Gas removal - 2020 115 fourstroke

Serial #2B718299

Good evening,

I would like to drain my gas tank on a 2020 Tracker Pro Guide. I have asked around for best practices before I break something.

many have suggested using the fuel line to pump the tank. Is this a recommended practice for a newer motor without a primer bulb? I am told my boat has a screen to prevent siphoning from the full tube.

The next option I considered is to run it out of gas while operating. Again is this a recommended practice for the motor? Are there any risks or procedures needed if it’s ran dry?

Thank you, this isn’t a necessary procedure and I don’t want to damage anything, for my own knowledge I want to know exactly the amount of fuel I have. Using VV link on my lowrance

2. Member
    When I repowered from 2 stroke to 4 stroke I needed to syphon out my premixed tank. I removed the fuel guage sending unit and used that access to syphon tank out. I would have it as empty as possible, so you could use a 5 gallon gas can.
    I felt going this route I could remove the most fuel. I also bought a new gasket when replacing fuel guage sending unit.

Why not go on the Tracker page and ask what the size of your tank is. Once you find that out just enter it into VV . Or you could call Tracker with the Vin # and they should be able to help.

4. Member
    I do know the size of the tank, I also know how much fuel I put in and how much I use. What I don’t know is the exact residual that was there before installing vessel view. The issue is that my boat model is notorious for being slow to fill at the gas pump and basically requires feathering the gas nozzle to get it full. The reason for wanting to the exact amount is to prevent having to waste so much time getting the tank full. I’m relatively certain I am attempting to get 25 gal into a 23 gal tank. I realize it’s not a huge deal.

5. Member
    Running it out of gas is not recommended, Don will likely comment. Removing the engine fuel line from the tank, and adding another hose to the fitting and pumping it out will leave about 1" of fuel below the fuel pickup since it does not extend to the bottom of the tank. Removing the sending unit like suggested in the post below would allow you to get most of the fuel out, if you really want to go to the trouble. If your tank is rectangular it is easy to calculate the tank capacity in gallons, but like you said, it is difficult to fill most new non vented tanks to the total capacity.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely don't run out of fuel, that's murder on the fuel pumps.

Fuel line will NEVER get all the fuel out (on average it can get you to about 10% fluid capacity).

Utilizing a SIPHON METHOD through the fuel sender opening is the most commonly used (appropriate) method. SIPHON (gravity-feed, with no electronic devices involved) is the key.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Does VV link display "fuel used"? Can the OP zero it out after filling the tank? If yes, that's the way to go.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    If you fill the tank with water, all the gas will rise to the top. It will then be pretty easy to siphon out all the gas.
    Come on, man... Let's stick to something helpful and constructive. Obviously this is an example of what NOT to do.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693

10. Member
    Thanks for the info everyone. VV does display the fuel used however I did not know the exact fuel in the tank when it was installed. The issue is my tracker boat is very difficult to fill - a common problem that many others have as well. In other words, when the automatic shutoff clicks off on the gas pump I have only filled say 22 gallons of a 25.5 gallon tank with the current “filled” reading. The reason I have the desire to empty the tank is then I know that either the last 3.5 gallons are slow to get in OR I am attempting to fill 28.5 gallons and when the shut off activates it actually is full.

11. Member
    Very simple. Get a cheap 12v fuel pump with in/out barbs. I mounted mine on a flat piece of wood for stability. Get the correct size clear (I used clear so I can see what garbage it being picked up) hose-suction end long enough to keep the pump a few feet away from the immediate area. Discharge side length long enough to reach your cans directly on the ground. Extend the wires so your battery you connect to isn't near the fumes. I attached the suction end to an old car antenna with zip-ties, this was you can steer the hose exactly where you want it. Go int the tank through the pick-up or sending unit hole. Pump away. It's worked great on multiple boats.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498