Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    There is that, but water level control isn't just a simple on off switch. The fact we haven't had any rain other than a quick blow through storm this whole summer definitely has not helped the situation.
    With all do respect, the water level was above normal late this spring, and though Rochester has not had much rain, their has being a lot of rain south to us to the point of flooding. Most of the water coming into lake Ontario is from all the other great lakes, and those areas have received plenty of snow and rain, though you are correct about not being a simple switch.
    However, if the individuals in charge of managing the outflow to control levels for shipping, hydropower, and flooding would do their work responsibly and include tourism, which is a great part of North country economy, we may not have this BS reoccurring problems of flooding or no water to point that I had a terrible time getting my boat back on the trailer which I put in 10 days ago.

What was the excuse last yr that water level was so bad we could not even put in our floating dock in Blind Bay?

2. Member
    Pulled boat out last night cause I knew rain was coming today, so I wanted to put my cover on it whiles still dry, and it turned out to be a total PITA getting her on the trailer. First, I tried putting the trailer farther into the water, but the front roller nearly took out my TM when power loading so decided against it.
    Rolled trailer forward, and I stood on the transom while my friend winched it in enough to get the tip of the bow over the roller, though the keel was few inches short of roller, which I was able to bump her forward by a good hard braking on downhill. Sad that this season is over so soon, since I don't want to go through 20 minutes of BS possibly causing damage.
    I took this picture so everyone can see the crap some people are put through to enjoy a little fishing.
    IMG_20220814_085158377.jpg

Yes, those are ladders to get down to the boats.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Pulled boat out last night cause I knew rain was coming today, so I wanted to put my cover on it whiles still dry, and it turned out to be a total PITA getting her on the trailer. First, I tried putting the trailer farther into the water, but the front roller nearly took out my TM when power loading so decided against it.
    Rolled trailer forward, and I stood on the transom while my friend winched it in enough to get the tip of the bow over the roller, though the keel was few inches short of roller, which I was able to bump her forward by a good hard braking on downhill. Sad that this season is over so soon, since I don't want to go through 20 minutes of BS possibly causing damage.
    I took this picture so everyone can see the crap some people are put through to enjoy a little fishing.
    IMG_20220814_085158377.jpg

Yes, those are ladders to get down to the boats.
    That's not good at all. What lake is that? I haven't seen Lake Ontario since 2 weeks ago, and it was scary low.

When the Great Lakes levels dropped to record lows (about 20 years ago), a bass club I attended had a member from the DNR talk on "Why the Water Levels" were so low. He told us the Great Lakes are fed from the Canadian Shield Area and there are multiple factors that contribute to the water level. One is the amount of Ice Cover on the Great Lakes in winter. If we don't get good ice cover, which prevents the water from evaporating, then that much more water evaporates throughout the winter. Another factor is how well the ground freezes and how much snow fall they get. If the ground doesn't freeze solid, then the runoff gets absorbed and doesn't flow to the lake. Also, if the Canadian Shield and other areas feeding the system don’t get the volume snow, then there's none to melt. The water levels we see now are the result of conditions from last year and years past, from the entire region.

Another note, when the water level dropped back then to the point were shipping companies were concerned of whether or not their freighters would be able to navigate the St Clair River, Detroit River, and St Lawrence Seaway, they wanted to start dredging the rivers and shipping channels. That idea may have been good for the shipping companies at that time but an increase in the depth of the rivers would have equaled an increase in the amount of water being pulled out of the Great Lakes. The bigger you make the opening the faster the water flows out.

All the above have an effect on the water levels.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre Fan View Post
    That's not good at all. What lake is that? I haven't seen Lake Ontario since 2 weeks ago, and it was scary low.
    That's St Lawrence river Clayton area, and the water dropped 4-6" in 10 days that I was up there. They had a couple of tournaments going on, and I think 1 must have been MLF since I fished near a couple of guys that I believe were in it with the cameras, though I did not know that you can use a net to bring in your fish.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    That's St Lawrence river Clayton area, and the water dropped 4-6" in 10 days that I was up there. They had a couple of tournaments going on, and I think 1 must have been MLF since I fished near a couple of guys that I believe were in it with the cameras, though I did not know that you can use a net to bring in your fish.
    4-6" drop in 10 days is a lot of water. At that rate, marinas will have to remove boats from their slips sooner than they usually do.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre Fan View Post
    4-6" drop in 10 days is a lot of water. At that rate, marinas will have to remove boats from their slips sooner than they usually do.
    There is island boathouses and docks in the Thousand Island Park area that have their boats tied on the outside of their dockage or not able to get into their docks at all. I should have taken a picture of this 18' Robalo getting slammed around tied on Grenell island on the outside of the covered boat house, since there was very little water in it. Normally, I am flipping a jig at those dock on my evening fishing outing.

Give you an idea, my friend's dock goes out 150'+ from the waterline and tied up 100' out running 2 cords for power. The last 3 days, I would come in with my TM to the end of the dock and hand walk it to the mooring with motor nearly out of the water.
    Last edited by digthemup; 08-24-2022 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling

8. Member
    Just got to Clayton to see the water real low. Is grass point usable to launch? Any other recommendations on placing to launch. Trying to get some kids on some fish this week.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by behls16 View Post
    Just got to Clayton to see the water real low. Is grass point usable to launch? Any other recommendations on placing to launch. Trying to get some kids on some fish this week.
    I didn't not get to close to it, but I was fishing at Fisher's Landing where things were very skinny. There is a little mobile home community at the tip by the tennis courts where water is normally skinny and lots of boulders, and their docks were already mostly empty.
    Just remember that most shoals that you may have been fishing over, you will now be casting around them.
    Tight lines and be safe

BTW, the smaller your boat, the easier time you will have loading her back on. If you have a 21' bass rig with a big JP like my, you will have one dang of a time.

10. Member
    As the song lyrics from the Edmunds Fitzgerald goes "And farther below Lake Ontario
    Takes in what Lake Erie can send her". Lake Erie is VERY low too and can't send much more to you down there.

11. Member
    Related to various Ramps - specifically Grass Point: Not being a local - I didn't really know the water was low, but the Ramp at Grass Point was problematic on 8/17 (PM) for my 21ft Nitro Z21XL - floating off the trailer was fine but there was a build-up/pile up rocks right where you would start to back out of the ramp/slip-walkway - bounced the prop/skeg pretty good - but was lucky to shut off quickly. Loading - I came in on trolling motor and we walked the boat on the trailer and wenched it up (no motor at all). A younger guy in a new 21ft Triton with 2 small kids was putting in when we were coming out - and he said he had no idea how he was going to get back on the trailer - it was shallow for sure.

Henderson Bay - 8/16 and 8/19 fine, great ramp no problems.
    Cape Vincent - 8/17 (AM) OK - shallow in parts and a long/high jump from the walk-way to the Boat Deck - I am 5-9 and it was basically chest high - so had to sort of run-jump drag myself on the walkway - you could walk down the ramp though (looked slick).
    Chippewa Bay - 8/18 - Ok - shallow going out but trimmed up and idled - no problems

Not sure if the water-level changes had anything to do with the fishing but it was tough - we caught fish everyday - but my buddy basically "blanked" several days. Talked to some locals (NY) at the Hotel - and they said said they were shocked by how tough it was - they said the week before it has been great/really good. Honestly, fishing was only part of the trip - I really wanted to see the houses/castles on the River and the History of the Region - so it was a great trip overall. Beautiful place - may bring my Family up there next year on a non-fishing vacation/trip.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

12. Member
    Does anyone know how the launch is at Alexandria Bay.
    Thanks Johnathan, your post is very helpful!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    Related to various Ramps - specifically Grass Point: Not being a local - I didn't really know the water was low, but the Ramp at Grass Point was problematic on 8/17 (PM) for my 21ft Nitro Z21XL - floating off the trailer was fine but there was a build-up/pile up rocks right where you would start to back out of the ramp/slip-walkway - bounced the prop/skeg pretty good - but was lucky to shut off quickly. Loading - I came in on trolling motor and we walked the boat on the trailer and wenched it up (no motor at all). A younger guy in a new 21ft Triton with 2 small kids was putting in when we were coming out - and he said he had no idea how he was going to get back on the trailer - it was shallow for sure.

Cape Vincent - 8/17 (AM) OK - shallow in parts and a long/high jump from the walk-way to the Boat Deck - I am 5-9 and it was basically chest high - so had to sort of run-jump drag myself on the walkway - you could walk down the ramp though (looked slick).
    Chippewa Bay - 8/18 - Ok - shallow going out but trimmed up and idled - no problems

Not sure if the water-level changes had anything to do with the fishing but it was tough - we caught fish everyday - but my buddy basically "blanked" several days. Talked to some locals (NY) at the Hotel - and they said said they were shocked by how tough it was - they said the week before it has been great/really good. Honestly, fishing was only part of the trip - I really wanted to see the houses/castles on the River and the History of the Region - so it was a great trip overall. Beautiful place - may bring my Family up there next year on a non-fishing vacation/trip.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Great report, thank you!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan,
    Thank you for such a nice detailed run down of all the areas from Chippewa to Henderson Bay, which those 2 ramps are the best design in my opinion being not too high pitched and long allowing you to get the trailer way into the water when it is crappy shallow like the past 2 yrs. I was up there about the same time and fished between Clayton and almost Grass Point, and I did catch a good share of bass, but nothing like before the water took a major crapper like in the last 2 yrs. Fishing bays like Aunt Janes, Flynn, Picton/Eel bay is almost impossible not to loose several lures, especially spinnerbaits to pikes. This is the first yr ever that I did not catch a pike anywhere, but I marked a ton of walleyes, with my friend bringing in about 5 per day with the waypoints I gave him.

Chippewa bay was skimpy on pike this yr, since my BIL fishes for them with spinners and spoons coming around from our place in Blind bay, but the bass was good earlier in the yr on the outside of the islands heading into the channel.

BTW, if you really want to do a non fishing trip is great, but I have been doing family/fishing up there for many yrs, since there is so much for family to do if you go out for early bite and hang with them the rest of the day or take them site seeing in the big beautiful boat of yours. I looked at the XL PRO on display at Bass Pro, but I cannot let go of my '02 Cobra 201DC, which one of the MLF guys called ol'school beautiful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12