2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

2. Member
    Next time out and its acting up Open your rod locker and see if the over heading stops and it works correctly. I would put a voltage overlay on the AT screen and watch that to see what it is when acting up. Voltage into the box means nothing in this situation.

3. Member
    The next thing that you need to try is running the Active Target directly to the HDS unit and bypass the SS3D module. I have experienced your issue on various boats and a majority of this issue was caused by another ethernet device IE. SS3D module, legacy LWX-1 weather module, etc.

Try running it directly to your HDS and see what the results are.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    No fix yet
    The next thing that you need to try is running the Active Target directly to the HDS unit and bypass the SS3D module. I have experienced your issue on various boats and a majority of this issue was caused by another ethernet device IE. SS3D module, legacy LWX-1 weather module, etc.

Try running it directly to your HDS and see what the results are. You could probably run this test out of the water. Just monitor the display and see if it goes blank.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Worth View Post

Try running it directly to your HDS and see what the results are. You could probably run this test out of the water. Just monitor the display and see if it goes blank.
    If the problem is by having AT connected to your StructureScan3D box then a lot of us would be having problems (and we don't). However, if your StructureScan3D box and your AT are both not updated to 22.1 then you will likely have problems.
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    If the problem is by having AT connected to your StructureScan3D box then a lot of us would be having problems (and we don't). However, if your StructureScan3D box and your AT are both not updated to 22.1 then you will likely have problems.
    That is actually incorrect. I completely agree with having all products upgraded to the most current Software.

Each Ethernet device like SS3D has an assigned UDB communication protocol address. There could be something with that specific UDB communication that causes an issue. I have experienced this before and because he stated he's already tried a completely different AT system and the same issue occurs, leads me to believe it would be good to at least rule out the SS3D module for troubleshooting purposes.
    Last edited by Matt Worth; 09-21-2022 at 08:45 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Worth View Post
    That is actually incorrect. I completely agree with having all products upgraded to the most current Software.

Each Ethernet device like SS3D has an assigned UDB communication protocol address. There could be something with that specific UDB communication that causes an issue. I have experienced this before and because he stated he's already tried a completely different AT system and the same issue occurs, leads me to believe it would be good to at least rule out the SS3D module for troubleshooting purposes.
    I have no idea what I said that you claim is incorrect? My point is this problem can occur by not running the same version of software. Nowhere do I see where the software version on the SS3D box was confirmed to be 22.1, and I can tell you from experience many miss this step which is why I did a YouTube video about it. If you think the new system can be trusted to have the latest software installed then you would be mistaken (more often than not I have to install newer software than what comes on brand "new" units).

There is no harm in troubleshooting by removing the SS3D from the equation, but if that is the problem you would be right back to confirming first it has the correct version software installed before claiming it is bad.
    ciao,
    Marc

8. Member
    I have been having the same problem for quite some time. I do not have SS3D and I have the current 22.1 software on my Live units and Active Target.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H. View Post
    I have been having the same problem for quite some time. I do not have SS3D and I have the current 22.1 software on my Live units and Active Target.
    Does it become less severe when the other units on the ethernet are on standby or turned off?
    '

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djtavilla View Post
    Does it become less severe when the other units on the ethernet are on standby or turned off?
    '
    I've never checked that. I'll do that next time I'm out. Be worth a try. Thanks.

I have 3 Lowrance units on the boat. 2 16” lives and 1 carbon 16. All updated to the latest 22.1 or whatever it is as of like 2-3 weeks ago. I will say it hasn’t happened in 2 full days of fishing and the only difference is that I’m fishing in 15ft or less of water on a different lake when I had been in 30-40-50 ft of water in the past few months on Ontario and champlain. Also I went like 2 months when I first got the active target and never had this happen once and didn’t fish deeper than like 15 ft in that time period as well. It all started in mid July when I started fishing deeper. So is it possible it is something with fishing deep water and something with the ping distance. Because pinging to the bottom in 5-15ft is probably a lot different than pinging to 50ft possibly.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4

MLF Invitationals Angler

12. Member
    I fish deeper water most of the year in the Pacific Northwest; between 25 and 70 feet except during the spawn. I don't have the blackout problem and have been running these units since before the general public. Assuming everything is wired correctly, has the current software, and is setup correctly then the problem must be related to the power (batteries/wiring/breakers/switches) or else the unit or transducer is damaged or defective. I have mine connected to my StructureScan3D with both black boxes in my rod locker. I have fished all day in triple digit temperatures in the summer and in freezing temps in the winter. I run my Active Target and StructureScan3D all day long (and soon will likely be running two units at the same time).
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I fish deeper water most of the year in the Pacific Northwest; between 25 and 70 feet except during the spawn. I don't have the blackout problem and have been running these units since before the general public. Assuming everything is wired correctly, has the current software, and is setup correctly then the problem must be related to the power (batteries/wiring/breakers/switches) or else the unit or transducer is damaged or defective. I have mine connected to my StructureScan3D with both black boxes in my rod locker. I have fished all day in triple digit temperatures in the summer and in freezing temps in the winter. I run my Active Target and StructureScan3D all day long (and soon will likely be running two units at the same time).
    What are your settings. Because I run noise rejection off and contrast at like 88%

MLF Invitationals Angler

I just went 4 days on Oneida fishing no deeper than 15ft and never had it to black a single time. I’d say about 36 hours of use and not a single hiccup. This weekend I’m back on champlain so we will see if it comes back.

MLF Invitationals Angler

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    What are your settings. Because I run noise rejection off and contrast at like 88%
    I usually run factory settings, but I do manually set the bottom range and the distance range (either 80 or 100 feet). Make sure your transducer is leveled, and not blocked by your trolling motor.
    ciao,
    Marc

16. Member
    Had similar problem. At first right side of AT image was gone, then lost left side of image too.There was no data from ducer on screen. LED-s on AT box showed that everything was OK (Ethernet, ducer connected, power). Restored defaults-nothing. Changed Ethernet cable. Then switched directly to Elite FS , not using NEP-1. Then directly to Live. All softs were latest.
    Checked voltage, at that moment it was OK. AT box was hot like it is in warm days. Tried next day, with cold AT box-no change. Changed transducer. No change. Finally overloaded soft and AT started to work. I think there was something else, this was coincidence. Designer of this system may be can provide ideas what caused this using information that at first AT looses far field part of image up to the notch in the middle, later all.
    Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-9 Live, 3D , Elite FS , Lowrance 360 Vision, Activetarget , Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G3, Humminbird Mega 360 , Garmin Echomap & Livescope
    Volzhanka 46F, Yamaha 60 hp

17. Member
    On the heat Issue, I mounted my AT on the rod box wall but put a spacer behind it so air could flow behind.
    Just a 1/2" nut but gives it some room. Looking at the fins I knew this think gets warm.

18. Member
    update on my issue, Bassfishingelecetronics/Steve Estes took care of me and let me troubleshoot with a module he had. Using his box I barely had any issues, so most likely sending back to Lowrance. I have the 0 degree mount on my turret now, so playing with the angle seemed to help.

19. Member
    I went out yesterday to try several things and see if I could figure out what was causing my Active Target to freeze and turn off and on multiple times a day. I tried two things in the first hour but it still froze up twice. I then propped open the lid of the rod locker to see if it could be overheating. Well, after I did that, it never froze up the rest of the day. So obviously, the problem is the module overheating. I know most guys have their modules mounted in their rod boxes so I don't know why mine is overheating. I have my module mounted on the small end of the rod box where it meets the console. My only thought is to move it to the middle of the long inside wall where maybe there would be more air circulation. I don't have any spacers behind it now. Any suggestions on how others have theirs mounted would be appreciated. I hope this might help others with the same problem. I'm glad to have found the cause. Now, I just need to find a solution.

I have one of these for the really hot days - this time of year it's cooling off even here in Fl so not really needed, but in the heat of the summer it can run all day...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092D8FTFK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast