ADV bike KLR vs V-Strom

Guys I am thinking about getting one of these bikes. I have ridden tons of dirt bikes both trail riding and mx but never owned a road bike. I have watched tons of videos debating the two but looking for some feedback from some of you who may have owned one or both. Most of my riding would be back road pavement with some dirt/gravel thrown in. Unfortunately where I live there isn’t a lot of forrest roads to ride. I am leaning towards the KLR just for price since this is my first road bike but I do like the Strom as well.

2. Member
    I don't have any experience with those 2 models but my son has a Honda Africa twin. He was looking at a V-strom from the same dealer, just got a better deal at the time on the Africa. I don't think you could go wrong with either the KLR or V-strom. I'm planning on buying an adventure bike in the next year or two. You can't leave the pavement on my Heritage. In my little town all we have is a Honda dealer so that is likely what I will choose just to simplify service if ever needed.

245096291_10160292620514903_7866670885208201987_n.jpg
    Last edited by Ship; 08-18-2022 at 04:53 PM.

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    I don't have any experience with those 2 models but my son has a Honda Africa twin. He was looking at a V-strom from the same dealer, just got a better deal at the time on the Africa. I don't think you could go wrong with either the KLR or V-strom. I'm planning on buying an adventure bike in the next year or two. You can't leave the pavement on my Heritage. In my little town all we have is a Honda dealer so that is likely what I will choose just to simplify service if ever needed.

245096291_10160292620514903_7866670885208201987_n.jpg
    Thanks for the info. I love the AT but it is HUGE and I am only 5'8. Not only that it's just too much bike for me just starting out. I want to stay with the smaller 650 sized bikes in the beginning. I won't be cruising the interstate so top end speed and passing power isn't much of a concern for me right now.

4. Member
    Base V-strom seems nicer then the KLR but it shows in the price.

5. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    I have vstrom dl1000 adventure; I am pretty certain it leans more to road than dirt; but I like the fact that it'll do whatever I want from cruising the BRP to carving up the twisties....

I do not do any serious off road w/it though
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    I have vstrom dl1000 adventure; I am pretty certain it leans more to road than dirt; but I like the fact that it'll do whatever I want from cruising the BRP to carving up the twisties....

I do not do any serious off road w/it though
    Great looking bike! I think you are correct in that assessment although I have seen some guys online out the v-strom in some decent off-road situations and it performed well.

7. Member

I ended up buying a GS800 after trying both the others. The KLR is simply a proven ride, but they had just as high a seat height as the GS. All of them have high seats. At 500 pounds you have to be stronger than I am to keep em upright off road. I would have bought the African Twin if not for the fantastic price I found on this bike. It was sitting over two years old and brand new at Bloodworth when I found it.

P.S. I find the two cylinder bikes ride smoother than the big one lungs.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 08-23-2022 at 02:05 PM.

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post

I ended up buying a GS800 after trying both the others. The KLR is simply a proven ride, but they had just as high a seat height as the GS. All of them have high seats. At 500 pounds you have to be stronger than I am to keep em upright off road. I would have bought the African Twin if not for the fantastic price I found on this bike. It was sitting over two years old and brand new at Bloodworth when I found it.

P.S. I find the two cylinder bikes ride smoother than the big one lungs.
    Nice looking bike John. I have really thought about this and decided to just hold off for now. I had a couple friends that can’t purchase anything and I don’t want to ride by myself most of the time. Plus I have always said I would wait until my son is older before getting back on a bike. He started high school this year so I think I will just wait until he has graduated.

9. Member
    Thanks Paul, unfortunately I have torn my right shoulder in three different places so it is going to sit even more than it does already. Hopefully I can get the shoulder fixed this fall and be back fishing, riding, etc...by next spring.