Banned

New redfish rules

Anybody fishing for reds in the Indian River Lagoon, be aware that they are now Catch and Release only.
    Some of the other areas are open to keeping fish though. Take a look at the map at FWC to avoid a ticket.

I remember back in the early 90's, FL completely closed Keeping of any Reds.
    Any known reason why they closed it in that specific area?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Banned
    Because there is no longer any grass in the Lagoon due to run off, spawning areas are pretty much gone and too many fish being kept for dinner.

I hate localized restrictions like that. If it needs management then make it for an entire state. And don't give the commercial guys a totally different way higher quota.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    I hate localized restrictions like that. If it needs management then make it for an entire state. And don't give the commercial guys a totally different way higher quota.
    I think that the redfish population in other areas are doing well. It's just the quality of the water in this area has gone right down the crapper. Too much runoff laden with fertilizer, septic tank seepage to name a couple of problems. It has gotten so bad that they have been feeding Manatees lettuce because they are starving due to the lack of grass for them to feed on.