Thread: C Maps

C Maps

I recently purchased a Live unit with C Maps. Is this a more detailed map or am I getting features like depth shading?

THX!
    Roach

2. Member
    The "base" C-Maps (that come with the unit) have the ability to shade depths. You choose the depth ranges and colors. If I remember correctly, there may be a "high resolution bathymetry" option you'll want to enable on the Chart Options screen that shows more detailed contours. I may be confusing this with the Navionics map - I can't recall off the top of my head.

The "C-Map Reveal" (the extra card you can purchase) also includes shaded relief. Shaded Relief is more of a "3D" look with shadows and such. You cannot customize the colors of Shaded Relief. Shaded Relief isn't available for all lakes.
    2023 Puma STS

3. Member
    Your Live comes with C Map Contours + Its very Detailed for a built in map. The CMap Reveal is an upgrade. If you want to see what lakes are on the CMap you can look at it online Cmaps.com A start would be the map in your unit for your area. All Cmaps have Depth Shading including in the Live. Most Fisherman have both Cmap and Navionics as no Map mfg has 100% lakes mapped. The Cmap is superior in regards to depth shading Navionics is very limited in depth and colors available. Go to Pages/Setting/System/About and look to see what map is listed in your unit, If you bought it new you will have the best mapping if its an older Live it may not have Contours plus in it. Good luck

4. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Some new systems have the new Discover OnBoard system built in...which is the same as the external Discover card. If you have the OnBoard, you do not need to purchase anything else at this time.

If you have Contour + on your unit, the Discover CARD is a good upgrade if you are in the SE US (NC/SC/AL/TN/GA) because it contains the Precision Contour High Definition data (PCHD).

The Reveal card has EXACTLY the same data but adds a couple of features like shaded relief (do not confuse this with the ability to add color shading) which gives you a "3D" kind of image....some folks like it but most don't use it.... and satellite overlays...which again some like but most don't use it.

Given the new management taking over the Brunswick Navico Group, no one knows what comes next at this point....I think there are discussions ongoing but lots of changes happening as with any corp takeover.

Either way.... still the best mapping available for Lowrance systems...by far.
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service
    Power Pole - Lowrance - Garmin - DD26
    Regional Warranty Service for Lowrance Ghost, Garmin Force, & Power Pole

Phone: 704-762-9066 --- Text: 704-433-1373 --- roy@wackyriggers.com

5. Member
    Is anyone else having problem with login to update store purchased c-map card?

I logged in with my Microsoft account in Dec 2021 & Aug 2022 to check for updates for my Discover card (Feb 2021, M-NA-Y200.49 North America).
    Did get an update in the August check (7/21/2022 update, 28.19 GB).
    Yesterday and today can't login with my Microsoft account. [photo below after clicking on the login with Microsoft account deal]
    Also tried the change password deal, that didn't work either.
    My 1-year subscription will be up in Dec 2022, just checking for any newer map updates before subscription expires. At least I did get the 7/21 update, could be worse maybe.

The only difference for my Dell desktop was the version of Windows 10. Use Microsoft Edge for my Microsoft account.
    Dell had W10 21H2 when I could login to C-MAP with my Microsoft Account. (21H2 released/installed Nov 16, 2021)
    Dell had W10 22H2 when I could not login to C-MAP with my Microsoft Account. (22H2 released/installed Oct 18, 2022)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tj; 10-27-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    Some new systems have the new Discover OnBoard system built in...which is the same as the external Discover card. If you have the OnBoard, you do not need to purchase anything else at this time.

If you have Contour + on your unit, the Discover CARD is a good upgrade if you are in the SE US (NC/SC/AL/TN/GA) because it contains the Precision Contour High Definition data (PCHD).

The Reveal card has EXACTLY the same data but adds a couple of features like shaded relief (do not confuse this with the ability to add color shading) which gives you a "3D" kind of image....some folks like it but most don't use it.... and satellite overlays...which again some like but most don't use it.

Given the new management taking over the Brunswick Navico Group, no one knows what comes next at this point....I think there are discussions ongoing but lots of changes happening as with any corp takeover.

Either way.... still the best mapping available for Lowrance systems...by far.

The new management would be smart to build a simple model. I’ve found the number/variations of CMAPS available to be very confusing. I own a number of the map cards and couldn’t tell you the major differences.

Sounds like you are well versed in CMAP…If you buy a CMAP card, can you update it when new data comes out?
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    If you buy a CMAP card, can you update it when new data comes out?
    I've logged in twice to check for CMAP updates using the login with Microsoft Account tab.
    Got the July update for my Discover card. The July 2022 Discover update I received was FREE, website said I saved $62.
    Recently can't login using the Microsoft Account tab.

Did get logged in today to my CMAP account, by the forgot password method. [had to click on verify email, after receiving code]
    CMAP website list all my account details, my Discover card, and that my subscription ends 12/22/2022.
    But NOW the website found another reason not to check my card for updates. (see photo) Says to make sure I have my user name and password spelled CORRECTLY, even though I'M LOGGED IN ???

I'm probably wrong, but maybe since I previous login with Microsoft account (twice), which Microsoft Account method doesn't work now, and now have to login with user name and password, may be causing the problem. I doubt if there were any updates since July, but looks like I won't be getting any PAID updates in 2023. Probably just as well.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

8. Member
    Checked this evening, still getting same error as before when using the Microsoft account login link to get logged in to update my C-MAP Discover card. This is how I logged in Dec 2021 for initial card update check and subscription start; then again in Aug 2022 (7/21/2022 update, 28.19 GB).

I did get logged in this evening using my C-MAP email and password. This time the website actually checked my card, and no updates were available.

My Microsoft account works great > bought a movie this week with Microsoft store-Microsoft account (PC, Windows 10, 22H2); have Movies Anywhere account linked to my Microsoft account; watched same movie on Roku's 'Movies Anywhere app' on TV.
    Last edited by tj; 12-02-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI