Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FYI- follow up on shifting problem. I was having the exact same issue, I didn’t go back and read all comments, but someone suggested if I had the new style rubber HD hub, it can contribute to the issue.

I got the rubber hub out with a ton of effort, and used a regular HD hub with snubber strips.

All shifting issues cleared.

worth a mention.

Good luck
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    FYI- follow up on shifting problem. I was having the exact same issue, I didn’t go back and read all comments, but someone suggested if I had the new style rubber HD hub, it can contribute to the issue.

I got the rubber hub out with a ton of effort, and used a regular HD hub with snubber strips.

All shifting issues cleared.

worth a mention.

Good luck

Interesting... but fully believable as the SSR is designed to reduce "clutch rattle" (thus keeping the clutch loaded more of the time).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Interesting... but fully believable as the SSR is designed to reduce "clutch rattle" (thus keeping the clutch loaded more of the time).
    Is there a way to identify which one I need to get?
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassnChris View Post
    Is there a way to identify which one I need to get?
    More importantly- which one do you HAVE? I would not expect an SSR kit to improve your shifting OUT of gear (it would however remove SOME of the harshness going INTO gear).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    More importantly- which one do you HAVE? I would not expect an SSR kit to improve your shifting OUT of gear (it would however remove SOME of the harshness going INTO gear).
    I got out to the lake today.
    I pulled the the cowling and backed down the ramp.
    I disconnected the shift cable.
    With the engine running I was able to manually shift by hand to get it into FWD with no trouble at all.
    I was unable to get it back into neutral manually shifting by hand.

That kind of rules out the shift control box, right?
    Pointing to the lower unit, now?

Thanks
    Chris
    1999 TR-21

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quite possibly. Did you hold UP on the shaft (like the nut and washer do)?

If so, it sounds like you may have a problem with the clutch dog, spool, bellcrank, keepers or even the propshaft itself.

7. Member
    Quite possibly. Did you hold UP on the shaft (like the nut and washer do)?

If so, it sounds like you may have a problem with the clutch dog, spool, bellcrank, keepers or even the propshaft itself.
    I can't say for sure I held up on it.
    I will try again this week to get to the lake if I get time. There is no place close to back down to the water. That's why I fill up the stock tank at the house and use it.
    Gettin' close to winterize time too.
    1999 TR-21

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully it shifts well when you hold up on the stud.

9. Member
    Hopefully it shifts well when you hold up on the stud.
    NOPE
    Guessing it will be a new lower unit in my future.
    I seem to recall that you said little is rebuildable with this unit......and the skeg has the bottom 3" broken off. They had put one of those fix/protecta skeg things on.
    I will have to save up for one.
    Luckily, this is about the time of year that I winterize so waiting does not hurt so much.

Thanks for your help.
    When I get my nickels saved up I will get with Rhonda on price and ordering.
    Last edited by BassnChris; 11-09-2022 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    1999 TR-21

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gotcha. There are a few options on that one, please DON'T waste your money on the aftermarket knock-offs (buy a used OEM before you do that).

11. Member
    Gotcha. There are a few options on that one, please DON'T waste your money on the aftermarket knock-offs (buy a used OEM before you do that).
    "A few options" as in few different lower units that will work?

Thank you,
    Chris
    1999 TR-21

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct. It originally had the old Servicemaster (Standard) gearcase, which is the least-expensive option (NEW).

13. Member
    Correct. It originally had the old Servicemaster (Standard) gearcase, which is the least-expensive option (NEW).
    That will most likely be the one I have to buy.
    But, can you tell me which of the other gear cases I could use and what the benefits are to each that would lead me to choose one over the other?

I would like to make an informed decision and I like 'knowing' stuff

I do thank you for all of your help and I appreciate your sacraficing your time to help.

Thanks,
    Chris
    1999 TR-21

If the THROTTLE cable isn't adjusted right, it'll push real hard on the stop and make it difficult to shift into neutral as well.

Edit*
    I missed the part where you shifted it manually at the engine. Could be a tight bushing where the shift shaft goes through the adapter plate too.

SEI cases offer a decent value for the money with a 3 yr warranty. I sell a bunch of em and most have been just fine . I wouldn't put one on a later Pro XS though.
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 11-11-2022 at 08:50 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    If the THROTTLE cable isn't adjusted right, it'll push real hard on the stop and make it difficult to shift into neutral as well.

Edit*
    I missed the part where you shifted it manually at the engine. Could be a tight bushing where the shift shaft goes through the adapter plate too.

SEI cases offer a decent value for the money with a 3 yr warranty. I sell a bunch of em and most have been just fine . I wouldn't put one on a later Pro XS though.

Thanks.
    I will go the OEM route.....even if used.
    1999 TR-21

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    problem in gearcase clutch mechanism , using merc hp gear lube ??????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Thank you Joe54!
    1999 TR-21

18. Member
    No problems here, cross my fingers. Just so impressed with the help given on this site. Thanks to all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123