Exclamation Do clubs matter that much?

As I posted on here last week I'm still learning and starting out. Last year I bought a set of Strata's as a beginner set, I think I paid $400 for the set, came with irons a couple woods a hybrid and bag. My best round to date is a 104 but I'm getting better each round. I also have gone to a Vice ball over my cheapo's and it seems to of made a really big difference in my distance and accuracy, I was pretty shocked at how much it seems to of helped. My friends I play with all have high dollar clubs and drivers. I'm going to save up for a set of fitted clubs at some point. My question is on the driver, I'm thinking of investing in a new driver. The one that comes with the Strata starter set is titanium pretty plain jane. I'm hitting good with it now but of course my friends are out driving me by a bunch which I know isn't all club there are many factors but my question is, how much of a difference does the driver make? Like the newer drivers with new materials and engineering etc? Is it worth going ahead and investing in a good one now and then get fitted with irons later? The one I have now is a 10.5 loft and my assumption is regular flex. My friends seem to all have the 10.5 loft and the stiff flex on the driver, thoughts on that also? Lastly I don't need the latest and greatest and don't even mind buying used to save some money, I'm open to suggestions on a year or two year old driver if you guys have any? One friend has a Callaway Epic, One a Maverik and a couple are using Ping 425's I believe is the model (they really crush). Thanks for listening guys.

Yes, and being fitted for them matters even more! They will help you figure out the flex and lengths you need, all the stuff that matters and is important for you to improve.

3. Member
    Do you get fitted for the driver as well? What are thoughts on buying like a used driver for now that's say 5 to 7 years old? Is that technology way way outdated?

4. Member
    IMO, you should invest in finding a very good teacher. Once you have established some correct basics, then you should get fitted, else you risk spending alot of money
    on something that enhances what you do but is not good for your long term improvement. Example, you might get told you need a more upright bend (which could be true), but it might also be because you have a poor hip rotation (more of a sway) and too much knee flex and are standing up during the swing, or just have a very poor grip. Another example is some clubs come with lots of offset. If you are a slicer, these will fix it, but it covers up the real issue of the path of the swing and poor rotation....If that is what you want to do though to take a few shots off, hit it longer, then do it, but improving the fundamentals is the best route.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

5. Member
    Lessons definitely help, however, you will have to get used to whatever you buy. Golf Galaxy has used clubs and swing monitors and adjustable shafts for free custom fitting and demo. If you go on a weekday when they are not busy, you can really do a good comparison.

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    If you are just starting out, getting fit for clubs is a waste of money.

7. Fishing is a Passion
    I would get fitted for clubs once you have your grip and swing worked out. If you have never had a lesson there is a good chance you are wasting your money on any club, new or old. The grip is the most important part. Most public golf courses will have a teaching pro or a referral. All country clubs have teaching pros on staff. I had my first lesson at 10 years old and probably 50 more lessons since then.
    I am playing Mizuno MP-30 Irons that I purchased in 2004, my driver is a Nike Sasquatch which is 2009. Yes I could get fitted for new clubs but I still get good distance and hit them straight.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    A 4 or 5 year old flagship driver will be light years ahead of the one that came in your set.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    Do you get fitted for the driver as well? What are thoughts on buying like a used driver for now that's say 5 to 7 years old? Is that technology way way outdated?
    Get fitted but buy a used driver. I play a Taylor Made from 2008 and I'm a single digit handicap.

10. Member
    Go check out Pro Link golf in Wichita

11. Fishing is a Passion
    After following this post, I decided to upgrade myself. My brother had given Taylormade Sim Max driver, could never hit it. Went and got fitted for the driver only. Should be ready next week. New grip and graphite shaft about $120. Pretty excited. I have been hitting the same driver a long time.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

12. Member
    Yes. And fitting or trying them out with assistance on a shot monitor is most important.
    When I last bought irons, I tried out all the brands and shaft configurations.
    You could see the dispersion fields for each that was color coded.
    The TaylorMade 790’s with a lighter shaft were the straightest and tightest pattern that made it easy to make a choice.
    Then we played with shafts to be sure trying 3 different weights and seeing the results on a screen.
    When you see this on screen it gives you confidence in your clubs.
    Confidence is a key element in golf.
    Then you get to work on the you and your swing.

13. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Work on your swing and then go get fit.