Thinking of getting an RV

My wife wants to get an RV but I don't know much about them. Thinking of a TT in the 24' class. It's the 2 of us and a 5 year old so we want room for a friend of his to be able to tag along, too. Wife wants a toilet at least. Mostly looking for long weekend trips along the mid-atlantic. Maybe once or twice a year we'll do a whole week. I'm leaning toward something with a tandem axle for redundancy. When I'm looking at different ones online it lists the 'dry/unloaded weight'. How much is a good amount to add to get a real weight when looking to make sure I can tow it safely. I have 3 different dealers in town so I'll be looking at them, none of which are Camping World. What sort of things should I be asking or looking for?
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

2. Member
    I'm sure the 'Weight Police' will be along shortly. All newbies here from them with check the payload sticker on the tow vehicle, must weigh on a CAT scale.
    I have been pulling a travel trailer since the early 1970s and this is what I have learned. Presently I am pulling a 37', around 11,000lbs with a 3/4 ton GMC Duramax.

If one's tow vehicle is a 1/2 ton with a 3.5 Ecoboost Ford/ 5.3-6.2 GM/ 5.7 Ram/ Tundra I have found that they do well with 28' and below. 28'-30' maybe with max tow package. Under 6,000ls dry, 750lb hitch weight, (yes you will need a weight distributing, anti sway hitch). Add around 1,000lbs to the trailer's dry weight and hitch weight will be around 12%-13% of trailer weight loaded. If these figures are exceeded I have found that a 3/4 Ton truck makes a night and day difference of towing comfort. Can a 1/2 ton tow above my limits, Yes they can but one will really have to drive the rig and white-knuckle, clenched butt cheek situations can and will occur.

I had a 2016 GMC Seirra 1500 Crew Cab, short bed, 5.3/ 3:42 rear gears. I towed a 27' long, 5,000lb dry, 500lb dry hitch weight trailer. Fastway E2 1000/10,000lb equalizing hitch. Pulled like a dream. Would not be scarred to pull it over the Rockiess. Traded that trailer for a 34' , 6200lb dry, 750lb dry hitch weight that became 900lbs wet. Truck pulled the rig OK on rolling terrain, but was not nearly as comfortable as with the shorter trailer. Gave me some tight butt cheeks at times. Traded the truck for a 2019 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax. Comfortable towing the 34'er over the Rockies. Have not had a white knuckle with this set up. Traded the trailer for the above 37'er with little difference in how it tows from the 34'er. I did go from the original 1,000/10,000 pound equalizer to 1,400/14,000 lb bars.
    At no time have I weighed these set ups as I know they fit the tow vehicle towing specs.

Pics of trailers I spoke of

Since you are on a bass fishing forum I assume you have at least a 1/2 ton truck. Any 24' er can be towed comfortably with a 1/2 ton.

Can't help with the floor plan, buy many newbies by more trailer than their tow vehicle comfortably(Key word: comfortably) tow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Figure out your tow vehicle capacity and limits then you can search for a trailer that falls within them.

4. Member
    Aside from tow weights and vehicle tow capacity, I would take lots of time looking at every floor plan that you possibly can! Think down the road as far as possible and “get your second rv the first time”. A lot of first time owners don’t know exactly what they want and buy without researching and knowing what they want the first time so end up buying the second rv soon after they bought the first and take a beating on trade in… it took us over a year to find what we wanted and could tow with the truck we had at the time, knowing that a 3/4 ton was in the near future. The 3/4 ton made it much easier to tow without the white knuckles from the first truck, but we will be keeping the rv a long time as it is exactly what we wanted.
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

Go to a RV Show. Look at each one. Narrow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by catman2 View Post
    Figure out your tow vehicle capacity and limits then you can search for a trailer that falls within them.

7. Member
    Have a look at the Jayco brand.

8. Member
    Get an idea what you think you want in an rv, then visit a lot of dealers. You will find that your idea of an ideal layout will change. If you will camp in areas with temps above 80 deg or below 30, get a better insulated rv (typically called 4 season, etc.). You will want slides, they add weight, but will add a lot of room. If you want to camp in hotter weather, 2 ac's are a great consideration, a lot of campgrounds have spots without shade, it can take till 9-10pm to get comfortable in hot wx with one ac. With a 24' ish rv, unless you have a small tow vehicle, tongue weight probably won't be an issue.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

We looked for 3 years and kept coming back to the Grand Design 22MLE. We have had it for 3 seasons and no problems, "other than self induced rookie issues". We looked at every major brand and floorplan and the quality seemed much better. My brother has a "North Trail" and he likes it but is seriously considering trading in for a Grand Design.
    Definitely keep your payload capacity in mind. Most 1/2 tons have the tow capacity but Payload is a more limiting factor. My old Silverado 1/2 ton will tow mine fine, but it does have some bounce. A weight distribution hitch is an absolute must.
    Sheldon Linhart
    Excelsior Springs, MO
    1995 Dynatrak /Yamaha Pro V150

10. Member
    Some good advice above. A couple thoughts, anything over 30’ pull it with a 3/4 ton, not only for pulling but also for maintaining control when getting passed by semi-trucks on the interstate. Pay attention to how you distribute the weight in your camper, you want it balanced. One more thought, travel trailers are not designed for high speed towing, i.e. 70mph and above. You pull at that speed and you are simply asking for trouble. I pull a 36’ Grand Design 5th wheel with a F250 and wish I had a F350. Overall it pulls well enough but I can feel that I am maxed on my pin weight. I run around 65mph on the interstate and just take my time. Take your time and look at every trailer you can, when you find one you like wait a month and keep looking. If at the end of the month you are still in love then go get it. Hope you find what you like and enjoy the hell out of it!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

11. Member
    First decide if you really are going to use it. We bought a used 34' Grand Design 5th wheel and were planning on traveling. Use it once or twice a year locally, primarily due to Covid, mother in law health & caretaking, etc. That said we have rented AirBNB and VRBO's every year for us and the kids and grandkids someplace for vacations.
    Neighbors purchased a smaller 22' hitch and go camping in the region every third weekend. Have a plan and stick with it. Make it a priority. I know situations change so roll with the flow. Should be able to pick up a good used RV.

Before you decide on any RV make a trip to a couple of the campgrounds you think you may like to stay at. I used to do a lot of camping and it just isn't "camping" any more.

13. Member
    Check with the campgrounds you may want to stay at, if it's anything like around here they're booked up a year out. That's what my daughter found this year, couldn't get a spot. Makes me wonder if it's worth owning a camper.

14. Member
    That’s one reason i sold out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Check with the campgrounds you may want to stay at, if it's anything like around here they're booked up a year out. That's what my daughter found this year, couldn't get a spot. Makes me wonder if it's worth owning a camper.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I never have a issue getting spots but you do have to plan ahead.

16. Member
    Rent one and decide if it is really for you. For many, cost outweigh the benefits. Then decide if you will really use it enough to justify the purchase.

17. Member
    Have a covered place to store camper (ahead of purchase). Sun and water are terrible enemies to a camper.

Good luck.

18. Member
    We are on our second tt. We go once a month usually 7-10 nights. Unloaded weight on mine is7600 lbs. I figure loaded it’s around 8500. I tried towing with a half ton. Did it for 4 years. So much more enjoyable towing experience with a 3/4 ton

19. Member
    Josh the RV Nerd on Utube, very informative....