Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The C6O2 material sounds a trusted foundry material, and hard to get, you wouldn't think it would be so if it was not good stuff. Gary and the people at NFC are trying and innovating things much more than anyone else, if that is not what you want you can buy GLX (30+ yrs), or NRX (15+ yrs), SCV (15+ yrs) technology. Original carbon fiber size on their scale was 160, GLX was designed at 100 and was a real innovation at the time, Gary is playing with stuff that is 8, this means more carbon in the prepeg, no need for scrim (which automatically raises modulus) and less resin (also raises modulus), a denser but lighter material. NFC is not for everyone; they don't try to be. I see no point in complaining when you can just go elsewhere. Why different weights? They are different powers, do you want to see the tips action, or a big bow in the rod? All rods look the same at full load, the more you load them, the more the tip points straight to the load nothing to see there when that happens, thought this stuff would be obvious as you use these things and hopefully bend them also.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 10-16-2022 at 11:08 AM.

Ha. I thought Gary was just kidding about the intro price. Thought I would pick one up later. Holy Guacamole! Got ‘em listed for 325.- He’s good about running sales so maybe I still have a chance.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    I have two on order. I am thinking either two casting rods or one casting and one spinning rod. We will see.

4. Member
    This is their #1 selling blank, the best seller of all lines just built in this material, just how bad do we think it could be? They also are making it in a surf rod, not the way I would go if I thought it was a dodgy material, those guys can be fanatics about their gear.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 10-17-2022 at 12:59 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    This is their #1 selling blank, the best seller of all lines just built in this material, just how bad do we think it could be? They also are making it in a surf rod, not the way I would go if I thought it was a dodgy material, those guys can be fanatics about their gear.
    I don't think anyone was saying they were going to be bad. Just that the deflection charts don't make sense...they don't...here's 4 blanks that it would be reasonable for someone to want to compare.

IM SJ704 24 oz weight
    IM MB704 16 oz weight
    Delta MB714 20 oz weight
    Xray MB724 22oz weight

Explain how this makes comparing blanks for a remedial rod builder like myself easier.

NFC blanks are good when they're straight and you can get them in a reasonable about of time. They're a decent value when they're on sale which is almost always because I don't know who would pay $250 for an Xray (or any of them really) that might be straight when you can get an RX10 or Point Blank or Hydra Ng for $100 or more less...they're just as good.

I bought two of the C6O2's because I have a problem...that being said, even if fish jump directly into the livewell when I point it at them I'm unlikely to buy another at $325.

I think it's time to ask...are you on NFC's payroll?

6. Member
    Remember though that the $325 suggests the regular price will be 50% of that. Whether sales bring it down to $150 again, who knows. Normal NFC prices are 50% of msrp. Sale prices can be better.
    Last edited by dv616; 11-08-2022 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Grammar issues

7. Member
    Ordered two of these blank’s august 12th and still have not received them. Order 4 grips from NFC July 31st and have not received that order either and they were not listed out of stock when I placed the order. Anyone else having the same problems ??

8. Member
    They’re a bit slow on shipping. My only complaint about them. If you have builds planned, you might want to call them and get an idea on the time frame. I’ve had to cancel an order once when I found out they weren’t planning on getting stock until weeks after I needed to start a build - I wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t called.

9. Member
    They are pretty slow at shipping. I think they usually ship in 2-4 weeks, then delivery is another 1-2 weeks.

if you ordered in July, then I would be calling them. You can also make an account on rodbuilding.org and contact Aleks Maslov (owner of Rodbuilding.org) and I believe he is one of the head managers at NFC
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    If it's one of the new ones (C6O2) it's going to come when it comes. When I called them a couple of weeks ago they told me another month but it sounded like they hadn't even been made yet. I ordered them 8/8. Honestly I'd be shocked if they show up before the first of they year. Their ship times briefly got better, at least now if you call and leave a message someone will get back to you. My expectations from them in terms of timeliness and the blanks being straight are pretty low. One thing that I have noticed is that the Deltas are usually straighter on average than the IM, HM or Xray. For around $40-$50 when on sale (plus the $10 excise they charge you) they're a decent value and a pretty good blank. The Delta DS6107, Zentrons and the SJ 04-06's all make a nice, affordable rod.

11. Member
    All of the x ray rods I have ordered have been straight and shipped in a reasonable time. The new rod blanks I’m not concerned with because I was told 45 days so I wasn’t expecting them soon. The grips is a different story though. Was told the first time within 30 days then another time within 10 days so I waited 19 days afterwards and told them how unhappy I was and this is bad business and Alex responded like I was a ******* for being unhappy. Really wanted to buy blanks with the sale going on now but I couldn’t do it because of the situation with the grips which are not even listed out of stock like the 1k are so I just don’t understand. Like the products but I’m not sure if I can ever order from them again.

12. Member
    Just bumping this thread up to see if anyone received their New NFC blanks yet...I ordered two in August also but nothing yet.

13. Member
    Nope

14. Member
    NFC says they have a batch made and sending them out, message was just after Thanksgiving.

15. Member
    Just an update for those waiting:

I received my blank yesterday. I've only done a quick inspection and weighed it, but so far so good. The blank is perfectly straight and the surface looks great. It weighs 1.66 oz or 47g (my MB724-1 X-Ray weighs 1.91 oz or 54 g). I ordered in early August (I think on the 7th). I expected a very long wait given it was a new blank and I wasn't planning to get to it until after the holidays so it is all good with me as long as it performs out on the water.

16. Member
    The C6O2 is not that really that much of an unknown, they gave us the ERN and AA, they told us which blank they modelled it after, we have that blank's ERN and AA, they told us what that blank was modelled after, and a lot of us have handled and fished that blank over decades, it is a "standard" that many other rods get compared to. Not really a surprise, unknown blank.

17. Member
    I got my 2 blanks on Friday and built one of them this weekend. They are stupid light (1.63oz and 1.65). I had to see if I could get one built to come in under 3oz. AmTak carbon seat, 5 cork rings for the grip, 4 for the butt and 10 guides built Revolver came in at 2.910oz. The AmTak seat is very nice (21 grams with a foam arbor reamed to fit) but could have also most likely gotten it lighter with a modified ECSM (shortened and cut the bottom out RF lite style) or an SK but I don't prefer those. It's pretty much the same power as any NFC MB705. I did cut it to 7'.

One was straight and one had a little curve but both were essentially fine. The only thing that was really a little bit weird with these is that the OD is slightly bigger around where the reel seat goes than it is at the butt end. I didn't really notice it until I had reamed my rings and they got tight about 8-9" from the butt end and then got loose (like 0.07" when I measured).

18. Member
    Did everyone see the pics of the 450 lb. tuna caught on the saltwater version of the C6O2? Must be some decent material to hold up to that, not many make all carbon bluewater saltwater blanks even today. With the surf blank out there, they are on the move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12