Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So what makes a Blazer so light?

What about the construction etc makes this boat so light? I ordered a 625 with Suzuki SS! Fished out of a 17 foot nitro the other day and got to thinking about this. Looked up that 17' Nitro and it is actually heaver than the 625. Looked up a bunch of other 20'ers and they seemed to mostly be about 500+lbs heavier. I've never seen a Blazer in person. I just like what I see/hear online mixed with I can't stand having the same as everyone else. I'm sure there are very few if any Blazers in California.

2. Member
    Having only owned one of their bay boats previously, I would say their boats are built similar to the bullet boats with the exception of their 650 pro, 100% composite construction, lower production so they are not a massed produced cookie cutter boat and designed for high performance and speed. Engineered to be lighter weight.

3. Member
    I actually was of the impression that the main designer of Bullet Boats and Blazers was the same guy. This doesn't necessarily explain the speed and weight thing, but it does give some clarity to me at least.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RMabus View Post
    I actually was of the impression that the main designer of Bullet Boats and Blazers was the same guy. This doesn't necessarily explain the speed and weight thing, but it does give some clarity to me at least.
    Blazer splashed a Bullet hull then they made adjustments to it so that it wouldn't be the same hull and they made the top cap different. The weight savings comes from hand laying the hull. When you do that, you roll out all of the excess resin and it saves weight vs using a chopper gun. The top cap is sprayed with a chopper gun. The majority of boat builders use a chopper gun. A select few like Allison, Bullet, and a couple of others actually hand lay the whole boat.

5. Member
    thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Blazer splashed a Bullet hull then they made adjustments to it so that it wouldn't be the same hull and they made the top cap different. The weight savings comes from hand laying the hull. When you do that, you roll out all of the excess resin and it saves weight vs using a chopper gun. The top cap is sprayed with a chopper gun. The majority of boat builders use a chopper gun. A select few like Allison, Bullet, and a couple of others actually hand lay the whole boat.
    This is a factual account of history without mentioning legal issues and is the best description I have seen posted.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    The hulls of Blazer's current lineup of boats are not close to similar to a Bullet. IMO these new hulls are daylight and dark better than anything Bullet makes.

8. Member
    The hulls of Blazer's current lineup of boats are not close to similar to a Bullet. IMO these new hulls are daylight and dark better than anything Bullet makes.
    Are current Blazers handlaid fiberglass or still contain Chopper gun fiberglass? I only ask because years ago like in the 90's I visited Blazer in Pensacola and saw Chopper gun hulls being built. Model 202 if I recall but they were working on the plug for a new 21' extended transom model.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

9. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    The hulls have been hand laid since around 2001 and the top cap is done by chopper gun. Now that Keith and Lonnie Craft no longer own or are involved with Blazer, I have no idea if that will continue or not.

10. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet_10 View Post
    I was thinking same and i have owned several Blazers and Bullets.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

12. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    I was thinking same and i have owned several Blazers and Bullets.
    I stand by what I said.

13. Member
    I actually asked the factory that exact weight question - answer was - depends on when each factory weighs the boat - blazer weighs the hull and top cap before anything goes onto it - no hardware, no doors, etc. So would need to know when the others weigh theirs - based on 20.6" +/- boats per the websites

Phoenix 20 phx - 1950
    Skeeter FXR20 -2175
    Basscat Puma STS - 2080
    Basscat Cougar - 2030
    Triton 20TRX - 1790

14. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    ^^^ This is correct as well. ^^^ Most manufacturers, if any, don't weigh every hull. So, depending on the layup each hull can be 100-150lbs different.

15. Member
    I stand by what I said.
    im curious as to why you believe this? What facts do you have to stand behind this?
    thanks!
    2001- 21XDC-300r
    Pete.

16. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    The fact that I have owned a Blazer 625 and a Bullet XRS. People can believe whatever they like but this is my opinion. Its not a knock on the Bullet but a statement that the 625, and probably the 650, hull is better. Go buy one and do your own comparison.

17. Member
    Part of this isn't always right. Vacuum infusion is the lightest way to "build" a fiberglass, carbon, kevlar, etc... part. All high performance Carbon fiber parts (namely Ferrari/Koenigsegg/McLaren/Lamborghini) all use vacuum infusion because of the weight savings. The Ferrari F50 was not vacuum infused because at the time it was not a typical process, they just laid up those parts thin to save weight. Hand lay-up is a great way to build boats and it is definitely strong if the orientation of the mats bias have been laid properly, which I am sure Blazer does a great job of. They make a great and strong boat. Excess resin is difficult to remove once it is in the mold so it will add weight. Less resin also means a stronger part/boat. There is also nothing wrong with a chopper strand lay-up. Bass-Cat uses this primarily and it is probably one of the most rigid boats out there.

All this is dependent on the quality of materials used...

18. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    So what part of my post that wasn't right? Also, Bass Cat uses vacuum bagging as part of their construction process. I believe they were the first boat company to do so as well.

19. Member
    Hand Lay-up and Rolling isn't the most effective way to save weight. The vacuum bag method that BassCat uses is a form of vacuum infusion. They are using the vacuum to evenly spread the resin and "sandwich" layers of fiberglass together. This replaces an old style of boat or part construction where separate parts or materials need to be fused together. Formally BassCat used weights like most other builders, but by using the vacuum method, they have been able to apply much greater force and a tighter bond using less resin/putty/epoxy/etc... which add more weight. BassCat also uses a mix of chopper and hand lay-up for their boats.

20. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I never said it was the most effective way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast