Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1999 mercury 175 efi. S#og944201 issues

Bulb tight, sometimes will run no problem,then when wot will cut back and may start back and run fine,then sometimes won't run at all ,like it bogging down,any ideas, have changed fuel separator

2. Member
    Any ideas

3. Member
    The experts will most likely chime in sometime tomorrow.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When it won't run at all, do you hear the FUEL PUMP running when you first turn on the key?

Moving your thread to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for moving, if I lift the throttle it revs up fine ,only when I have it in gear does it bog down and don't know about hearing the pump
    Last edited by lifetime1962; 08-16-2022 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

6. Member
    need fuel psi reading under acceleration , as well as spark test when problem occurs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I do hear fuel pump when I empty vst tank

8. Member
    Changed plugs also

9. Member
    Changed plugs also

10. Member
    So far ,I have the vst tank off, it was good and clean inside, except for a little at the bottom , screen clean but I have ordered a new fuel pump,looks at if it was original since I was in it anyway, now waiting on pump and then we try again

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a pricey pump to just replace....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Serria pump lifetime warranty 93.00

13. Member
    report back with outcome of repair /install of new aftermercet pump
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    pump installed 39 psi now , check compression 119 on all cylinders, still doing same thing, have spark on all coils, have me stumped now , any ideas

15. Member
    figured that was coming , spark on all when problem occurs ????? also very important to isolate which cyls stop working for further analysis , gotta spare ecu handy

16. Member
    Changed a couple of fuel lines and tapped on the ecm and screaming down the lake now, thinking about unplugging and making sure connection is good and leave alone

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    gotta spare ecu handy
    when you have spark on all 6 when problem occurs and have verified compression , fuel delivery is problem , engines with 2 opposing cyls 5-6 ,3-4 ,1-2 likely have bad driver in ECU , i hope its a connection but dout it , it will repeat

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... those Cummins ECU's are known for "loose drivers" on the circuit board. Temperature and/or vibration often trigger the intermittent failure.

19. Member
    has anybody used SAI to repair ECM SIA Electronics | ECU Repair for all Makes and Models

let me know

20. Member
    not I

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast