Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member
    Thank you to all who responded with suggestions. Very much appreciated! I really wanted the Benelli M4. Due to difficulty in acquiring it and having to jump through hoops here in Calif, I ordered a UTAS XTR- 12 SEMI Auto 12 GA today. Thank you Jaredn for suggesting looking into purchasing this on Travis AFB. That was definitely the way to go!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Thank you to all who responded with suggestions. Very much appreciated! I really wanted the Benelli M4. Due to difficulty in acquiring it and having to jump through hoops here in Calif, I ordered a UTAS XTR- 12 SEMI Auto 12 GA today. Thank you Jaredn for suggesting looking into purchasing this on Travis AFB. That was definitely the way to go!
    Glad it worked out for you!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Glad it worked out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    I don’t agree.

If someone has entered your home, your first priority is neutralizing the intruder. Only effective way to do that is by aiming center mass. Those under the influence of drugs can be surprisingly resilient and still attack and/or shoot/stab you after being shot.
    Trust me Sir, I understand the necessity of aiming center mass. I’ve had the occasion to fight dozens of people under the influence of many different drugs, including P.C.P. I watched a 135 pound man on P.C.P. fight 2 police dogs at the same time AFTER one of the dogs had completely ripped his entire tricep off off the bone.

I have also had the occasion to use a firearm on 3 seperate occasions in defense of my life and/or the lives of others and it is a horrific and disgusting thing to endure…..even when it’s your job and you are 100% in “The Right”.

I support the 2nd Amendment and I support and encourage everyone to train up and use whatever means are available to protect themselves and their loved ones from the madness that surrounds us…..but I also have a very deep understanding of the reality of what occurs AFTER deadly force is applied and I can say without hesitation that things don’t just “go away” afterwords. It is prudent to ASSUME that EVERY thing you have ever uttered from your mouth…. or worse typed on a forum (and subsequently created a piece of written history) will be examined, scrutinized, and JUDGED in the coming weeks and months and at THAT time, the person who I was responding to would probably wish (very much) that he had not found it necessary to get on a Bass fish’n forum and state that he intends to “anchor” a person who he has just shot. We can certainly agree to disagree, but I’ll stick to my original assessment that it would be in Big Easy’s best interest to simply remove the post and force the lawyers to subpoena some or all of us to testify as to what we read…😂.

Seriously, I wasn’t trying to be a dick or sound like someone who doesn’t know how to mind his own business when I suggested that he remove the post. I’ve just seen way too many people have there every thought, choice, words, scrutinized after doing what they had to do to protect themselves or their loved ones.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    You should REALLY consider having this post removed. God forbid that you ever have to ACTUALLY shoot someone, but if you do, I can promise you that we will be seeing this post on every mainstream news outlet.
    Unlikely he will see because he will be in prison.

Unless you are in East LA, East Oakland or Stockton you are unlikely to need that gun. Maybe a dog would be a better investment. Plenty of dogs in the shelters.

6. Member
    Get the flashlight attachment so you can mount a small one on the barrel

7. Member
    All good advice on gun selections - but unlike pretty much everyone on here, I’ve actually experienced a home invasion, and utilized a shotgun to defend it.

Based on that experience, I will tell you that the most important detail, regardless of what gun brand you choose, is THE LIGHT. If you ever need it, it will most likely be in a low light situation, with you half asleep, probably not with your glasses on, in your underwear, and barefoot.

Think you feel tough in a bar wearing boots and three drinks in? Well, stepping out of bed from a dead snoring sleep, to combat in your underwear, is the polar opposite of that. The light gives a lot of clarity, creates a huge visual advantage for you, and helps you make sure you’re not shooting someone you may know. Of course, all of this is assuming that you’ve trained so much with the weapon that the buttons on it are automatic for you.

Invest in a high dollar light set up - you can thank me later :).

A good handgun with laser sights, and some target practice. Shotguns are messy indoors. And overkill for close quarters. Too much blood splatter and transmission of unwanted solid bits. And a ton more holes in the wall to fill afterwards.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    All good advice on gun selections - but unlike pretty much everyone on here, I’ve actually experienced a home invasion, and utilized a shotgun to defend it.

Based on that experience, I will tell you that the most important detail, regardless of what gun brand you choose, is THE LIGHT. If you ever need it, it will most likely be in a low light situation, with you half asleep, probably not with your glasses on, in your underwear, and barefoot.

Think you feel tough in a bar wearing boots and three drinks in? Well, stepping out of bed from a dead snoring sleep, to combat in your underwear, is the polar opposite of that. The light gives a lot of clarity, creates a huge visual advantage for you, and helps you make sure you’re not shooting someone you may know. Of course, all of this is assuming that you’ve trained so much with the weapon that the buttons on it are automatic for you.

I personally don't understand the need for a light. I understand blinding the person in the light but all of his buddies will know actually where you are and take you out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassfriend View Post
    I personally don't understand the need for a light. I understand blinding the person in the light but all of his buddies will know actually where you are and take you out.
    Just based on my personal experience. I’m sure in urban combat situations it may be different. My experience was different from that.

11. Member
    I have never had the need to use one but most trainers and experts agree that’s light of some sort is very important. The opinion is not universal but it is certainly the majority opinion.

12. Member
    Good point Blake and that sucks you had to endure such an encounter. My tac shotgun absolutely has a light. Imho they are essential.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMH&F View Post
    German Sheperd
    yep...I'm armed with two, GSD... One primary, one backup. Absolutely NO ONE will come into my house. lol

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WOW View Post
    yep...I'm armed with two, GSD... One primary, one backup. Absolutely NO ONE will come into my house. lol
    I have a GSD now, but looking at my incident I’m pretty sure a dog would have made things more complicated. It was chaotic enough as it was. Unless you’ve done specific training with your dog, it would surprise me if the dog wouldn’t make the situation more difficult to sort out in the dark.

That said, I have two fierce 100 pound dogs now. And a nine pound female Dauschaund that’s 12 years old - I’m confident she would attack relentlessly without hesitation, while the other two ran for cover. She is just a killer lol.

15. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post

10000 percent agree. We had a similar situation a few months back. 3 am, guy at front door turning door knob and yelling while also beating on the door. It all worked out well but I was standing at my door with a gun in my underwear. My weapon mounted light absolutely gave me the advantage. Guy went to jail unharmed.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

16. Banned
    Benelli m4.. there is no substitute

17. Member
    I'll be honest...having a shotgun beside my bed sounds like a good idea, but the reality is that if someone came into my home in the dead of night with the intent to do harm I'm a goner. If they were gonna ransack the joint and steal all my worldly possessions chances are I won't hear them over my noise machine any way.

If they came into my bedroom first I'd have to remove my CPAP, then get my glasses (as I doubt they would wait for me to put in my contacts) on, then go pee...then, we could get down to business.

-b-

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzbrent View Post
    I'll be honest...having a shotgun beside my bed sounds like a good idea, but the reality is that if someone came into my home in the dead of night with the intent to do harm I'm a goner. If they were gonna ransack the joint and steal all my worldly possessions chances are I won't hear them over my noise machine any way.

If they came into my bedroom first I'd have to remove my CPAP, then get my glasses (as I doubt they would wait for me to put in my contacts) on, then go pee...then, we could get down to business.

-b-
    LOL! This is so true for me too, but you’d be amazed at how fast that CPAP machine gets ripped off under duress. Clears off the whole nightstand, lamp included.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456