Help! Ultrex calibration I-Pilot Link

Bought a used Ultrex I-Pilot Link (2019 model) without the remote. Installed the heading sensor.

Trying to avoid spending the ridiculous ~$350 for a remote but from what I've read, it's needed for calibration/boat scale.

Questions:

1. Is a remote necessary and can I get away without buying one?
    2. Do I need to calibrate and adjust boat scale? I have a smaller 18' boat compared to the 21 footer it came off of.
    2. Will the regular Ultrex Ipilot remote work or is the touch screen I-pilot link version needed?

Thanks in advance. Trying to minimize cost as I suspect I wouldn't be using the remote much if any at all.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Boat scale is an important setting.

Suck it up and buy the right remote. It’s much more useful than you might think. You are no longer stuck in the bow fishing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    John is right. The link remote is necessary to calibrate, adjust boat scale, and operated the troll motor.

4. Member
    Can you borrow a remote from a friend, then pair and calibrate your Ultrex and return it.
    Lt Col, USAF, Ret., 34 years Active Duty, Desert Storm/Iraq/Afghanistan combat veteran
    2015 Ranger Z520C, 2024 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird Solix, Mega 360/Mega Live w/Target Lock, Ultrex MSI+

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierisu View Post
    Bought a used Ultrex I-Pilot Link (2019 model) without the remote. Installed the heading sensor.

Trying to avoid spending the ridiculous ~$350 for a remote but from what I've read, it's needed for calibration/boat scale.

Questions:

1. Is a remote necessary and can I get away without buying one?
    2. Do I need to calibrate and adjust boat scale? I have a smaller 18' boat compared to the 21 footer it came off of.
    2. Will the regular Ultrex Ipilot remote work or is the touch screen I-pilot link version needed?

Thanks in advance. Trying to minimize cost as I suspect I wouldn't be using the remote much if any at all.
    If the scale is set higher than zero. You better hold on in a smaller boat.

6. Member
    Buy it, although mine stays in the glove box all the time.

I have used it a few times, but in all honesty I just haven't spent the time using the jog feature and what not.

7. Member
    I agree with Catfan above. I have had my Ultrex for a couple of months now and I NEVER use the foot pedal anymore. Buy the remote and you will never regret it. It will change the way you fish - for the better. Good luck.

8. Member
    The first time I used my remote I crashed into a concrete bridge.

While you need it to completely set up the TM, to me it is then another gadget that clutters up my day box.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Where are you in GA? If you are near West Point Lake, you can borrow mine for the calibration and boat scale setting.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    I also just upgraded from I-Pilot to I-Pilot Link and never use any hand held devise and find them cumbersome.

I have a Solix 12, Solix 15 and Apex 16 all connected to the Ethernet hub along with the I-Pilot Link and Target Lock with MEGA Live.

My boat is still in my pole barn and it's too cold to get on the water just yet, but was wondering if since everything is connected to the Ethernet hub, could I calibrate the I-Pilot Link through one of the Solix or Apex..? Or would I need to use the One Boat Network App...?

I have searched the internet high and low and cannot find a definitive answer to these questions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

M

11. Member
    what are you trying to calibrate? What trolling motor? some things need input from the ipilot link remote. If you have the latest trolling motors(2024 Quest or advanced GPS in your link you could use the One boat network for some functions. You need to supply your specifics to get a complete answer. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    what are you trying to calibrate? What trolling motor? some things need input from the ipilot link remote. If you have the latest trolling motors(2024 Quest or advanced GPS in your link you could use the One boat network for some functions. You need to supply your specifics to get a complete answer. Bob
    The boat is a 2018 so this would be the year of the Ultrex. I changed this trolling motor from I-Pilot to I-Pilot Link by changing out the head a few weeks ago. I did not order the remote as they are useless to me and just get in my way while fishing.

Apparently the boat scale is what I am trying to calibrate. I'm not sure if the Ultrex would hold the previous calibration when I had I-Pilot and now have I-Pilot Link.....I am not able to get on the water yet to find out.

The Ultrex is showing up on my Solix and Apex screens but I haven't opened up the Ultrex on the screen yet to see if the calibration option is listed.

M

13. Member
    Unless you got the new link kit (advanced GPS) you need the remote. The 2017 to 2023 Bluetooth link is not compatable with the OBN to my knowledge. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

14. Member
    Thanks for the help. It does have bluetooth as I was able to pair it to the heading sensor, so I will assume I did not get the updated head unit.

Thanks.

M

I just posted regarding initial use of remote for my 2018 Ultrex…
    cannot even get screen readout after new batteries …

am at a loss as to how to do the boat scale or access any feature …
    yes, troll button was “on”…

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers