different motor combos on the XRS run. My XRS has great holeshot with the 250 Pro XS/Torque Master lower but the top end sucks.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    Do you know if he had a hydraulic plate? I gotta run mine low on holeshot to stop the slip.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    I tried a Performer 30 BC brand new and it dragged really bad out of the hole, didn’t do well on my boat even after holeshot. I wonder what your prop guy did to it to make it run so good? If we lived closer I would love to try yours. Did you ever get that Mad EFI? Really curious of how this prop performs.
    Thats really odd. I got another one coming, im going to try it box stock before i get it worked. Are boats should be pretty close, i run 84 loaded to fish at 6400rpm with the 30 bravo. I gotta run the motor really low to not hit the rev limiter.

I didn't get another mad EFI, That's gonna be on my list for next summer. That and a hydromotive QIV-X OB.

19. Member
    Do you know if he had a hydraulic plate? I gotta run mine low on holeshot to stop the slip.
    Not sure. I assumed everyone with an R motor w/SM lower did.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

20. Member
    Thats really odd. I got another one coming, im going to try it box stock before i get it worked. Are boats should be pretty close, i run 84 loaded to fish at 6400rpm with the 30 bravo. I gotta run the motor really low to not hit the rev limiter.

I didn't get another mad EFI, That's gonna be on my list for next summer. That and a hydromotive QIV-X OB.
    Let us know when you get the new Performer and how is does right out of the box. This afternoon after thinking about this “post” I went and borrowed the performer BC again from my buddy. Going to give it one more try tomorrow.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast