Thread: Lake George

Lake George

How is Lake George for bass fishing? I assume it's a total tourist trap and filled with jet skiers and pleasure boats and is miserable for a bass fisherman. Yet, it's closer to my house than Plattsburgh (where I normally go) so I'm kinda curious as it has more accommodations to keep my wife and kid busy while I fish. Any thoughts on Lake George? How's the fishing compare to the northern end of Champlain?
    Last edited by paul40269; 08-11-2022 at 08:56 PM.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    launch fees are crazy i hear prepare for your boat to be gone over for the worst boat inspection you have ever encountered. plus the pleasure boat crew.. with all that said I hear its dam good fishing. ill stay away though too many other great fishing lakes in NY with way less hassle.

3. Member
    Never fished due to boat launch prices. I pass it and head to ticonderoga.
    🎣Tight Lines! I can`t teach you to want it!

4. Member
    Lake George is great for fishing but you have to put up with the launch fee bs, excessive boat checks, nyc and downstate attitudes/entitlement, high volumes of pleasure boaters.. if you’re good with that and don’t let stuff get to you then it can be a great time. We usually try to avoid the lake George area in general like the plague..

basically the residents try as hard as possible to veer recreational anglers and tournaments away from lake George.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 08-11-2022 at 04:01 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Lake George is great for fishing but you have to put up with the launch fee bs, excessive boat checks, nyc and downstate attitudes/entitlement, high volumes of pleasure boaters.. if you’re good with that and don’t let stuff get to you then it can be a great time. We usually try to avoid the lake George area in general like the plague..

basically the residents try as hard as possible to veer recreational anglers and tournaments away from lake George.
    Absolutely agree. The smallmouth and largemouth fishing is very good. The lake is extremely clear and scenery gorgeous.
    Good restaurants also. One of my favorites.
    After all that said, I never go there anymore for all the above reasons.
    If I were to go back, I would find a place to stay where I could keep my boat at the dock and only have to launch and go through those boat checks once. The main launch ramps hours are not friendly for fisherman also.
    You can get your boat inspected before you get to the lake on the main interstate.

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it'd be worth a try in the off season. Constant jet ski and pleasure boat traffic really gets under my skin. lol. I remember fishing Candlewood one summer and after 9 am, my boat was constantly rocking back and forth from all the traffic.

7. Member
    Last edited by jerzia; 08-12-2022 at 09:49 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    i hear prepare for your boat to be gone over for the worst boat inspection you have ever encountered.
    I went to Colorado last year to pick up a boat. When we went to the local lake for a test drive, you first had to pull into decontamination station. They hosed down the boat and motor with water just below boiling. Then proceeded to fill the livewells, cooler, and bilge with the same. The worst was hooking up the muffs and running the motor with the same water. Only then do they wrap a metal wire cable on your trailer with a little tag on it, and record your data. This was all on a boat I was buying! �� While I suppose I understand the care they take, but sure isn't good for the boat or motor.

[QUOTE=jerzia;12626716][QUOTE=KandKKustomz;12625199]i hear prepare for your boat to be gone over for the worst boat inspection you have ever encountered.
    I went to Colorado last year to pick up a boat. When we went to the local lake for a test drive, you first had to pull into decontamination station. They hosed down the boat and motor with water just below boiling. Then proceeded to fill the livewells, cooler, and bilge with the same. The worst was hooking up the muffs and running the motor with the same water. Only then do they wrap a metal wire cable on your trailer with a little tag on it, and record your data. This was all on a boat I was buying! �� While I suppose I understand the care they take, but sure isn't good for the boat or motor.
    And after all that, whether it be where you were, or here in NYS and every place in between, one flock of ducks that spent a day in lake "A" which has all those terrible weeds and other creepy crawlers, flies to clean, pristine Lake "B" and as they swim and dunk for a little bath, all the little micro pieces of vegetation and creatures from lake "A" find a brand new home... Yet it's the boaters fault.

As for being checked at boat ramps. First thing I do is ask the person nicely and respectfully, by what authority do they check my equipment. Are they State D.E.C. employees or Law Enforcement? Is there a new state law that I haven't heard of?

99% of the time they admit that they have no authority and are just teens making some extra summer money, paid, part time, and hired by the Local Lake Home Owners Association (Who make up their own rules). Others are young people doing volunteer work or study assignments for the local college. When that is the case, I do not consent to any inspection of my equipment, which is something I do, within reason and common sense, by my self.
    Last edited by OBT; 08-12-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

10. Member
    If you fish in the ADKs, or any water 10miles within the blue line, it is a law that boats have to be inspected. You can do your own inspection and fill out a form to avoid the cleaning stations, but its obvious when people are lying.

The others are mostly ran by lake associations or state volunteers and cannot prevent you from launching. The lake associations are a lot more strict that state volunteers.. I’ve met with quite a few that are Paul Smiths and SUNY Cobleskill students and are more than pleasant to talk to. The only bad run ins with lake stewards were association appointed. Even after being polite and asking them not to touch our boats they took it to an extreme.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    If you fish in the ADKs, or any water 10miles within the blue line, it is a law that boats have to be inspected. You can do your own inspection and fill out a form to avoid the cleaning stations, but its obvious when people are lying.

The others are mostly ran by lake associations or state volunteers and cannot prevent you from launching. The lake associations are a lot more strict that state volunteers.. I’ve met with quite a few that are Paul Smiths and SUNY Cobleskill students and are more than pleasant to talk to. The only bad run ins with lake stewards were association appointed. Even after being polite and asking them not to touch our boats they took it to an extreme.
    our friend at Canadarago rings a bell lol

12. Member
    I honestly cant fault them with the boat inspections though.
    Maybe that is why the lake is so clear and not many invasive plants.
    Just thinking of the good things.
    The lack of ramps and disrespect from the Lake George community may be a different issue.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    I honestly cant fault them with the boat inspections though.
    Maybe that is why the lake is so clear and not many invasive plants.
    Just thinking of the good things.
    The lack of ramps and disrespect from the Lake George community may be a different issue.
    I always say bass boat guys are Like Harley or corvette guys 90 percent keep there stuff pristine. I'd eat off my motor or bottom hull of my boat before going to any lake.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    I always say bass boat guys are Like Harley or corvette guys 90 percent keep there stuff pristine. I'd eat off my motor or bottom hull of my boat before going to any lake.
    Not entirely sure it’s the motor or hull that’s the problem. It’s probably the trailer holding grass at all of those pinch points or the carpet on your bunks. Amazing how much crap your carpet traps. Sort of the same reason why so many trout streams have banned felt soles on wading shoes.